• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Yes you can reuse the bullets. Probably can reuse the brass. I still think you need to try a taper crimp die. I bell all my handgun brass before I reload. Not very much just enough for the bullet to start. If you pull the bullets just pull the decapping pin and full lenght resize the brass.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Yes, you can reuse the bullets, primers, and powder. Be sure you wear safety glasses when you decap the primers.

Throw that chamfer tool off the nearest bridge. You won't need it.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Yes you can reuse the bullets. Probably can reuse the brass. I still think you need to try a taper crimp die. I bell all my handgun brass before I reload. Not very much just enough for the bullet to start. If you pull the bullets just pull the decapping pin and full lenght resize the brass.

Even if i resize, The CHAMFER will still be on the brass. PLEASE do a search of theLEE CLASSIC RELOADER and you'll see what i'm dealing with. I can't buy a taper crimp die and make it work with this kit, the kit is what it is.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Hornady FMJ .451. I have the LEE CLASSIC RELOADER,very simple BASIC reloader kit INTRODUCTORY to reloading. The ones(brass) that i BARELY chamfered work great!! However the brass that i chamfered in excess (Very new to reloading) after i seat the bullet can be seated further woth finger pressure, I've measure the mouths of the cases and they measure the same as the ones that seat PERFECTLY, the only difference that i can see is in the CHAMFER.

Did you chamfer them, or expand the case mouth?

If you just expanded the case mouth, the Lee Classic Loader does have a crimping step. Just be EASY doing it, too much crimp won't leave anything for the case to headspace on.

If you chamfered them, you don't need to. Causes problems, weakens the case mouth and they'll split sooner.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    where are you located? maybe myself or someone else near by you can give you a hand getting started.

Hey thanks guy!! I'm SURE the problem is the chamfered case,just a tough lesson learned.I'll just have to save more brass.
    YES, I chamfered the case, PLEASE everyone I REALLY appreciate all the help that all are giving, but TRUST ME, I CHAMFERED THE CASES!!! I BOUGHT A CHAMFERING TOOL!!!! I CHAMFERED EVERY SINGLE CASE I HAD!!! And i really don't mean to yell but everyone keeps askin me are you sure you chamfered the cases? YES!!!!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    LOL Ok, ok, you chamfered the cases!!

Toss the brass, shoot more .45 to make brass. You still get to go shooting, all is not lost :D

Like someone else said, toss the tool. I haven't even owned one in a couple decades.... for much the same reasons as you describe in your OP.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Even if i resize, The CHAMFER will still be on the brass. PLEASE do a search of theLEE CLASSIC RELOADER and you'll see what i'm dealing with. I can't buy a taper crimp die and make it work with this kit, the kit is what it is.

Just did a search of the Lee Classic reloader. not what I thought it was. You need to invest in a single stage press. Where are you located. I have a Lee single stage press that has been laying under my bench unused for years. I might be able to help you out. PM me if you don't want to post your location.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Check out this video...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFKV8S6cnQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFKV8S6cnQ[/ame]

1) CAUTION: You will NOT be able to deprime the brass with the tools you have, without igniting the primers, but chances are you can reuse the bullets and the powder.

2) Are you using the Chamfer tool like in the video? I don't see how you could chamfer with that tool enough to ruin the brass. If the bullet is not being held by the brass, and the bullet was seated properly, then the resizing tool is not doing its job, or there is another problem with the brass, (or you did it wrong :) ).

3) You might be able to resize your brass with live primers in the Lee Loader - a lot of banging going on, but just wear safety glasses. You might be able to find a "buddy" with .45 dies and do it on a press. Or put the primed brass in you gun and shoot them to be absolutely safe.

4) I'm almost sure that you brass isn't ruined, it just sounds like it didn't get sized properly, or there is some other problem with the brass... like...

... it's not brass (steel or aluminum), it's too thin and your resizer can't make it small enough to hold onto the bullets, it's not the right hardness (it springs back after being resized), or your bullets are too small.

If you think you chamfered it too much post a pic... I'd like to see how it's chamfered too much if you're using the tool like in the video.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Hey thanks guy!! I'm SURE the problem is the chamfered case,just a tough lesson learned.I'll just have to save more brass.
    YES, I chamfered the case, PLEASE everyone I REALLY appreciate all the help that all are giving, but TRUST ME, I CHAMFERED THE CASES!!! I BOUGHT A CHAMFERING TOOL!!!! I CHAMFERED EVERY SINGLE CASE I HAD!!! And i really don't mean to yell but everyone keeps askin me are you sure you chamfered the cases? YES!!!!

