Thinkin about tradin away my 1911, What should i get to replace it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Yup. As much as i LOVE my 1911 its quickly becoming a paperweight.

I'm not a big target sports guy, or collector so it just isn't what i want/need.

What I want:

- a full frame OC/cold weather CC that would also fill the role of home defense if I'm to far away from the 12 gauge (i already have a lil kell-tec pf9 for summer CC and pocket carry)

-Something lighter. When I carry the 1911 I find myself either constantly having to pull up my pants or tightening my belt up so tight that i lose all circulation to my legs.

-15 round capacity as a minimum

-my pocket/Bug is 9mm. And I'm thinking that it my be a good idea to streamline a bit and just carry/own one caliber.

- I've already owned a PX4 type F and i just didn't like the position of the safety. It was a tough reach with my strong hand to make it ready to fire. So a convenient safety or more erganomic would be a must.

-I prefer a single action trigger pull. But i would like a DA/SA just so i have the option. (i also do prefer to carry hammer down in some situations)

-Also along the whole trigger/safety line. I would like a pistol that would allow me to carry cocked and locked. (this was another reason that the px4 didn't work out)

-AND if possible I would like to keep this under 600 bucks new. (or equal trade for my rock island 1911 tactical for used (bout 450))

Now I have started looking at Glock, XD, PX4 types C & G, Smith and Wesson M & P.

well I've rambled enough. Lets just say i could really use some advice.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    the Eaa Witness can be carried cocked and locked or hammer down for a DA 1st shot, safety goes down like the 1911, steel is about 33 oz, poly is 30 unloaded. I'm not sure how that compares, but it is something to think about. I am enjoying mine so far.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    EAA Witnesses are clones of CZ pistols from my understanding. I have read on a couple forums that they are good guns for the $$$, but that's all third party reporting.

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    The Glock 17 or 19 and S&W M&P are great choices in that price range. Your capacity requirements are going to limit you to 9mm and maybe .40S&W. I greatly prefer the 9mm of the two.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've found the difference between the Kel-Tec PF9 and P11 to not be much in size, but like the 12 or 13 rounds the P11 has.

I find it hard to beat the Glock 19. I think I'll eventually standardize on the 9mm versions, but have both .40 and 9mm now (17,19,22, and 23). I'm a "fan". :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    EAA Witnesses are clones of CZ pistols from my understanding. I have read on a couple forums that they are good guns for the $$$, but that's all third party reporting.

My house guns and my desk guns are CZ75 pistols. The CZ75 is used by more police and military organizations than any other brand of pistol. Yup, more than Glock, more than Beretta. . . They are darn fine pistols. You can get alloy frame, plastic frame or steel frame. You can get DA/SA with safety. You can get DA/SA with decocker. You can get SA with safety.

Best of all since you already are used to a 1911 you will find the controls and the grip angle to be naturally familiar. The CZ grip angle matches the 1911. The controls are also familiar, the safety is in the same spot and flips down the same way. On the decocker models the decocker is located in place of the safety and drops the hammer when you depress the decocker just as if you would depress a safety.

Oh, and can you ever find a Glock that looks like this?
    IMG_0014.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    that has to much bling for me. It would be my luck if i had to defend myself at night in my home i would give my position away because a nightlight or something stupid would give a reflection

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    XDm9 in either the 3.8" or 4.5" barrel length. It has an adjustable backstrap and carries 19+1. You can't go wrong with 20 rounds of Winchester Ranger Ammo!!! It is also possible to step up to the XDm40 which is the same gun and carries 16+1, and adds a bit more power to the equation.

:rockwoot:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    hey, like i said it would be my luck if i had something like the first one, id basikly be shooting myself in the foot... I have nothing against a shiny gun (as i want one when i have kids to be the father who just sits there and polishes his gun till the boy brings his girl back home.... lol

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Thanks for all the help so far. Now i'm starting to break things down.

I would prefer the Glock 17 over the 19 if i decide to go that route. I like having a few more rounds to work with and i have big chunky hands.

The CZ75 and Clones are a serious consideration. But i would have to go the Clone route due to price. (and good call on grip angle melensdad I forgot to think about that.) But when it comes to market share in military and police circles i have to question it. Is it really a better gun or are CZ salesmen just really good and know how to grease the wheels of politicians. And i have heard about CZ pistols having a hard time in torture tests.

As far a long term durability Glock is hard to beat in that department especially with the upgrades that just rolled out in 4th gen. Plus it just seems like the general use single purpose machine. No frills just bang (with hopefully very little kaboom).

I have more experience with the PX4 than all the other guns so i'm kinda biased. The only thing i didn't much like about it was the Safety and the price. The Rotating Barrel Locking system works like a dream but only lowers the push of the recoil not the snap. This bothered me but i think it would be better with 9mm than it was with .40.

I know little to nothing about the taurus. I will have to look it up.

And when it comes to the M&P. Its gorgeous. and i have heard all sorts of great things about it. but I'm not liking the mag disconnect safety. If i muff up and drop the mag in a fight i would still like my one OH **** round please.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    First off, step back away from the computer and take a DEEEEEP breath and wait for this insanity to go away.

BUT, if you must get rid of your 1911, and want to go to a different platform, then you have been given excellent suggestions so far, so I might as well add another one, how about a Sig P226 or P229. Sig makes GREAT DA/SA guns.

I carry a Sig P220 for my duty gun (and while I would LOVE to carry a 1911, the department won't allow it, they want everyone to carry the same :draw:) and I do have to admit it is a good gun, very dependable and accurate shooter.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    First off, step back away from the computer and take a DEEEEEP breath and wait for this insanity to go away.

BUT, if you must get rid of your 1911, and want to go to a different platform, then you have been given excellent suggestions so far, so I might as well add another one, how about a Sig P226 or P229. Sig makes GREAT DA/SA guns.

I carry a Sig P220 for my duty gun (and while I would LOVE to carry a 1911, the department won't allow it, they want everyone to carry the same :draw:) and I do have to admit it is a good gun, very dependable and accurate shooter.

haha i know. i know. i love the 1911. but it just isn't for me.

As far a the sig pistols go. The look like a steady rig. They just don't fill my capacity requirements.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The CZ75 and Clones are a serious consideration. But i would have to go the Clone route due to price.
    Not sure that there is THAT much of a difference, maybe $50 and I don't believe you will find all the choices in the clone variants.

...when it comes to market share in military and police circles i have to question it. Is it really a better gun or are CZ salesmen
    Clearly they are awesome guns, not sure if the salesmen do a good job at all, they have not made a dent in the US marketshare!

i have heard about CZ pistols having a hard time in torture tests.
    From Glock guys :dunno:

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I went from a Colt Officers size 1911 45 to a Glock 19 and have not looked back. I sometimes carry a Glock 26 or when they won't fit, a Keltec P3AT in a front pocket.

Top Bottom