• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, a career in the military meant poor pay, but good benefits and pension.
    So, now we'll have poor pay, and poor benefits and pension.

sure, that's not a recipe for disaster.

I remember when I made PFC my monthly pay was $1010.10. Without the benefits, I made more money at Pizza Hut.

I get that many enlisted men leave with no retirement. That's ok. They are young men leaving in their 20's for the most part. They are walking away with an education package that's pretty considerable. The GI Bill is one of the most successful government programs ever to bring people into the middle class. Trying to screw the 20 year vet who's spent his prime years to say that the 20 somethings need a piece of the pie is horse poo. Even if you serve all 20 in peace time, you've away from your family for years on hardship tours, months and weeks on long training exercises, days on staff duty, etc. You give up a huge chunk of your life. Even in the heavy deployment unit I was in where nothing happened quickly I had to have permission to travel more than 250 miles from post. You are just not your own person even when you're off.

This is, by and large, an issue that stems from a smaller and smaller percentage of the population having served and understanding what its like. When less of the general population is touched by the military life, fewer elected "leaders" are touched, and this is the sort of thing that results.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I remember when I made PFC my monthly pay was $1010.10. Without the benefits, I made more money at Pizza Hut. I get that many enlisted men leave with no retirement. That's ok. They are young men leaving in their 20's for the most part. They are walking away with an education package that's pretty considerable. The GI Bill is one of the most successful government programs ever to bring people into the middle class. Trying to screw the 20 year vet who's spent his prime years to say that the 20 somethings need a piece of the pie is horse poo. Even if you serve all 20 in peace time, you've away from your family for years on hardship tours, months and weeks on long training exercises, days on staff duty, etc. You give up a huge chunk of your life. Even in the heavy deployment unit I was in where nothing happened quickly I had to have permission to travel more than 250 miles from post. You are just not your own person even when you're off. This is, by and large, an issue that stems from a smaller and smaller percentage of the population having served and understanding what its like. When less of the general population is touched by the military life, fewer elected "leaders" are touched, and this is the sort of thing that results.
    No arguments from me here; I was never a PFC (went from PV2 - $97/month - to E5(WOC) - $300/month) but even as a new warrant officer ($500/month) I couldn't have afforded to live in the civilian community without military benefits. Pay for senior officers and NCOs has become fairly comparable with the civilian community (if you don't factor in all the family separation time) while other benefits - such as military medical services - have diminished. As long as the military retains generous disability benefits for all personnel, I don't think a transition to a "retirement fund" would be terribly unfair, especially for those who choose not to pursue - or are unable to complete - a 20 year career.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I hope this, doesn"t screw me, I have to wait 18 more months, till I GET my Ret......

I know this idiot is a law unto himself, but I seriously doubt that any retirement changes made will affect you. In fact, I'd be shocked if such a change could even be implemented within the next two years.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Okay folks, military retiree (reserve) here. The military retirement system changed at least once during my 39 year career (1970 - 2009 - or 2011 depending upon how you figure it). Just like when the police pension system changed in Indy, service members at some point will be grandfathered under the old system and new folks will come under the new system. I'm not certain what effect changing the retirement and benefits system will have on retention and enlistments, but you can bet your sweet Aunt Fanny that the military will look very closely at those issues, since they are heavy drivers in an all-volunteer force.

I made the Military a career for the retirement and benefits. It was part of my pay. It was either the USMC in war time or the US Postal Service. I figured the USMC was safer.

Top Bottom