• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I have found that in mosquito dense areas it really is not much more effective than plain old big spray which is not. I'm not talking Indiana here. Northwoods, back country ect... best thing I have found is Sawyers bug dope and ....this stuff for pre-tripping prep....Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray - Walmart.com

sorry for the long link.

That hasn't been my experience. I've hunted some Wabash bottoms where the skeeters are big enough stand flat footed and make love to the turkeys. ;)

They are thick too....

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    "Allegedly", the difference between Sawyer's and any homemade mixture lies in the inert ingredients. Sawyer's inert ingredients include binders that are supposed to help the permethrin hold onto to fabrics. Do those binders make it hold 15X better? I doubt it.:dunno:
    Plus I am of the age where I still feel a certain kind of comfort knowing that the use of toxins are making my life better. I choose glowing at night over having Lyme Disease. What I have found is having more on hand means I will use it more often. Exposure to water seems to break it down and here we have lots of that. The cost of Sawyer makes me feel like I should be careful with it. I bought one bottle of it maybe ten years ago, saw it was permethrin and started refilling it. I also keep some larger bottles on hand. When I set up the tents I hit them with the large sprayer, let dry then store them away. I take the small spray bottles to put fresh spray on around the bottom once in camp.

Tonight I will be hanging up enough clothes for all weekend and they all get sprayed then left to dry in front of a fan in the garage where no cats will be.

I have always liked permethrin but now that I live in a high frequency area for lyme disease, I have no intention of getting it. Talk to people who have had it and you don't want it.

I own a fogger because back when west nile came through Indiana I had a bird drop dead mid air and land at my feet and then they found it near our house. F that, call in a napalm strike.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Plus I am of the age where I still feel a certain kind of comfort knowing that the use of toxins are making my life better...I own a fogger because back when west nile came through Indiana I had a bird drop dead mid air and land at my feet and then they found it near our house. F that, call in a napalm strike.

Daddy? Or, maybe just some kind of long lost relative.:D

I was schooled in the black art of pesticides by my dad, who spent many years working for an ag chemical distributor. We got lots of good scratch and dent/punctured bag deals. As a kid, I remember dad, hunched over his custom built sprayer, dumping in this and that, cackling like a mad scientist. When I started reading labels, they all say, "DO NOT MIX WITH ANY OTHER PRODUCT!". I pointed this out to him and he said those warnings were for civilians, not professional bug killers. When the lightning bugs come out, we can visually see his handiwork. It's like we have an impenetrable fence around our property.:cool:

Top Bottom