• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Well i just started reloading and made some rds tonight. All i have is the Lee classic reloader and i'm reloading 45 acp, well long story short when seating some of the bullets i noticed that some of them seated EXTREMELY EASY and then the bullet would actually move with VERY LITTLE finger pressure,Yes i said finger pressure. I think i chamfered them to much, cause the ones that i didn't chamfer as much would seat nicely. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    sounds like you flared them a little to much. are you using LEE dies?
    If so you can remove the pin from the resizing die, and run the brass through the resizer and then flare again..

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    First, make sure you FULL length resized your cases, I can't imagine over doing the chamfer(belling) the case would do that. If you over did it the case mouth would look like a blunderbuss muzzle. If they are sized properly(shell holder touches the size die when all the way up) and this still happens, check the headstamp and see if just one brand does this. If you have a micrometer check the diameter of the sizer in your chamfer die.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I'm using the Lee classic reloader. "I don't think i can do anything about it. hard lesson 300 rds of brass

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Hornady FMJ .451. I have the LEE CLASSIC RELOADER,very simple BASIC reloader kit INTRODUCTORY to reloading. The ones(brass) that i BARELY chamfered work great!! However the brass that i chamfered in excess (Very new to reloading) after i seat the bullet can be seated further woth finger pressure, I've measure the mouths of the cases and they measure the same as the ones that seat PERFECTLY, the only difference that i can see is in the CHAMFER.

Last edited:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Have you tried putting a little more crimp on them and then checking with the barrel out of the gun to see if they will still headspace?

That's where I would go next.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I just check the "ONES i said were OK, well lets just say that they're NOT okay,with only slightly more pressure the bullet would seat further into the case. Guess i need a darn bullet puller now. The instruction with the Lee Classic reloader says to NOT crimp the 45 acp rd.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You should be able to resize the case mouths again. Just repeat step #2 on your Lee Loader instructions.

I know it seems logical to do these steps in bulk but if you're loading your first rounds, I would follow the steps in order.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    What kind of dies are you using. My Hornady dies are for 45acp and 45 colt. They will put a roll crimp if set for it like you would use for the 45 colt rds. I set for no crimp and follow up with a taper crimp die. You do want a crimp on your acp rds, just not a roll crimp. If your dies are for 45 acp only I would try crimping more and then check in your barrel to see if the headspace properly. When I am setting up my dies i always pull the barrel from my gun and use it to check my headspace.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    You should be able to resize the case mouths again. Just repeat step #2 on your Lee Loader instructions.

I know it seems logical to do these steps in bulk but if you're loading your first rounds, I would follow the steps in order.

This is good advice. You do need to crimp those rounds to an extent. It's called a taper crimp. It's not what you are thinking. The belling of the case mouth MUST be taken out and when doing so, depending on how your die is set up, this puts the taper crimp in.

You never said whether or not you have the Factory Crimp die. This is the one you need to do this step with. When I load pistol rounds, I seat the bullet in one step and use the FCD as the last step. This last step puts the taper crimp in and resizes the entire finished round to fit in the chamber.

Yes, a bullet puller is standard equipment. I've had to pull many a bullet, dont feel bad, it happens!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I know that you probably realize this now, but when you're belling the case mouth, you just want to "kiss" the brass with the belling tool.

Also, you keep saying chamfer. Are you chamfering these or belling them? There shouldn't be any need to chamfer most pistol rounds, so you're wasting your time.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Yes, a bullet puller is standard equipment. I've had to pull many a bullet, dont feel bad, it happens![/quote]

Very true !! If you havn't had to pull a bullet, you havn't done enough reloading.:D

Last edited:

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    So you're not actually chamfering your 45ACP cases, are you? You're just using a flare die on them to bell the cases, right?

If you chamfered your brass may be trash if you overdid it. I haven't ever found a need to chamfer pistol rounds.

Just clean the brass in a tumbler, inspect for any glaring problems, and load them. No need to prep them by trimming or chamfering as if loading for a rifle.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I followed the instructions and chamfered the brass, I just went to the garage and went step by step only to get the same results. I'm pretty sure i ruined my brass. Can i reuse the bullets i pull? lesson learned the hard way,(following instructions)imagine that!!! been saving brass for quit some time and finally got the $$$ to get components. SUX!!! The bad part is i chamfered ALL my brass at one time.

CAN I REUSE THE BULLETS I PULL?

Top Bottom