This holster doesn't look safe to me - what say you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's a Stealth Gear USA "VentiCore" IWB holster.

This photo was posted in a Subreddit today. https://imgur.com/a/l7reU#Oyf0gtQ

I've seen their holsters before and have been through their website before.

But until that photo, I hadn't ever really noticed just how pronounced the molded trigger in the kydex portion of the holster is.

A molded-in "trigger" in a FLEXIBLE holster.

I now think those holsters are accidents waiting to happen.

The backing of the holster is flexible enough. I think that IWB "hybrid" holsters of this nature are inherently unsafe anyhow - be it this fabric, neoprene (as Aliengear uese) or just plain leather. It starts flexible and only gets MORE flexible as you add age and repeated moisture/heat cycles.

Add in a single layer flexible plastic as the only holster portion and I think this holster is a disaster.

What say you?

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I have several stealth gear holsters, most comfortable Iwb holster around. They don't stretch over time and it's not a neoprene more than a mesh type of material. That's a lot of accusations coming from someone who doesn't own one. You might spend the coin and try one, I bet your ideas get changed

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    The plastic on these holsters are Usually kydex or very similar material. Stiff enough to not worry about flex too much. I've heard good reviews about stealth gear holsters.

Holsters from other reputable companies have a similarly molded trigger guard. The important part is that the holster doesn't move the trigger when inserted. Here's one from bravo concealment.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...D&biw=768&bih=909&dpr=2#imgrc=O71rNtr0M3K4DM:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So what you are saying is that theoretically someone could be wearing their belt so tightly that they love handles will manage to exert enough force through the relatively rigid backing of a stealth gear holster (I own a few and can comment on the backing) that is will somehow magically depress the "safety tab" on the trigger and then exert about 6lbs on the trigger to get it to go bang?

I have some very very nice beaches property to sell you in Nebraska if that's true. "Hybrid" holsters have been used with great success and safety by thousands of people for many many years and the leather on traditional hybrid holsters is much more pliable than the "vent core" stealth gear uses.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It all boils down to using what you like and trust.

I dont like single shell holsters PERIOD! If its not a two sided shell by itself or a full shell attached to a backer its a no go for me.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What's wrong with the single shell holsters?

Nothing, people are worrying about things that are basically not mechanically possible in that particular holster. The "molded in trigger" on the exterior kydex shell does not protrude enough into the trigger guard to active the trigger tab safety and the gun is not capable of moving forward in the holster anyways due to the rigid exterior shell and strews of the holster.

Or at least that is my understanding, maybe people dont think "Safe-Action" Glocks are safe enough to carry in a very common holster design.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I can understand your fears. I would also add that I don't believe they would come true. I truly enjoy carrying in this style of holster when carrying at the 4 o'clock pos inside waistband.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I know of an INGOer (Well, inactive INGOer, who shall remain nameless,) who caught a very well known OWB Kydex pancake hoslter on a B-pillar of a car as he was sitting down...and that flexed enough to cause an AD that put a bullet in his leg. Glock or an M&P. And THAT holster didn't have a molded-in trigger in the kydex.

I'm of a mind that it'd take less flex of that nature to cause a discharge of a similar handgun WITH the molded-in trigger in the plastic.

As far as why I don't wear/use single-sided/shelled holsters: Flexibility on the back side of them. (but mainly because I don't have enough room in my pants because I'm fat). Also, kydex isn't meant to be flexed. Single-shell holsters flex at their attachment points to the leather. This flexing introduces fatigue. Fatigue can mean breakage. Potentially when you need it the most.

The leather against your body is designed to flex...right? Right. Flexible for comfort. That kydex shell is affixed to the leather...right? That means that if the leather flexes where the rivets/screws/etc are - then that flex is transferred to the kydex at it's weakest spots (Where it has been drilled and/or steep mold angles).

Ever wonder why almost no one (well no one who knows better) uses actual kydex to make belt clips any more? Because the repeated flexing leads to breakage. This isn't rocket science, people.

Now - the majority of us on this board are all about mitigating potential issues. I choose to mitigate the issue of plastic fatigue by not buying/wearing a single shell IWB hybrid holster. To me that's a big deal - to others it may not.

Something else: Who thinks it's wise to have something intrude into a trigger guard of a loaded handgun? Not I. Molding a trigger into a trigger holster shell is, to me, ridiculous. The right set of circumstances COULD cause enough flex in a system to depress a trigger. (See my 2nd-hand similar example above)

Feel free to buy and wear what you want, though. Not my money - not my legs.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?42441-Bad-day-my-old-faithful-broke

This photo shows an example of what I'm attempting to convey as to why I personally don't like single shell IWB hybrid holsters from a breakage standpoint.

Here's another: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ters-carry-options/116638-cracking-kydex.html

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not a fan of how pronounced it is, but I doubt it would be a problem as long as the front of the trigger guard is properly fitted. If the front of the trigger guard hits a 90 (as well as the barrel) it cant move forward enough to activate the trigger. (at least not without blowing out the end of the kydex, but by the time THAT much force is applied, you probably have bigger issues)

To me it looks OK, but I think it might be a bit better with a screw directly in front of the trigger guard to provide a little more insurance that the gun cant "submarine under the kydex and slide forward into that gap.

