• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I hate coons! Got some living close bye. At night you can hear them fighting and they are ****ing mean as ****! Can't leave a trash bag on the deck overnight or they'll have it all over the yard. Can't shoot them. I'd say yes to catch and release but they are crafty!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can kill a nuisance animal. You have to follow local laws on weapons discharge. Rural areas you can use a rifle/pistol. In the city a really well place shot with a pellet gun would do. Trap and release can be iffy from the safety stand point. We used to trap them when I was a kid. My dad used to give them to a guy that sold the furs. We had a real issue with them getting in the house and tearing up things. If you haven't handle a trap or a trapped animal get someone who has. I had a run in with one this fall. Or I should say my dog did. I had to dispatch it. The dog got the better of it. What a mess. The dog is a pit. He is a big baby but when that coon came at him he tore it up! He did not get a scratch. That racoon did not stand a chance. What a mess.

I would not feel bad about dispatching a nuisance animal. Just be safe in how you handle it!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had one who wouldn't leave in the daytime. Bad sign as maybe rabid or sick? Dispensed some 20 ga medicine, all deader now. Threw him in the south 20 so the yotes had something to chew on. They can be nasty buggers, and tear you up if your not careful.
    Good luck.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    As per DNR website,

a trapped raccoon must either be killed or released in the same county as it was trapped in.

I had to deal with this this year after loosing nearly half my chickens and all but one guinea this year. After talking with the DNR i learned that the above is true with an exception. The property that you intend to release it on you MUST have the property owners permission. So state and county parks and such are not a legal option.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WE have (had) possums/coons/some unknown creek dweller (possibly ground hog??) and most have been dispatched while raiding the wifes garden. Suppressed .22 does a lovely job.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    two tablespoons of granular fly poison and a half a can of pepsi. Set it out if you don't have cats near where you know the coon will be.... it will not make it 20 yards before its dead.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    this was in my cabinet shop Dec 3rd....released about 3 miles from my house in corn field.coon.jpg guess I'm getting soft and hate to shoot something for the sake of shooting...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have never understood the mindset of catching a problem animal and then dropping it off on someone else.

Top Bottom