• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That was a great video. Yes, he is a great shot and I am glad that bear chose to live.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That was the most incredible work done with a bolt action that I've ever seen.
    He shoots almost like someone with a semi-auto, but with better accuracy and far greater power shooting a .300 Winchester Magnum.
    Definitely glad that bear decided to turn at the last moment instead of requiring a defensive shot, which would have been a shame for her cubs.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There is nothing more satisfying than connecting cleanly with a moving target, not with a hail of bullets, but with one - because you saw it and your brain did the rest. That was some pretty smooth hitting going on. Did you watch how he holds the front of the rifle like a shotgun, and doesn't mount the gun to the shoulder until the shot is in progress? Wingshooting with a rifle - cool stuff!

Did anybody catch what he was using? I thought it said a Sauer in one frame, but it looked like maybe a Blaser in another one?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There is nothing more satisfying than connecting cleanly with a moving target, not with a hail of bullets, but with one - because you saw it and your brain did the rest. That was some pretty smooth hitting going on. Did you watch how he holds the front of the rifle like a shotgun, and doesn't mount the gun to the shoulder until the shot is in progress? Wingshooting with a rifle - cool stuff!

Did anybody catch what he was using? I thought it said a Sauer in one frame, but it looked like maybe a Blaser in another one?

I thought it was a Blaser, too.
    However, at the beginning of the video, it explains that he used two rifles.
    The first was a Merkel Helix Custom chambered in 7x64.
    The second was a Merkel Helix Explorer chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum.
    I've barely heard of Merkel, but you can bet they're very expensive.
    We both know how expensive a Blaser can get, though.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I thought it was a Blaser, too.
    However, at the beginning of the video, it explains that he used two rifles.
    The first was a Merkel Helix Custom chambered in 7x64.
    The second was a Merkel Helix Explorer chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum.
    I've barely heard of Merkel, but you can bet they're very expensive.
    We both know how expensive a Blaser can get, though.

I'm familiar with Merkel shotguns, so yes, I'm guessing the rifles are pricey, too.

I'm not sure what they're still allowed to own over there, but no matter the situation, I've learned that when somebody shows up with a lightweight, plain-looking bolt action rifle without a bunch of crap hanging on it, and it has low-power optics - watch out, they probably know what they're doing.

I was bummed when they took "Running Target" out of the Olympics. That was a neat event, especially back when they shot it on a full range with highpower rifles, and before it got changed from a firearm event to a 10-meter air rifle event. I think I would have rather shot that than about anything else. To me, that, and possibly connecting with a fast-flying dove with a shotgun, are the most pure and satisfying applications of the marksmanship art I can think of.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Something viscerally satisfying about bolt action - like driving a manual transmission. Modern machinery can do it better but somehow without the same connection to the rifle for me. Wood and steel call to me like plastic never will. YMMV

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    That dude was pretty amazing. How many hours of practice does it take to be that good? How in the hell would you simulate hogs running through the woods like that so you could practice?

Top Bottom