• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hu086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    seymour
    My wife shoots a walther 380 and loves it, Ive always liked my shotguns and rifles. I shot her 380 and it was alot of fun, I am going to buy something just need a direction to start. 9mm or 45? Im new to handguns.​

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Right now, in all honesty, 9mm and 45 acp are a bit hard to come buy. 40 seems to be plentiful around here.

BUT, it's your handgun. I own a 1911 and a glock 19. Two of the best setups for both calibers IMO. I wanted a 45 first, and then went to the g19 for carry for twice as much ammo in my carry gun.

All fanboyism aside, the reason I went with the glock over the M&P was because the glock has far more aftermarket stuff available AND I don't have to be a smith to work on it. At the time, there were also no extra MP mags available around here.

It's all a matter of preference though, and cost. Also if you intend to carry it or not. :)

Welcome to INGO.

achilles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    If you are new to guns and interested initially in range time / home defense, Glock's are pretty hard to beat for the value you receive. If you do go .45ACP route, a 1911 is a great choice. Personally, I like Springfield's lineup and prefer it look / feel wise over Glock. If you go .45 and you want something small, check out the XDS from Springfield. I really like shooting it and it would make a fine carry weapon if you choose to go that route (keeping in mind, it is a .45 so you sacrifice round count...personal preference). Another popular weapon in 9mm and .40 is the Walther PPS. Overall my favorite.

Hu086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    seymour
    Thanks for the welcome, I have held several glocks I dont know what models and couple rugers, seems that ammo has a big part in what a person buys right now

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the welcome, I have held several glocks I dont know what models and couple rugers, seems that ammo has a big part in what a person buys right now

Although it may seem that way now, I would get what you want to have and not worry much about the current ammo situation. If demand stays high for 9mm & .45, they will get the production to get prices back in line before too long.

I would suggest trying to find a range where you can rent a few different handguns and give them a shot. Just keep in mind that the size and weight of the pistol will have a tremendous impact on the feel when shooting, as I have heard more than one employee at a range tell somebody that gun A shoots "just like this rental, only it's a lot smaller and easier to conceal" when I know firsthand that the two feel nothing alike.

stesco

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Greensburg
    I am also new to handguns. I did a lot of research and spent some time handling different guns. End the end, I decided on the Springfield XDS a couple of months ago. It is easy to shoot and easy to carry. Take your time look around. Prices are crazy right now.

Lep36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    North side
    Buy one of each! Really, it's going to end up that way. What ever you buy first, somewhere along the line you will pick up the other.

They are both good calibers, recoil is different and they could feel different in your hand. Get to a range and rent, you will know what you want first...

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Can't go wrong with any of the big name companies. I'd rent a few different guns and calibers and see what you like.

My EDC for now is a 9 but prefer the 45 and have one.

My full frame 45 does not kick much more then my sub compact 9.... Mostly because of the size of the gun.

May find a few buddies with different calibers to let you shoot. 1911's are nice but money for good ones.

Once the panic buy dies down 45 and 9 will be plentiful again.

Top Bottom