• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Cartel. It's not just for Latino's in other countries.

Cartel is a monopoly.

Drug runners do it for money.

Government does it for power.

Why you ask?

Because it's about power and control. This 'war' gives them both.

Think about how different the average traffic stop would be if there wasn't a war on people errrr, drugs? Thats just one example.

No Knock warrants? The criminals might "flush" the evidence...

The only thing worse than a drug dealer is someone who supports the destruction of people rights under the guise of a 'war on drugs'.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I do not know what the cost is to "house" a drug offender over the time of a typical sentence. I wonder what the cost is to effectively treat a person with a serious drug addiction?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I personally think if the govt wanted to "win" the war on drugs, they could so easily. The problem? They don't want to see it end.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I do not know what the cost is to "house" a drug offender over the time of a typical sentence. I wonder what the cost is to effectively treat a person with a serious drug addiction?

Are typical drug offenders addicts, or recreational users? Is the typical drug offender in prison? Are these users or dealers? Any information on their offenses and criminal histories? What is a typical sentence for a drug offender?

I know everyone knows about some guy who got busted for pot and is doing 10 years in DOC, but are there reliable stats that break this down in a non-partisan way? Are we talking State or federal custody?

Just curious. This is an ongoing argument here, and seems like there isn't much middle-ground or attempt to reach some consensus (assuming one is possible). It seems like both sides to this argument have lots of facts to support their positions. :dunno:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I personally think if the govt wanted to "win" the war on drugs, they could so easily. The problem? They don't want to see it end.

With utmost respect:

This coming from one who has to follow through on the orders to fight this war. This is a person who has seen the results up close and personal. Another case of politicians picking fights and then sending in the foot soldiers to pay the cost.

This kind of crap pisses me off, I'll shut up now.:xmad:

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    At the very least they should leagalize (cant spell) pot.

It is 100% impossible to get rid of, that will never happen.
    Might as well benefit from the sales.

Jimmy

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Prohibition does not work. Take a look a the criminal empires that were spawned by the prohibition of 'intoxicating spirits' early in the 20th century. Look at the 'cocaine cowboy' years in Miami. Look at the cartel violence in Juarez...all the same.

Needless violence.

Legalize Pot. Legalize Cocaine. Legalize Methamphetamine. Legalize LSD and MDMA. Legalize Heroine. Regulate the cultivation and manufacture of each. Tax the distribution of these products.

If we as a society are truly concerned with drug abuse, we need to begin treating it as an economic issue, a public health issue, but not a criminal justice issue. It is my humble opinion that most addicts would be better served by medical care (including mental health services) than incarceration.

-Paul

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    On the contrary, the 'war on drugs' is a huge success. It has 'justified' forfeiture laws which put vast sums of money in .gov hands which we never would have permitted without the bogeyman of drugs coming to swallow up us and our children. It has justified spending on arms, tactical equipment, vehicles, and aircraft in a way that has created its own analog to the Military Industrial Complex. It has 'justified' the creation of entire new federal agencies and the expansion of several other multiplying the personal power and influence of numerous people and the employment of a huge number of federal agents. As Prometheus said, it has done much to expand the .gov's accumulated power (largely extraconstitutional in nature) and has severely shifted the balance in the relationships between the federal government and the states as well as the relationship between government and governed. In no way is it a failure, and can only be judged a failure by those who still buy into the falsehood that the purpose is to eradicate drugs.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    The govt. likes it the way it is.
    A big cash cow. Kind of like the goose that lays the golden egg. Your gonna take care of that goose. There would not be as great of a need for all the prisons, judges, probation officers, etc. etc. if drugs or at least pot was legalized.
    Both of my kids have been on house arrest and probation for being stupid. example;
    excise police were watching a liquor store and my 20 yr. old son was driving. His buddy who was 21 went it and made a purchase. Excise police follow him until he made a violation. He threw a lit cigarette out the window. long story short he was charged with and pled guilty to; minor transporting, throwing buring material from a vehicle, possession of pot. [small roach in ashtray] and possession of a throwing star.
    30 days in the hole, 4 months house arrest, + 6 months probation.

Trust me......it's all about the money.
    Sorry if my rant got off topic.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The Obama administration swears that Prohibition worked. That's what their strategy is based on. Sad thing is their drug warriors actually believe this nonsense, even in the face of the facts. Of course, their republicrat buddies believe the same things, so we're all stuck with them.

Say Anything In Making Case For Drug Prohibition, Obama Administration Claims Alcohol Prohibition Worked » Say Anything

Nixon started it. It would take a genuine Republican to end it, as no Democrat is going to have the bona fides to pull off such a policy shift.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Nixon started it. It would take a genuine Republican to end it, as no Democrat is going to have the bona fides to pull off such a policy shift.
    No republican is ever going to pull the plug on it. All they've ever done is ratchet things up. Just look at Reagan. He's the patron saint for republicrats and he upped the ante on the drug war. So did Clinton. Republicrats play to their "law and order" base by showing how tough they are on the WoD. Dems do the same. Neither have a stake in ending it. It will take a libertarian to end it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    No republican is ever going to pull the plug on it. All they've ever done is ratchet things up. Just look at Reagan. He's the patron saint for republicrats and he upped the ante on the drug war. So did Clinton. Republicrats play to their "law and order" base by showing how tough they are on the WoD. Dems do the same. Neither have a stake in ending it. It will take a libertarian to end it.
    Stranger things have happened. Nixon went to China, after all (even if it was just to forge his legacy).

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    -- H. L. Mencken

ergo,

War on Drugs

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

William F. Buckley Jr. and Milton Friedman both advocated legalization and they are two of the great Republicans. So you just never know.

Top Bottom