Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Are they reliable?
    Are they accurate?
    Are they worth getting?
    Whats the best? Worst?

Yes they are reliable, There moderately accurate for what they were designed to do, Yes they are worth getting if its a gun you like. Chinese or russian would be the better to have while Yugo would be on the bottom level( nothing really wrong with them either, just make sure to keep clean it shooting corrosive surplus, barrel is NOT chrome lined). But if your shooting the surplus stuff you should clean it anyway chrome lined or not, that stuff is a little on the dirty side. There fun guns that are cheap to shoot. Hope this helps.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    SKS's are a fine weapon, I enjoy shooting them honestly but I never seem to keep one. Same way with a Mosin, I enjoy them but get over it quickly for some reason. Then I get another one later on. :ugh: Get a Norinco and have fun!

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I have found in the past that A Yugo is more accurate than a Norinco also in the past. There are 2 types of Nirinco's. Pressed Barrel, not as accurate and Threaded barrel with barrel nut. more accurate and worth more. When the Threaded barrel ones hit $300 you could still find a pressed barrel one for $175. It has been a while though. I believe all Yugos were threaded barrels. Plan to get one again some day. Fun and reliable, Will eat any ammo you throw at it. Treat yourself Buy one today.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    +1 I hate my AK. I only own it to say I have one. :laugh:

And here I thought I was the only one that felt that way. :):

SKS's are a ton of fun, I had one, it was actually the first gun I ever bought myself, but I couldnt hit a 5 gallon bucket at 30 yds with it. It had the dragunov stock on it though with a cheap scope and all sorts of "tacticool" accessorys. I wish I'd kept it now, but I was too young to consider the the scope was probably my reason for the innaccuracy. If I still had it I'd ditch all the crap and go back to the wood stock.

They're cheap enough that its worth giving it a shot. You should get one.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    SKS is a great gun. I like Russians the best but they are among the hardest to find. I would say my russian rivals my brothers Mini-14 accuracy wise. If you get a russian or another more rare version then they will always go up in value. If you just want one to shoot as a beater then go for a Norinco or a Yugo. I think Romos are about the roughest fit and finish wise but they are still pretty reliable.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like my Yugo SKS a lot. I clean after shooting and use non-corrosive ammo anyhow, so the chrome lined barrel (or lack thereof) isn't an issue for me. I did get a set of Tech Sights for it, and it's plenty accurate for me, at least out to 100 yds. Never tried it past that. I don't have any experience with any of the others, but I don't think you can really go wrong. I would recommend sticking with the stock 10 round box mag though.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you are interested, then go ahead and get one and try it. Worst case, you can resell for the same amount (assuming you got a decent deal). Really like my Norinco.

Enfieldno4mk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Shelbyville
    SKS is a really good rifle. I have a Norinco and it has been very reliable and fun to shoot. Not much recoil and it is pretty accurate with just the iron sights out to 100 yards. It will only go up in value. I plan on adding a Yugo SKS to my collection at some point.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Call me spoiled, a gun snob, whatever, but I can't stand the SKS. I can only dream of a boating accident with it.

The answer to your first two questions is 'yes,' but that doesn't mean that you will like it. "Worth getting" is completely subjective and relative to your missed opportunities.

You should probably get one, as I recognize I am the odd one out in my opinion, and chances are you will like it/enjoy it. And if you don't, at least you tried it. You won't be bothered by the nagging thought of "what if" later on. You can always sell it later if you so choose.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    SKS's are a ton of fun, if you find a good deal on one get it. Also, forget all the doodad crap. The only aftermarket items that are worthwhile are Tech -Sights and a recoil pad. The pad helps lengthen the stock (alot of shooters find the length of pull a little short) and the Tech-Sights greatly enhance the accuracy, worth every penny....

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Russians are best for collections..but yugo's and norincos are great shooters. I loved mine. I put a Shernic bull pup kit on it and made a great tacticool rifle out of it. Sks are more accurate than an ak and are much more fun to shoot.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I shot Appleseed with my 1968 Yugoslavian 59/66A1 SKS last weekend. In two days I fired 400 rounds with nary a misfeed.

Appleseed062012-ScottProne2.jpg

I think SAMCO has still got them. Yep, here you go: https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-sks.html

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    SKS's are a ton of fun, if you find a good deal on one get it. Also, forget all the doodad crap. The only aftermarket items that are worthwhile are Tech -Sights and a recoil pad. The pad helps lengthen the stock (alot of shooters find the length of pull a little short) and the Tech-Sights greatly enhance the accuracy, worth every penny....
    A good Dragunov stock is a real plus. Also a trigger job will really enhance your shooting.

I would stick with a 20 inch barrel.

Top Bottom