EDIT: I just realized if the gun was able to submarine, the trigger would move farther away from the kydex, negating the issue of the dimple.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't know whether or not it would be a safety issue.

However, anytime you mold a detent or other detail that protrudes into the trigger guard on an IWB holster, you can have issues. In my case, I've experienced IWB holsters that had trigger guard detents that wouldn't allow the gun to be drawn because the belt was pushing against it. That was a bad design and in most cases, I don't see the utility of any kind detent for an IWB holster.

It's a Stealth Gear USA "VentiCore" IWB holster.

This photo was posted in a Subreddit today. https://imgur.com/a/l7reU#Oyf0gtQ

I've seen their holsters before and have been through their website before.

But until that photo, I hadn't ever really noticed just how pronounced the molded trigger in the kydex portion of the holster is.

A molded-in "trigger" in a FLEXIBLE holster.

I now think those holsters are accidents waiting to happen.

The backing of the holster is flexible enough. I think that IWB "hybrid" holsters of this nature are inherently unsafe anyhow - be it this fabric, neoprene (as Aliengear uese) or just plain leather. It starts flexible and only gets MORE flexible as you add age and repeated moisture/heat cycles.

Add in a single layer flexible plastic as the only holster portion and I think this holster is a disaster.

What say you?

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Some very intriguing and thought producing posts have been made here in what I didn't expect to see much traffic. At this juncture, does one consider the holster to be a wear item? I know that I've discarded a couple (not a lot) for wearing out in their own individual ways. And if it is considered a wear item, does it matter much that breakages can happen since at that point I've resorted to acknowledging that the piece will fail one day and should be inspected prior to wear every time with a backup at the ready for when the time comes?
    A second option is to learn what others have come to rely on. What sorts of holsters/makes/models/styles have others found to be adequate?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Some very intriguing and thought producing posts have been made here in what I didn't expect to see much traffic. At this juncture, does one consider the holster to be a wear item? I know that I've discarded a couple (not a lot) for wearing out in their own individual ways. And if it is considered a wear item, does it matter much that breakages can happen since at that point I've resorted to acknowledging that the piece will fail one day and should be inspected prior to wear every time with a backup at the ready for when the time comes?
    A second option is to learn what others have come to rely on. What sorts of holsters/makes/models/styles have others found to be adequate?

I was thinking about this very thing as I was typing my previous post, actually. Is/are holsters "consumable goods"? SHOULD they be? I guess if one has a holster like I've talked about above (kydex outer half affixed to leather) - then perhaps one should consider them to be consumable goods.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    What's wrong with the single shell holsters?

Nothing, people are worrying about things that are basically not mechanically possible in that particular holster. The "molded in trigger" on the exterior kydex shell does not protrude enough into the trigger guard to active the trigger tab safety and the gun is not capable of moving forward in the holster anyways due to the rigid exterior shell and strews of the holster.

Or at least that is my understanding, maybe people dont think "Safe-Action" Glocks are safe enough to carry in a very common holster design.

I wore a King Tuk holster IWB for a while when I was carrying my shield daily. The leather on the single shell holster would push into the opening causing me to have to angle the tip towards my hip to push pressure on the leather to allow the gun to re-holster. I decided that since its not a good Idea to point the front of the gun at anything im not willing to destroy I stopped carrying it.

I now use a Henry Holster that is a full shell and wear it the same way as the King Tuk but the gun goes in just as smooth as it comes out. But I guess I'm just worrying about something thats basically not mechanically possible.

I ended up giving mine away to a guy that his kydex or molded plastic broke on his King Tuk at the 90 degree bend where it attaches to the leather.

Full Shell or nothing at all for me. But hey to each their own.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I like Crossbreeds for IWB, I have several. The one for my M&P9 has seen the most use and the cowhide backing has become somewhat floppy. I also trimmed the leather to allow a full grip. A while back I was concerned about the leathers flexibility so I tried every conceivable angle to see if the leather could be made to actuate the trigger. It couldn't as it was too wide and blunt to even touch the trigger, but if I'd trimmed more than I did it could have. I hadn't considered the "submarine" possibility, so I just tried and I can't see that as a realistic issue for any of my holsters.

FWIW, it appears that Crossbreed will replace the leather under warranty; here's an email exchange with them about my floppy leather....

Hello mammynun,

Thank you for contacting us!

Our lifetime warranty includes if the leather is no longer properly working with the holster. If you want to upgrade the existing leather on the holster from cowhide to horsehide, we perform that service for $15 if you want to upgrade to the horsehide. If so, I can provide you details regarding that or a standard warranty repair.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Have a great day,

Tom
    CrossBreed Customer Service

info@cbholsters.com
    Ph: 1-888-732-5011
    www.crossbreedholsters.com

crossbreed_logo3.jpg

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 5:27 AM, <mammynun> wrote:

Does your lifetime warranty include leather that’s lost its stiffness? I have 3 of your ST’s and the one that gets the most use has become floppy. I’ve decided that horsehide is the way to go in the future...

​After checking the angles, I decided I didn't need to take them up on the leather replacement offer, but it's good to know it's an option if I change my mind...

Top Bottom