LOL...
    This is the most awesome post I've read all day.
    I'd make it my sig line if it wasn't so long.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I did buy a bag of NEW winchester brass once ( 100 ) that did needed trimmed and chamfered. In 100 cases, they ranged from spec to + .040 over. Since then, have always bought starline and never have had a need to trim and chamfer again since.

To the OP, if your near Ft Wayne, PM me. I have a few extra cases if you were wanting to try some before your order comes in. You could also borrow my collet puller. Will make pretty short work on 300 rounds.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem useing Remington brass in .40S&W. I have a RCBS reloader special press, RCBS carbide dies. After doing all the steps to pour powder and the new bullet, I find placing the new bullet over the powder, the bullet will slide into the case very easy with just finger pressure. None of the other brands of brass do that. Besides not useing R-P's brass, any ideas? Thanks, Bob
    PS: I have use Remingtons brass in other calibers and have no problems.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem useing Remington brass in .40S&W. I have a RCBS reloader special press, RCBS carbide dies. After doing all the steps to pour powder and the new bullet, I find placing the new bullet over the powder, the bullet will slide into the case very easy with just finger pressure. None of the other brands of brass do that. Besides not useing R-P's brass, any ideas? Thanks, Bob
    PS: I have use Remingtons brass in other calibers and have no problems.

I have had some issues also in Rem UMC brass for the .40. Split cases from mouth to web after just 1 reloading. Looks to be thinner brass as compared to other brands.

Got to watch the possibility of bullet set-back under recoil in that already high pressure round. Being you said you have had no issues with other cases, I can only think of a few things. Maybe set your sizer down a bit more. You can actually set it a PARTIAL turn past when the bottom touches your shell holder.. Don't set too low or you could crack your carbide ring in the sizer.

Also, might look into how much you are crimping it. Being the round headspaces on the case mouth, try crimping a little more. I'm not familiar with the RCBS taper crimp die, but with the Lee, I can really get a firm crimp without jeopardizing how it headspaces off the case mouth. Pull the barrel out of the gun, then drop the round in as you try a little more crimp. Pay attention to how it locates in the barrel. I always look for the back of the case to sit flush or just below the hood.

Lastly, +1 for always checking that issue. Bullet set-back in calibers especialy .40 and 9mm can change pressures very quickly. In .357 SIG with the short neck to locate and hold bullet, I actually apply a good amount of pressure to the back of the bullet while holding it against my reloading table. I then caliper to see if it has moved.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I did buy a bag of NEW winchester brass once ( 100 ) that did needed trimmed and chamfered. In 100 cases, they ranged from spec to + .040 over. Since then, have always bought starline and never have had a need to trim and chamfer again since.

To the OP, if your near Ft Wayne, PM me. I have a few extra cases if you were wanting to try some before your order comes in. You could also borrow my collet puller. Will make pretty short work on 300 rounds.

Thanks guy, thats a really good offer, and if closer,, i may take u up on it. My stuff will be here in a couple days, then back to the drawing board.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    ExtremeVel, I have the de-prime/resize die set as low as I can go with out bottoming out on the shell holder. Where I notice the problem is right after I pour the powder in the case, I place a bullet over it. That is when I can with finger pressure, push the bullet all the way into the case. This is before I place the case in the seating die. I'll do a tray of 50 like that, then I'll seat and crimp all of them. I think you maybe on to something about the R-P brass might be thinner in the case wall area. Because as stated before, I have no problems with any other brands of brass. I'm gonna do some measuring and see what I come up with. Thanks. Later, Bob

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have not seen this mentioned but I would call lee. even though you chamferd the brass it is not ruined if you insist on throwing it out mail it to me.
    Anyway I have seen bad sets of dies slip through. I got one once from Hornady. They knew there was a problem and they warrantied it no problems.

Measure your brass before you size the outside diameter and then measure it after you size the OD. is it collapsing it enough?

What is the inside of the shell casing demention after sizing? It should be in the neighborhood of .445 or .446
    measure before running the expander through it.
    If that measures ok then run your expander through it. it should measure no larger than .447
    .446 would be better.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Well, I got my press and mounted it to my bench,read directions and started reloading, My mentioned brass is OK. I've loaded prolly 70 rds with no problems, bullets are staying firm in case.

Top Bottom