• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coltsfan33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Greenfield
    Really considering making a switch from iPhone to Android... Specifically the Galaxy Note 3, phone looks incredible. I've enjoyed my iPhone for the past 2 years, but been looking hard at the Note 3 since it came out. Anyone else make the switch recently from iPhone to Android? Or vice versa? Input?

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I went from 6 years of android, to 2 years of iphone, then back to android. I didnt HATE my iphone per se, just liked the android platform much better. The only problems I ever had with the android was the battery life on the older ones. The newer ones seem to do much better. If need be i can make my galaxy s3 go 3 days without a charge. I do have to back off a lot of things mind you, but the older ones were dead in 8 hours no matter what.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I have had both and support both at work. I'll say that the iphone is a more reliable platform but lacks the options the android has. At work I recommend the iphone because of battery life and it just works.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I made the switch a few years back from IOS to Android and have never looked back. The IOS is simple and easy to learn, and have recommended it to some older family that want to get into a smart phone and are not the most electronic savy. I personally like the freedom the android give you that you will only get close to with IOS by jail breaking which voids any warranty. I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S4 active. I can easily go 2 days on a single charge with moderate use( ie some web surfing, facebook, texts, and few calls). Do it and enjoy the feedom of the Android system.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ya my grandparents are on I phones and its good for them ha its pretty simple and straight forward. But if you want to do anything too substantial on your phone android is better. I especially disliked dealing with iTunes, their app store etc.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Android all the way. I had a 4s. Changed to the Galaxy Note 2 about a year ago. I never will go back.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    While I'm a huge fan of Droid OS.... when you're buying something like this, there's really only one question to ask. "What do I want it to do?" same question goes for computers... figure out what features you're looking for, then find the phone that fits into that picture.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    While I might be biased, having had Android phones and supporting iOS devices at work, there's a general rule at work here: stuff breaks. I've had two Android phones in a row die. My current one will probably get replaced next week with an el cheapo flip phone (I'm on a prepaid company). The iOS devices I support also break. General rule of life is that devices can break. What others have said is true: ask yourself what you want the device to do, and find the one that does that. My wife has an iPad that she uses the heck out of. I almost got her a MacBook, but after messing with the iPad I got for my father, she decided she wanted one. It's all about what you need that device to use.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    My wife admits her Iphone5 sucks compared to my Maxx HD, I don't know how people use those stupid I phones, most unuser friendly phones I have ever seen!

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I don't know how people can bop from $200+ device to $200+ device every few years for devices that are largely identical in function to one another. Has no one heard of software upgrades?

Firmware upgrades happen regularly. The issue becomes advances in technology that make firmware upgrades impossible. Example, the original Ipad cannot be upgraded to the current version of the firmware. The processor in the unit is too slow to run the current IOS platform firmware.

Companies are now writing firmware and applications based on current hardware technology. Eventually the older hardware can no longer keep up, and becomes obsolete. Unfortunately, what was a 3-4 year cycle is becoming a 2 year cycle, and will soon be a 1 year cycle.

I got an Iphone 4 for my mother in law an put her on our plan. The phone was free as at that time it was 1 technology jump behind. It will run the current platform, but it is certainly not operating at optimum efficiency.

As far a what to buy...go the the store, play with both, and see what suite your needs. I operate on a Mac, so the Iphone was the logical choice. I am happy with it. It's a tool like any other tool.

Top Bottom