• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    There is a guy who has a nice pistol for sale and some guy put a note that it is cheaper at Cabela's and he is selling it too high. Well who gives a crap? Drive to Cabela's and get it. Pay for the gas to drive to the nearest Cabela's (probably 100+ miles), shipping, and tax (if applicable), deal with the local gunshop transfer fees. We live in a free country with a free economy. We subscribe to capitalist's principals. If you dont like his price then don't buy it--buy the one from Cabela's. Don't trash someones attempt to sell his gun. Learn how to send a Private message or shut the heck up!!!

I don't think you should be able to post in someones thread a permanent note about your objection to the gun or its price. I put up a Winchester 94 and some bloke asks me if it was one of them Jap model. Well, everybody who looks at my post has to see this idiot's suggestion that the Winchester was made in Japan when it was made here in the good ole' US. It devalues what I am trying to do and I would not be surprised if it was not a tactic some people use to get a gun cheaper or worse--make a competing similar item look better. I have no proof of this but it makes me suspicious but by nature making public comments like these is unethical in my opinion.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    There is a guy who has a nice pistol for sale and some guy put a note that it is cheaper at Cabela's and he is selling it too high. Well who gives a crap? Drive to Cabela's and get it. Pay for the gas to drive to the nearest Cabela's (probably 100+ miles), shipping, and tax (if applicable), deal with the local gunshop transfer fees. We live in a free country with a free economy. We subscribe to capitalist's principals. If you dont like his price then don't buy it--buy the one from Cabela's. Don't trash someones attempt to sell his gun. Learn how to send a Private message or shut the heck up!!!

I don't think you should be able to post in someones thread a permanent note about your objection to the gun or its price. I put up a Winchester 94 and some bloke asks me if it was one of them Jap model. Well, everybody who looks at my post has to see this idiot's suggestion that the Winchester was made in Japan when it was made here in the good ole' US. It devalues what I am trying to do and I would not be surprised if it was not a tactic some people use to get a gun cheaper or worse--make a competing similar item look better. I have no proof of this but it makes me suspicious but by nature making public comments like these is unethical in my opinion.

Don't be so sure, a quick search will do wonders...

A Quick Update on Winchester Rifles and Shotguns. -- Winchester Repeating Arms

But i do agree, if you don't like the price, move on.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    not a Japanese Model

Well, mine is from the 80's so it was probably not made in Japan. The problem is he puts my post/listing at a disadvantage because he put doubt or implied doubt on the quality of my weapon. I would not have been annoyed if he pm'd me but he posted on the actual thread so everyone wonders if this gun is inferior in some way because it is made in Japan.
    Don't be so sure, a quick search will do wonders...

A Quick Update on Winchester Rifles and Shotguns. -- Winchester Repeating Arms

But i do agree, if you don't like the price, move on.

Last edited:

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Well, mine is from the 80's so it was probably made in Japan. The problem is he puts my post/listing at a disadvantage because he put doubt or implied doubt on the quality of my weapon. I would not have been annoyed if he pm'd me but he posted on the actual thread so everyone wonders if this gun is inferior in some way because it is made in Japan.

I see where you're coming from, but i think the vast majority of people on ingo overlook those comments made by others. It could have also been someone who honestly didn't know and was curious.

Either way i'd rather ask/be asked questions via pm also.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i'm over it

I just had to say something but i am over it at this point. I just people would use common sense
    I see where you're coming from, but i think the vast majority of people on ingo overlook those comments made by others. It could have also been someone who honestly didn't know and was curious.

Either way i'd rather ask/be asked questions via pm also.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It's definitely a douche move. The mods do a pretty good job of watching for frivolous comments in the classifieds section, and lay down infractions for breaking the rules.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well, mine is from the 80's so it was probably not made in Japan. The problem is he puts my post/listing at a disadvantage because he put doubt or implied doubt on the quality of my weapon. I would not have been annoyed if he pm'd me but he posted on the actual thread so everyone wonders if this gun is inferior in some way because it is made in Japan.
    If it is a valid concern then the question needs to be answered publicly so other interested buyers also know. Wouldn't you want to know the answer to that question if you were interested in that gun?

I can understand publicly trashing an ad, but asking a question about an item you have for sale is not trashing your ad.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

A legitimate question about its point of manufacture is not frivolous or in anyway denigrating to your product. You originally stated that there was no way that yours was made in Japan then a few posts later you're saying that it PROBABLY wasn't made in Japan so it seems that while the origin isn't an issue with you it may be to others. As a for instance I am in the market for a Barretta 92 but I want an Italian one, not one made in the USA.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    There's 2 sides to that fence also

I agree that a guy has the right to ask any price he wants but why would you waste your time posting a gun for more than retail and I mean way over what you can get it for at anyplace not just some deal in some far away corner

I've seen several guns at well over $100 over what I could drive to bradis and get it for that day

I don't understand people

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I quit looking at Hoosier Topics because of the ridiculous prices some people were asking for stuff but hey, if they can find somebody that didn't do their homework and can get $100 over retail more power to them! Of course we know who's buying the beer that night!

