• ...and so much more!
  • avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Glad I ran across this.

I've been juggling the idea around the last couple of years (I'm 24 now). Within those two years I've been nudged more and more with reason to join the Armed Forces: I had a daughter December of 2010, and my wife and I are now pregnant with our second little girl due in just weeks from now (YIKES!). I need something more than my current "Stable, yet lacking" job...

It's been a lifelong dream to do something I can be proud of, I've wanted to serve to help others - I want a sense of accomplishment in my life. I currently hold a good stable job that I want to stay at (The Reserves are sounding much more favorable in my situation, given the USERRA protecting my position at my current employer).

I've had enough time to think about it and the decision was made off and on throughout the last month that I am going to sit down with a Recruiter, take my ASVAB. It's time to get off my rear and do something. The wife and I are in a slump, her not working (by choice) and me having to pay off her student loan debt (:xmad:) is rough.

..... it's 3:55AM so I'm sure my story is all jacked up. Let me summarize:

The Pro's far outweigh the Con's in my decision to try my hand at joining the military. Secretly, I would love to have a career in the military. Having a family might be hard to accomplish that. We'll see. My hardest obstacle is complete, I have my wife on board with me joining!

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Glad I ran across this.

I've been juggling the idea around the last couple of years (I'm 24 now). Within those two years I've been nudged more and more with reason to join the Armed Forces: I had a daughter December of 2010, and my wife and I are now pregnant with our second little girl due in just weeks from now (YIKES!). I need something more than my current "Stable, yet lacking" job...

It's been a lifelong dream to do something I can be proud of, I've wanted to serve to help others - I want a sense of accomplishment in my life. I currently hold a good stable job that I want to stay at (The Reserves are sounding much more favorable in my situation, given the USERRA protecting my position at my current employer).

I've had enough time to think about it and the decision was made off and on throughout the last month that I am going to sit down with a Recruiter, take my ASVAB. It's time to get off my rear and do something. The wife and I are in a slump, her not working (by choice) and me having to pay off her student loan debt (:xmad:) is rough.

..... it's 3:55AM so I'm sure my story is all jacked up. Let me summarize:

The Pro's far outweigh the Con's in my decision to try my hand at joining the military. Secretly, I would love to have a career in the military. Having a family might be hard to accomplish that. We'll see. My hardest obstacle is complete, I have my wife on board with me joining!

Good luck on your decision. While it is not for everyone, there are more then a couple families that I know, that had been able to retire out. As for the reserves, as you stated, it will allow you to stay here, and still be able to be in as well. If you would like some more information, I will be glad to help you out as well. Feel free to drop me a line. Take care

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Greenfield
    I enlisted in the Army National Guard back in 2003 as an MP. Its an okay job here in the states, but when your deployed you might have to teach Afghani's or in my case Iraqi's how to police their own country. That was kind of a waste of time in my opinion. I think all the training for MP's in the Army is now at Ft. Leonard Wood, Misouri. For me basic training and A.I.T. Was together all in the same place. No break in between basic and A.I.T. Same drill sergeants, same bed. Lol. MP's have a few different jobs, Law and Order- where you write tickets on base and eat doughnuts. Field MP which is what i did, your job would be Convoy security, mounted vehicle patrols, managing checkpoints, clearing buildings, training Nato security forces(iraqi or Afghani police).Etc. Or Corrections, where you work in prisons. If you chose corrections, your A.I.T. Would be different , I think the M.O.S. is 31Ecko. The National Guard was a good choice for me because you train with Active Duty, Army Reserve, the only difference between them and Active Duty is, you come back home for one weekend a month and Two weeks during the summer, and Active Duty heads to a Duty station to work full time. All the training is the same. The Guard also gives you a chance to go to college and work a regular job while your doing your weekend drills. But if your single with no kids, I think Active duty is a good choice.

Top Bottom