• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have been coming up to SW Michigan and fishing in the small lakes around here for years and no matter what I tried, I always end up being a "mosquito buffet". Most Michigan mosquitos are large enough to require landing lights...so the bites are huge and itch like crazy.

On a whim I purchased a Thermacell unit for $23 at bass pro shops and tried it yesterday, and I did not get bitten once for the three hours I was out there, my buddies (who made fun of my purchase by the way) were eaten alive even with Deet on.

I was skeptical, but I tried it and it worked great on the industrial mosquitos up here so it ought to work anywhere...just thought I would pass it along.

-Drew

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah those things are freakin awesome. I have had one since they came out and have bought a few as gifts for people and everyone loves them. Best money you can spend to keep them damn bugs off you.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    They do work awesome, but remember to let them run for 5-10 minutes before you count on them to clear the bugs out. But man o man do they work!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo and I made a special trip out today just to look for one and then we forget to actually look while we were out. :n00b:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I wondered about how well they work in an breeze. I also am interested if they work while hiking or walking. They seem to be for stationary activities. Any input?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I wondered about how well they work in an breeze. I also am interested if they work while hiking or walking. They seem to be for stationary activities. Any input?
    Breeze, yes. Wind, no.

It's putting a vapor cloud of repellant in the air, so a stiff breeze can blow it away. I used one for the first time in a swamp, 15ft in a tree stand, and hung the unit up-wind of me, never had too much problem.

It's not going to work while hiking or fishing, if you're alway in motion.

For hiking/fly fishing, I have an Insect Shield hat and shirt from Orvis, they work pretty good too.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I don't think they would work well for walking.

I think if there is enough breeze to keep them from working it's probably enough to help keep the skeeters off. I sat beside a highway a couple hours last night right at dusk, not more than ten feet off the water on a bridge and I used an Off brand mosquito coil. Same principle as the thermocell. Off and on big wind from traffic and dead still calm in between. It worked fine, not a single skeeter bite.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There are several colors available: a camo version, a realtree HD camo version and your basic olive drab green, the appliance itself is the same no matter the color. I went with the olive drab version because it was a couple bucks cheaper. Here is the link (ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent).

I tried it last night in a light breeze and it still worked but the "circle of effectiveness" seemed a bit smaller. YMMV.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    I LOVE mine. I use it in the garden when picking / weeding. We sit on the deck with it nearby in the evenings. Hunting is great with it too.

As others have said. It takes 5-10 min to build up the bubble of protection and it doesn't work real great in a breeze or if you are moving quickly. I find that if I put it in my garden I can move +/- 8-10' from it and still be protected. So I have a pretty large area to work in. I just move it along with me as I get near the edge of it's range.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, you guys did me in.

The wife HATES using spray on repellents... so last night we were at Menards, and had our cart loaded with free stuff but needed to meet the $10 to get all the free stuff, so I thought we'd look for a thermacell. Sure enough, Menards has them, and I had to buy one.

BTW, they're cheaper than Walmart both on the thermacell unit and the refills.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I took a thermacell to boundry waters and can also testify that the thermacell is an amazing machine. Anybody who has ever been up their knows that at night it sounds like a squadron of zeros zooming around your tent at night.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I took a thermacell to boundry waters and can also testify that the thermacell is an amazing machine. Anybody who has ever been up their knows that at night it sounds like a squadron of zeros zooming around your tent at night.

I'll have to try it next time I go up there. Went into Sag and down Otter Track... and yeah - the mosquitoes up there have 4 engines....

Top Bottom