• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    even if true, it doesnt really matter.......libs MAY have higher IQ's, BUT.... forcing collectivism on people will ALWAYS be WRONG. if theyre so smart, how can they never seemto grasp that one simple concept...this is an issue that has left me frustrated with many obviously intelligent people who identify as liberal or generally have a collectivist attitude...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There is a huge difference between having a high IQ and being able to put together a rational, reality based thought. There are geniuses (on paper) out there who can't operate a gas pump. They are incapable of understanding that everyone else in the world doesn't think like they do, they live in a hypothetical world.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    There is a huge difference between having a high IQ and being able to put together a rational, reality based thought. There are geniuses (on paper) out there who can't operate a gas pump.
    Intelligence and knowledge are often at odds with common sense and competence.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    And seriously, reporters have to be closest to "unskilled labor" outside of unskilled labor. As a collective some of the dumbest folks around. Don't remember ever saying "that person is just so damn smart" about a so called journalist. I don't think most of them are even capable of thinking for themselves. Just regurgitate the party line.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This implies that smarter people turn to the left, dumber people turn to the right. I wouldn't concede that at all.

For one thing, it assumes that journalists have higher IQs than other professions. What about other fields of work that truly require high IQs. Do liberals comprise those fields in the same proportion as journalism? Smart conservatives tend to be at the top of the professions that conservatives like. Smart liberals tend to be at the top of professions liberals like. But it's not like there aren't any dumb journalists.

So the smartest people aren't necessarily more liberal and flock to generally liberal professions like journalism.

Another thing, and why I really think liberals occupy journalism in such high proportions is their elitism. Elitists think that smarter people should control the less smart people. If that's true it seems reasonable that most elitists would tend to have higher IQs. But that doesn't mean the smartest people are naturally elitists. It only means that the ones who are elitists are also are also pompous *******s.

It seems elitists flock to professions where they can most impact policy, and thereby have control over people they view as beneath them. Journalism is one such occupation. What journalist honestly says she became a journalist because to report the news? Naw, they really want to influence policy. The most influential occupation is academia. Be a lefty teacher. Fill many students' heads full of ****. Then they'll grow up to be journalists and politicians so the journalists will push for and protect the politicians' ****ty policies.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    They are incapable of understanding that everyone else in the world doesn't think like they do, they live in a hypothetical world.

In 1980, the DSM introduced the diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder (ASPD), which includes the following statement: "The essential feature of antisocial personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood. This pattern has also been referred to as psychopathy, sociopathy, or dissocial personality disorder."

Nailed it...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Leaving the GOP doesn't equal joining the democrat party. I'm pretty well done with the GOP but I can relate a hell of a lot more closely to the GOP than the democrats.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Actually, doing some quick reading on this "study" is enlightening. A quote, if I may:

Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning oneself with "unconventional" philosophies such as liberalism or atheism may be "ways to communicate to everyone that you're pretty smart," he said

Remember: correlation is not causation.

The study also defined liberal and conservative MUCH MUCH MUCH differently than, well, anyone else:

The study takes the American view of liberal vs. conservative. It defines "liberal" in terms of concern for genetically nonrelated people and support for private resources that help those people. It does not look at other factors that play into American political beliefs, such as abortion, gun control and gay rights.
    "Liberals are more likely to be concerned about total strangers; conservatives are likely to be concerned with people they associate with," he said.

Of course, all this is just speculative interpretation of the actual results. But, folks just like to take a sliver of truth and spin it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I personally would rather be stupid,but have common sense, than a rocket surgeon that couldn't pour **** out of a boot withe the instructions printed on the bottom of the sole!

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I've got to admit, as a former "college boy," my liberal friends were, without exception, very intelligent (some very, very intelligent). The one that comes to mind (a lesbian left-winger) rated as genius on the IQ scale.
    It is what it is.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    "Liberals are more likely to be concerned about total strangers; conservatives are likely to be concerned with people they associate with," he said.

Not heard it put like that before, can't say I disagree. While I will help a total stranger if I see that they are in need; I've got plenty to do to take care of myself and my family. Perhaps because I assume that to be my responsibility and no one else's. That's probably the biggest difference between this conservative and the liberal movement.

Top Bottom