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I disagree

If you put up an add for a truck and I said it looks like that truck needs a transmission then it devalues your ad and put your item in question unfairly....It is against the rules of the forum as well....read above
    If it is a valid concern then the question needs to be answered publicly so other interested buyers also know. Wouldn't you want to know the answer to that question if you were interested in that gun?

I can understand publicly trashing an ad, but asking a question about an item you have for sale is not trashing your ad.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    my position on this

Guns go up in value or at minimum hold their value. I could sell all of my guns for more than I bought them for. I do my homework before I buy a gun and get the best deal. Others may have more money or less time for research. There is a range for market value. I would not feel bad about this either. It is called market value. If you are dumb enough to list your gun for over market value, then as you say it is a waste of time. But you can do whatever you want with your property and/or your money. I noticed during deer shotgun season people were selling shotguns on here like no tomorrow. It is a matter of supply and demand. I asked for the best price on a shotgun at my local gunshop during this time and he just laughed at me saying that there is no reason to discount right now because they can't keep them on the shelves.
    I think making comments about the guns that question it's value are unethical. That is my position. If you have a question or concern about an item the post a new thread elsewhere and do your own research. The fine people of INGO could give you info on any firearm related topic and you can get a good answer. The point of sale is not the way to do that per our forum rules. You could also send a PM to the owner
    There's 2 sides to that fence also

I agree that a guy has the right to ask any price he wants but why would you waste your time posting a gun for more than retail and I mean way over what you can get it for at anyplace not just some deal in some far away corner

I've seen several guns at well over $100 over what I could drive to bradis and get it for that day

I don't understand people

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Occasionally

We all make mistakes. And occasionally we mis-remember or mis-speak. I see your point on the price comment and agree with the boards policy on the public blather(thank you Jack Ryan) and have gone to PM's, carefully worded so as not to offend, if I think someone is overpriced and unaware of it.
    As for the question about Japan, if you have any knowledge of Winchesters history it is usually appropriate to post whether its an oldie but goodie from the USA or a Miroku model manufactured later in the ad to start with to preclude just such a question. If it's not in there to start with it is a legitimate question and appropriate to inform all possible buyers.:yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I put up a Winchester 94 and some bloke asks me if it was one of them Jap model. Well, everybody who looks at my post has to see this idiot's suggestion that the Winchester was made in Japan when it was made here in the good ole' US. It devalues what I am trying to do and I would not be surprised if it was not a tactic some people use to get a gun cheaper or worse--make a competing similar item look better. I have no proof of this but it makes me suspicious but by nature making public comments like these is unethical in my opinion.

Sounds to me he PROBABLY knew what he was talking about. PROBABLY more than you know about your own weapon. If he doesn't want a Winchester that's made in Japan then he PROBABLY did the right thing asking first so when he gets there to buy it he is not stuck with it.

I agree with you on the price blathering. That's a buyer/seller negotiation and no one else's business unless they are buying or selling the item in the ad, not one like it.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Sounds to me he PROBABLY knew what he was talking about. PROBABLY more than you know about your own weapon. If he doesn't want a Winchester that's made in Japan then he PROBABLY did the right thing asking first so when he gets there to buy it he is not stuck with it.

I agree with you on the price blathering. That's a buyer/seller negotiation and no one else's business unless they are buying or selling the item in the ad, not one like it.

Can we not send PM's anymore??? It seems to me like that would be a much nicer way to ask :dunno:

maniox74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Franklin, In.
    i agree a pm is the way to respond to things like that. i know if i had priced a gun out here and didnt realize that the priced dropped in the stores that id want to know but in a pm not being publically minisculed. its too bad that there are people out here that dont do their homework before they respond to an ad and look like a freakin reatrded a-hole.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Guns go up in value or at minimum hold their value. I could sell all of my guns for more than I bought them for.

So THAT'S how all of those used $475 Glocks become $600 on the Exchange?! They went UP in value!
    :laugh:

Over a twenty year period, with normal inflation rates, then yes. Over 3 weeks to 3 months, no they don't. :D

I'm with Jack though. Heck with 'em. People have the right to their own stupidity and we shouldn't deprive them of that.

Top Bottom