• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Lee Modern Reloading covered it pretty well.

You mean something like this?

[video=youtube;UeEl9wZyabc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc[/video]

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Anyone have any video links of third world reloading where they cant get presses, lee classic loaders etc? Just curios how they do it.

I was under the impression that using a Lee Classic qualified as 3rd world reloading.;) I guess a hammer is caveman reloading.:dunno:

Here's some homemade .45-70 action for ya...

Homemade .45-70 set up

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I've never even given thought to trying to reload anything without my press.

My hat is off to you Mr. Get-it-done-with-what-you-have-on-hand guy.

Once again, the world reminds me how lame I am.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Chamber type dies used to be what all the BR guys used and a few of them still do, operated with arbor press or hammer. LE Wilson and Sinclair both still offer a decent selection of them.

They produce very good stuff but are painfully slow.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That guy is an old hand at that.

I love old dudes! They have forgotten more than most will ever know about hand loading.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Anybody actually used one of these lee kits? I have considered them if I needed to only load a couple of a cartridge or wanted something portable, but never bought a set.

Lee Loader Pistol - Lee Precision

I have a Lee Loader kit for .30-06 that my uncle gave me.
    I haven't tried it yet, but it does look interesting.

I have one in 9mm. It does work. I sometimes pull it out just to de-priming the odd brass I've picked up.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I have been thinking about reloading 223
    i wonder about the powder measure and powder he is using. Accurate loading?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I reloaded .38 spl and 30/30 with the Lee "whack with a hammer" kit. The rifle resizer only resized the neck. Not much problem if you only had one rifle. The brass from the sloppy chamber Winchester 94 would not work well in the Marlin 30as. Both calibers used a dipper for powder. It was a low to middle load that worked ok, nothing special. You had to use only the powder listed on the sheet, which was not hard then, as you could easily get whatever you wanted. There is very little flexibility for components. You can be amazingly consistant with a dipper as long as you dip with exact same motion every time and strike off the top with a straight edge while not shaking the dipper.

There is nothing that will motivate you to buy a proper press, dies and powder equipment more than spending an entire evening going tap, tap, tap with a little plastic face mallet to make a box of ammo that you can buy for a few bucks. .38 reloads were only $4.50 per box at the gun shop back then.

Last edited:

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I used a "Lee Loader" MANY years ago-------scorched my fingers many times seating the primer--------------now very happy with my Dillon/MEC/Hornady/C&H presses

tallend

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I have a Lee Loader for .35 Remington and 20 ga. shotshells. That's how I got started reloading and I loaded hundreds of .35 Rem cartridges with it. Had a great time and it got me started in a reloading hobby. I still use the Lee Loader to neck size my .35 Rem cases sometimes. It works well and makes good consistent ammunition.

I like using the dippers, too. They are fast, easy to use with many different forms of powder, reliable, consistent, and safe.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used a "Lee Loader" MANY years ago-------scorched my fingers many times seating the primer--------------now very happy with my Dillon/MEC/Hornady/C&H presses

tallend

I was always worried about popping a primer while seating it. I am glad you only got scorched. I would never even have the powder on the bench just in case a stray spark would surprise me. The last thing I wanted was flaming powder to complicate things.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I reloaded 32 Win. Spec. years ago with a Lee Loader for Deer Hunting in WY. Pop a few primers till I learned how to use it. Never "scorched" my fingers, it definitely wakes you up tho.

I wish I was able to have a Lee Loader Kit for every caliber that I reload for, buts that's impossible as Lee doesn't make some of them.

I still bring out my set for 9mm, 38 spec, 357, 30 Carbine, 223, 30/30, & 32 Win. Sp. and reload a few hundred rounds just for kicks.

Rule #1, do not use a hammer, use a mallet, nylon, rubber, wood, or an arbor press.

Rule #2, Prep all your brass prior to reloading.

Slow??????? Not extremely so, relaxing, OOOOoooh Ya!

Regarding the seating a primer around powder???
    Common sense, seat all your primers then open the powder and charge all the cases, danger no longer exists.

Top Bottom