• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    What about thickness differences? I too am in the market for a compact or sub-compact .45. Four that I am looking at would be the G36, XD45c, Kimber Ultra Carry II, and SA Loaded Micro compact. Kimber and SA are definitely at a disadvantage from a price point. But looking at the widths, the thinnest is the XD45c, which is odd because I believe it is the only double stack in the group. I would have expected it to be the thickest. I'm finding a range of about a 1/4 of an inch (XD45c = 1.125", G36 = 1.13", SA micro = 1.365"). I definitely want a thinner pistol to help with concealment, but how much do you think a 1/4" will make?

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    If you need a good carry gun, I would sugest any of the many good 9mm or 380 compacts. A Smith J-frame or the Ruger LCR would be wonderful as well.

Seriously, you would recommend a .380 for a primary EDC????? :dunno:

I don't think great shot placement would even help much with such an underpowered cartridge (and we are not even taking into consideration heavy clothing) . After 3-5 shots, the assailant still will probably get to you before bleedout. NO .380 load even comes close to passing FBI's min standard penetration testing. If that's your choice, so be it - but I wouldn't post suggesting a .380 for carry as inexperienced people could take you up on that and if needed, will find out first hand how ineffective it is a bit too late.

I'm not saying that someone couldn't be killed with a .380 in self defense. Maybe several minutes or longer after being shot, bleedout will start to take effect. I'm not willing to take those odds head on.

If you want to carry a little/lite/small sidearm, 38+p special or 147gr 9mm would be the least I would strap on. There are countless compact models to choose from and at least these are service caliber.

I carry to protect my family and myself. If I have to draw and fire - I WANT TO STOP THE TREAT IMMEDIATELY.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    What about thickness differences? I too am in the market for a compact or sub-compact .45. Four that I am looking at would be the G36, XD45c, Kimber Ultra Carry II, and SA Loaded Micro compact. Kimber and SA are definitely at a disadvantage from a price point. But looking at the widths, the thinnest is the XD45c, which is odd because I believe it is the only double stack in the group. I would have expected it to be the thickest. I'm finding a range of about a 1/4 of an inch (XD45c = 1.125", G36 = 1.13", SA micro = 1.365"). I definitely want a thinner pistol to help with concealment, but how much do you think a 1/4" will make?

My HK USPc 45 measures 1.14" in width. If you are looking for a great 45 then the HK is tough to beat and definitely falls into your width guidelines.

picture.php

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Breakinparts - if I were on the market for a sub .45 I would probably be thinking towards colt but I also love the look of the Para (can't recall the name of the model) I saw yesterday in 21 Century in Bluffton.

breakinparts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Got to shoot the G36 today.

Mostly shot the FMJ's, but shot some gold dot JHP +p's through it too. Alls I can say is I love the gun and it is very accurate. Fits my hand well and not much recoil at all. Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! :yesway:

Top Bottom