• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Apart from the Indy Zoo and the Children's museum are their other attractions in Indy for little ones (age 5 and 3)?

Did not know ya had a water park.
    Caribbean Cove Indoor Water Park

Anything else? I'm looking at a "mini vacation" in MARCH 2011 and am looking for local stuff (IN or IL area). Would like to stay on the IN side if possible.

NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

INGO Open Carry Cigar Night is on 19 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_events/101162-ingo_open_carry_cigar_night_aug_19_schererville.html

The next MEET & EAT is on 28 AUG 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_events/103588-nwi_ingo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 SEP 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_events/105166-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sat_18_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/103765-appleseed_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There are also cheaper/smaller water attractions in Plainfield (Splash Island) and Northwestway Park.

Thanks but it appears to be an outdoor park right?
    Don't think it would be good idea in MAR. :D

A friend told me about this one Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort at Starved Rock
    3 days, 2 nights with 80 tokens + 4 mini-golf passes + 2 days of waterpark = $280 for 2 adults + 2 kids. Not a bad deal at all for march granted its in Utica IL .

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thanks but it appears to be an outdoor park right?
    Don't think it would be good idea in MAR. :D

A friend told me about this one Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort at Starved Rock
    3 days, 2 nights with 80 tokens + 4 mini-golf passes + 2 days of waterpark = $280 for 2 adults + 2 kids. Not a bad deal at all for march granted its in Utica IL .

There is a smaller indoor park as well. :)

There is also a big indoor playland for the little ones. It's 3 levels and stands on, I would say, about 1600 sq ft.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    march isn't generally real hot IMO. have you considered camping/hiking? or what about someplace in ohio or michigan? maybe an aquarium?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The Dairy Farm on I-65 is pretty neat and is entertaining for the little kids and big kids. It's a bit of a drive though.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I know you are looking for other suggestions, but I HIGHLY recommend the Childrens Museum

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is the State Museum any good for little ones? I imagine so, but haven't been since they opened up the new one.

It's more for school-age kids, IMO. There's lots to look at and lots to read about. The little ones might like seeing all the "stuff" (especially the prehistoric animal recreations and skeletons), but won't appreciate the real history behind it. The attached IMAX theater is a bonus.

I would also suggest a trip out to Eagle Creek park. In addition to the hiking trails, the exhibits at the Ornithology Center and the Earth Discovery Center are not to be missed. It's only $5.00 for the car-load of you to get in, so pack a picnic lunch and stay for the day.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :dunno:RIF:dunno:
    ????Reading Is Fun????
    Sry but a google search gave me all sort of stuff for RIF.

march isn't generally real hot IMO. have you considered camping/hiking? or what about someplace in ohio or michigan? maybe an aquarium?

March is when my 5 year old has a week off school thus why MAR 14-18 is when I'm looking for a "mini-vacation". My first though was an indoor waterpark since we are going to Disney (1 week) in SEP already.

Have not considered OH or MI since OH is "far" for us (NWI) and MI I know nothing of it.

The Dairy Farm on I-65 is pretty neat and is entertaining for the little kids and big kids. It's a bit of a drive though.

Where is the Darky Farm located? City/Town? Website?

I know you are looking for other suggestions, but I HIGHLY recommend the Childrens Museum

We have been to the Children's Musem once already with them and they enjoyed it so I was hoping to try something else. Figure we could do the musem again but that is typically a 1 day thing so if we do go to Indy to see family we could lump that in but it's not on the "must see" list since we have already done that. besides it's a no-carry now due to the new day-care that is coming. :xmad:

I would also suggest a trip out to Eagle Creek park. In addition to the hiking trails, the exhibits at the Ornithology Center and the Earth Discovery Center are not to be missed. It's only $5.00 for the car-load of you to get in, so pack a picnic lunch and stay for the day.

Thanks we have a lot of "nature" stuff up here in NWI as well (Dunes, Deep River park, etc..) so was looking more for "touristy" type of attractions.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

"Reading Is Fundamental". i.e., I missed in your OP where you said you were coming in March.

was looking more for "touristy" type of attractions.

What about Conner Prairie?

Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum?

Downtown Indy offers the Soldiers & Sailors monument (observation deck on top, Civil War museum in the basement), the City-County building observation deck (no carry there, sorry), and the City Market, in addition to all the stuff around White River State Park (zoo, state museum, Eiteljorg).

I took my son to the Exotic Feline Rescue Center near Brazil a couple years ago (he was 3 at the time); it was pretty neat.

If you just want games and rides and stuff, I suggest Incredible Pizza or Bouncer Town on the south side, or Rascal's Fun Zone in Whiteland.

HTH!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You can take an elevator up to the top of the monument on the Circle. Although it may or may not be open as early as March. There is also a mini museum at the top of the Court House (I believe). It is only open a few hours a day, but I believe it was free (may have donations. Some nice history, but also gets you high enough to see plenty of downtown. We went up there while waiting for the right time during a zoning hearing.

The Eitlejorg museum has a stagecoach in the basement and large totem pole. However most of the museum is just western themed art that wouldn't hold the kids interest. If the entry is fairly reasonable, it is cool to climb into the stage coach. Other than that, I'd probably skip it.

D.B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Avon
    How about a short drive? Dayton Air Museum is free and very cool. The Henry Ford Museum / Greenfield Village (Dearborn, Mi.) is very reasonable for what it has to offer.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    There are also cheaper/smaller water attractions in Plainfield (Splash Island) and Northwestway Park.

Apart from the Indy Zoo and the Children's museum are their other attractions in Indy for little ones (age 5 and 3)?

Did not know ya had a water park.
    Caribbean Cove Indoor Water Park

Anything else?

I have two nieces who are 2 1/2 and almost five. They have been to both of the above I believe. They recently were taken to the Plainfield water park and my mom said it was really nice. For a winter park, I have heard Caribbean Cove is really neat. They usually have some sort of deal where you get a night at the hotel, pizza for dinner, and water park passes. Another indoor park option is through Indy Parks. Indy Island is part of Raymond Park Middle School, located in the southern part of Warren Township on the far east side of Indy.

Indy Island Aquatic Center 

You will need to call them during the school year to see what their hours are during the time Warren Township schools are in session.

The only thing I would suggest is maybe a trip to Brown County State Park. March 2011 can be iffy when it comes to the weather. If we had a lot of snow and such, it usually doesn't get hot enough to really evaporate the water on the trails. However, if it is just cold/cool, you can still see some nice views from the overlooks, even if the trees are without leaves. Brown Co. is a very different landscape than other parts of the state. It is only about an hour drive from Indy, then if it is too wet, cold, snowy to hike a short trail, you can always just drive through the park and stop at some overlooks. They also have a visitor's center as well.

Have not considered OH or MI since OH is "far" for us (NWI) and MI I know nothing of it.

If you really want an indoor waterpark type place, then you might be better off driving an extra hour or two and hitting up Wisconsin Dells, waterpark capital of the world. A lot of the hotels up there have indoor water parks, with varying levels of attractions and such.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom