This is my take on the second amendment, am i wrong?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    My take on the second amendment is that all Americans have the right to keep and bear arms. I know a lot of people say that they were talking about black powder guns, and they have no problem with us having them. The anti gun people can't understand why the American people would need to have any semi, or fully auto firearms with high capacity magazines. Well here is my take on the whole thing.
    When the second amendment was written, they said EVERY American has the RIGHT to keep and bear arms. At the time the weapons they were talking about WAS state of the art. The part everyone keeps missing is the ability to over throw the government if it becomes corrupt. The government has been taking away our rights so there won't be a threat over an overthrow attempt. I believe the founding fathers wanted the American public armed just as good as it's military. How is it that they have LEGALLY been able to infringe on our rights? Why have i never heard of someone pushing this issue, other than most of the media is anti gun, anti rights.
    I as an American feel as the government has over stepped the rights given to us by the Constitution. I am ashamed that our elected officials do nothing to help legal gun owners in this country, we elect them, many of them want to carry a weapon, but do not want the same for the people they represent. Sorry for the rant, but i just find this issue upsetting, I love this country, and i hate to see it slip towards the very thing that our forefathers fought against. Rant over, thanks for listening.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Actually the constitution is a set of rights given to a government by the people in order for the people to retain control of the country, not the other way around.

Yes they have slightly overstepped their bounds with the second amendment. People ask me about my feelings on the second, and my response usually floors them because they forget or don't realize that the second amendment is the first check people get in balance of the government. My take is that if I can afford an all up A10 Warthog, then I have every right owning and flying one.

Some people can't understand that this country is the first in the history of mankind not to have a King, Pharaoh, Tsar, or any other dictatorial leader. That we are the first country governed by the rule of the people.

Unfortunately over the last several decades, and with the advance in weaponry to the "beyond belief" range, we the people no longer rule except by that very fragile arm, the vote.

I believe it was Tom Jefferson who said that the idea of the second amendment was to keep the federal government from getting too powerful, that for every one federally armed soldier, there would be 100 armed civilians in protection of the free people.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    When the 2nd Amendment was written, my ancestors living in Boston at the time owned several cargo ships, all of which were armed to the teeth with freaking cannons.

"Right to bear arms" literally meant any & all forms of weaponry.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    I do agree our rights are infringed with all the restrictions put upon gun ownership. The one thing I could totally see happening though is that if we were granted complete freedom to own anything, what would it cost. Firearms and equipment would be taxed to the point that the common man wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. The government will say here you can use a fully automatic and suppressed AR, it's only gonna cost you the small fee of a 20,000 dollar federal stamp. No matter if we win the 2nd amendment battle or not there will still be something there that restricts it, in this case money.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Actually its getting better, we have many pro gun polititions in office fighting for our rights....Just look here in IN. I can still buy an carry right here in this state. Other states are also becoming more "gun friendly". Yes some states are very anti, which is wrong. I believe the government should step in an over ride them with the 2nd Ammendment, not just leave it up to individual states. Recently the Supreme Court ruled in favour of a gun owner in Chicago to over throw wrong gun laws there. We just need to keep up the good work, all is not lost by any means of the imagination.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I The government will say here you can use a fully automatic and suppressed AR, it's only gonna cost you the small fee of a 20,000 dollar federal stamp. No matter if we win the 2nd amendment battle or not there will still be something there that restricts it, in this case money.

The only way we stop this is to use our vote to make the politicians aware that we won't put up with it, and we vote with our $ when it comes to media and other business trying to infringe our rights as well.

Its not for the government to say what we can or cannot use, as it is a right and we need to not forget that. Any tax stamp (including the current $200 NFA stamp)is really an infringement of our right, and most certainly any that runs into the thousands of dollars is.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    "Right to bear arms" literally meant any & all forms of weaponry.

family-guy-bear-arms.jpg

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    So.......what if i've killed someone with a gun, or have psychological problems or have a drinking/drug problem or have committed arson......Can I still own a gun? :ar15:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So.......what if i've killed someone with a gun, or have psychological problems or have a drinking/drug problem or have committed arson......Can I still own a gun? :ar15:

That's being discussed in another thread, my take on it in is that they used to call it "Paying your debt to society". If that is still the case, that they've actually paid their debt then shouldn't their rights be restored in full?

Yeah I know, what about all the psychos that are released everyday? I think that falls back to a prison system that is hobbled so bad nowadays that they are forced to release people that have not paid their debt. Do I have an answer? No, I just believe in a simple idea; right vs. wrong. You do something because it's right, you don't do it because it's wrong. If you're caught in the commission of a crime then you face the consequences. Unfortunately nowadays the consequences of a crime are a slap in the face to crime victims and other law abiding citizens. :xmad:

Starting to ramble, back to work.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Actually its getting better, we have many pro gun polititions in office fighting for our rights....Just look here in IN. I can still buy an carry right here in this state. Other states are also becoming more "gun friendly". Yes some states are very anti, which is wrong. I believe the government should step in an over ride them with the 2nd Ammendment, not just leave it up to individual states. Recently the Supreme Court ruled in favour of a gun owner in Chicago to over throw wrong gun laws there. We just need to keep up the good work, all is not lost by any means of the imagination.

The feds already have. DCs ban on handguns has been declared unconstitutional. Chciago is being pushed on that issue right now. IL is the only state that doesn't allow CC, or any carry. Couldn't pay me enough money to live in that state.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I think a lot of people are under the notion that if you outlaw guns you will reduce crime. There are many members of our government that believe this, just as many if not more than disagree. The problem is, and I know this has been said many times, is that the criminals that are already commiting these crimes DON'T CARE that guns are illegal.. They are criminals either way. The ones that need to step up to the government are the legal gun owners! Without the legal ownership of weapons we citizens are the ones in danger. And to all of those that think you should ban guns just remember this...

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

schhrdkncks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Ohio county Indiana
    The bill rights was originally written as a limitation on the fed gov not the state gov. Therefore all fed gun laws are unconstitutional but for state gun laws you would of had to look to your state constitutions. Otherwise even laws limiting felons ownership of firearms would be uncomstitutional that is where you would have looked to your state governments. All of the state gun laws being struck down as unconstitutional is not a good thing it is only serving to further centralize power.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When the second amendment was written, they said EVERY American has the RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

This is actually wrong. When the Constitution was written, it simply stated that only the federal govt could not infringe on the right to bear arms.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The bill rights was originally written as a limitation on the fed gov not the state gov. Therefore all fed gun laws are unconstitutional but for state gun laws you would of had to look to your state constitutions. Otherwise even laws limiting felons ownership of firearms would be uncomstitutional that is where you would have looked to your state governments. All of the state gun laws being struck down as unconstitutional is not a good thing it is only serving to further centralize power.

beat me to it...

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    This is actually wrong. When the Constitution was written, it simply stated that only the federal govt could not infringe on the right to bear arms.

So since most of the laws affecting NFA ownership are federal, they should be deemed unconstitutional? I am completely new to the whole NFA deal, and very curious about it. I was just stating my interpretation of the 2nd amendment, thank you for helping me understand it better.

Top Bottom