Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I thought the picture might have been reversed but
    upon closer inspection the numbers on the guns and the bolts are
    in the right place so??????
    Is the one on his chest bass ackwards too?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Wasn't there so sort of flap about the flags on uniforms not to long ago. Some older Troops were upset about the current placement/wearing of flags? I'm terrible with computer fu!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    No matter which shoulder the Flag is worn on, the Stars always face forward. That may not be in line with tradition, but that's the intent of the "backward" orientation.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I like the backwards flag.
    amenw.gif

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    No matter which shoulder the Flag is worn on, the Stars always face forward. That may not be in line with tradition, but that's the intent of the "backward" orientation.

I get that. Problem is, the helmet patch, if moved to the shoulder on that same side, would be backwards (i.e. field not facing forward). Since the chest patch isn't on either shoulder/side and is displayed horizontally, shouldn't the field be in the upper left? Or are the rules for military patches different than for hanging flags in that regard?

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    25th infantry. Are they still stationed in Hawaii. Tropic Lightning/Electric Strawberries. My father was 25th in the Nam.

M240 FTW!!:rockwoot:

Yes they are. They also have a Stryker brigade and an airborne brigade in Alaska.

And one in FT Lewis. My first duty station was in Hawaii but I wore the USAPAC patch, United States Army Pacific Command. 25th supported us where I was at, had a PLT on stand by for QRF along with 2 fast movers that were on quick alert out of Hickam AFB.

It's also my combat patch, served with them in the Stan from 04-05, it was the first time the 25th had been in a command element in a combat theater since Vietnam.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I get that. Problem is, the helmet patch, if moved to the shoulder on that same side, would be backwards (i.e. field not facing forward). Since the chest patch isn't on either shoulder/side and is displayed horizontally, shouldn't the field be in the upper left? Or are the rules for military patches different than for hanging flags in that regard?

You are correct, however I've not seen any military issued IR patches that are in that orientation. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all the IR patches are to be worn on the right arm with the stars forward. All ACU's now have IR tabs on both arms, they also have a little flap that covers them when you are not in combat. (side note, on items of a military origin, just because it's made doesn't mean that it has an NSN order number or can be worn on or with the uniform)

If you really want, and I know how technical you are I can do a quick search of AR 670-1 :):

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    A lot of you responded with "cool". Actually wonder how hot that outfit is on a day like we have been having lately (in the mid to upper 90's)? Looks like a person could dehydrate getting to the aircraft. And also, thanks to all of you that have served or are serving in our armed forces, I greatly appreciate my freedoms daily.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

I'm really not familiar with wearing the US flag on both shoulders; we only wore them on one shoulder IIRC. My guess is that the flag we see on the chest was made for the right shoulder, hence the field is on the right side of the flag. Also, looking closer, I'll amend my statement that he is wearing an AIR WARRIOR survival vest sans body armor. Looks like that is a plate carrier of some sort. The AIR WARRIOR survival vest zips and has MOLLE ammo carriers; those look like they're integral to that carrier.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    A lot of you responded with "cool". Actually wonder how hot that outfit is on a day like we have been having lately (in the mid to upper 90's)? Looks like a person could dehydrate getting to the aircraft. And also, thanks to all of you that have served or are serving in our armed forces, I greatly appreciate my freedoms daily.

That is obviously a posed picture (the visor is down & maxillofacial shield attached). Don't feel too badly for him, however. Unlike most of his ground-mounted fellows, he likely has a microclimate cooling vest on under his vest/armor. It hooks into a cooling unit on the aircraft that circulates cooling liquid through the vest, decreasing the amount of heat stress the aircrews have to put up with (while flying anyway).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

I guess I should have been more clear. Whether a US Flag is worn on the left shoulder or the right shoulder, the flag _version_ worn is supposed to have the field facing "forward" (e.g. toward the front of the soldier). thinking about it some more, we may have been required to wear flags on both shoulders for deployment to Bosnia in the early 2000s.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Kinda reminds me of how awesome i am when i get geared up.
    260fatguy.jpg
    and yes, all my pockets have tactical bacon.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom