• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I will "probably" never need to use it, but if I do I am prepared.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Never needed a fire extinguisher, yet I have several.

Rarely need my spare tire, yet all vehicles have one.

Only occasionally need a band-aid, but I have several first aid kits.

My smoke detectors only go off when my wife cooks - never had a fire - yet I have them all over the house.

I have not yet encountered someone that needs shot, but I carry anyway.

The list goes on, and on, and on......

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    The rebuttal people will use to the "I have a fire extinguisher, smoke detector, etc that I will likely never need" is those items are not as likely to hurt someone. Granted, this is true. However, you have a right to carry a gun, and when done so responsibly there is little to no chance of it hurting anyone.

When you are asked this question you must realize right away that you are dealing with someone who most likely has a fear or misunderstanding about guns. I would simply inform them as to how safe they really are when they are carried and owned responsibly. The other possibility is they are someone who just hates the second amendment and there is no answer you can give them that will change their ideology, no matter how twisted and unfounded it may be.

Another good answer is, which is true for me: I fully understand that I am unlikely to ever need it. In fact, I'm glad that is the case. However, I feel safer carrying and knowing that in the event something bad happens I have a good chance at being able to defend myself. I also know that my gun is very safe because I carry it responsibly and there is a better chance of me needing it than ever having an accident with it.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The rebuttal people will use to the "I have a fire extinguisher, smoke detector, etc that I will likely never need" is those items are not as likely to hurt someone. Granted, this is true. However, you have a right to carry a gun, and when done so responsibly there is little to no chance of it hurting anyone.

Correct, but the lack thereof will greatly increase your chances of being killed.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I agree that it's not so much the odds as the stakes.

However, the odds are higher than most people think.

So, when someone asks me, "what are the chances?" I say, "you tell me."

Most people have NO CLUE how many violent crimes occur in the U.S. annually, and hence, have NO CLUE what the raw odds actually are (apart from any risk mitigation steps one might take).

So, when you ask a question right back, and get that blank stare - it can be an opportunity for education.

velociraptor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2015
    Jurassic Park
    I carry because I don't know where evil will pop up. If I knew that, I'd make a fortune (or be a superhero). I don't have the machine that those guys in Person of Interest use.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Why do you have insurance for anything? Why do you have a fire extinguisher or do fire drills at work? Why do we lock our doors? Why do we have spare tires? It's for that "what if" if I get asked.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Why do you have insurance for anything? Why do you have a fire extinguisher or do fire drills at work? Why do we lock our doors? Why do we have spare tires? It's for that "what if" if I get asked.

There are those that have/do none of the above. They believe that would be "living scared". Trust me, I have this conversation on a weekly basis with someone close to me. Darn hippies will be the end of me!

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    There are those that have/do none of the above. They believe that would be "living scared". Trust me, I have this conversation on a weekly basis with someone close to me. Darn hippies will be the end of me!

That is not "living scared". That's just being a plain idiot. Unless that person is a fortune teller. I guess boats shouldn't have floaters since that's "sailing scared".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree that it's not so much the odds as the stakes.

However, the odds are higher than most people think.

So, when someone asks me, "what are the chances?" I say, "you tell me."

Most people have NO CLUE how many violent crimes occur in the U.S. annually, and hence, have NO CLUE what the raw odds actually are (apart from any risk mitigation steps one might take).

So, when you ask a question right back, and get that blank stare - it can be an opportunity for education.

I ask people "Do you NOT read the news, or watch TV?"

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    John Farnam said to the rhetorical question "how often do people get killed around here anyway?" "Once"

Top Bottom