• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    So right now, i'm on IUPUI's campus, and they've blocked two parking lots off and have restricted human traffic in the same area to police movements only.

As i understand it: There is an Iraqi veteran who is presumably suffering from PTSD, and has a firearm and body armor. Again, this is presumed, since it's from our good friends in the news department.

Just wanted to point out how uncomfortably unsafe i feel. I usually park at the edge of the lots they have blocked off, so i parked on the roof of a parking garage. I couldn't see anything from up there, so i just went on to class.

Not only would carrying on campus make me feel safer, but in the (god forbid) chance that the vet somehow escaped the police's grip and came towards any other campus building, i believe i, or any of my fellow SCCC members, would be able to save some pain and suffering, and maybe even save a few lives.

I know this will be detrimental to the ongoing issue of campus carrying, but i for one have had my eyes opened. Let's hope they don't kill this veteran, but i'm pretty sure that's standard procedure for PTSD sufferers...

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    The class I'm in right now is pretty full, it doesn't seem like this is effecting this much. I have a few friends who live in the apartment complex where this is going on, haven't heard anything from them yet though.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    yeah lockefield is not on campus...my girlfriend lives at lockefield so i was super nervous...i too am shocked by the amount of students on campus and no one caring!?!?! any info on how i can get with the sccc would help!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Let's hope they don't kill this veteran, but i'm pretty sure that's standard procedure for PTSD sufferers...

Yep, IMPD General Order 0.0 (the most top-secret one) states officers MUST kill all PTSD sufferers on sight. :rolleyes: The SWAT guys must not be following orders though because they have been negotiating with the guy since they arrived at the apartment. They should all be fired for insubordination, and then sued.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yep, IMPD General Order 0.0 (the most top-secret one) states officers MUST kill all PTSD sufferers on sight. :rolleyes: The SWAT guys must not be following orders though because they have been negotiating with the guy since they arrived at the apartment. They should all be fired for insubordination, and then sued.

All sarcasm aside, Frank, it didn't sound to me like he meant any kind of official policy but rather what usually ends up happening. From the news reports I've seen, it's not that the police prefer that "resolution", only that the subject in question often leaves you guys no choice or takes care of it himself. (suicide vs. suicide by cop) :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    yeah lockefield is not on campus...my girlfriend lives at lockefield so i was super nervous...i too am shocked by the amount of students on campus and no one caring!?!?! any info on how i can get with the sccc would help!

I don't think it's that no one cares, it's more that a lot of students don't even know that Lockefield is so close and also that there isn't really anything to be afraid of for them. The guy is/was barricaded in his apartment with Police surrounding the area.

Related to the situation; My Crim Justice professor is a Captain with the IUPUI Police Department, showed up today only to find out it's canceled shoulda guessed that..! Now to kill 2.5 hours.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    All sarcasm aside, Frank, it didn't sound to me like he meant any kind of official policy but rather what usually ends up happening. From the news reports I've seen, it's not that the police prefer that "resolution", only that the subject in question often leaves you guys no choice or takes care of it himself. (suicide vs. suicide by cop) :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

All sarcasm aside, it sounded like he meant it as a slam on the police. It gets a little old, especially when blanket statements are made.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    All sarcasm aside, it sounded like he meant it as a slam on the police. It gets a little old, especially when blanket statements are made.

Oh lord no! Frank, it was in no way meant to bash police officers. I had just assumed that since they can't communicate with the man, and he may come out shooting due to PTSD or mental illness, that the officers would have to take him down, and 'less than lethal' methods would take a backseat to the survival of officers. It was more of a 'i hope no one gets hurt' statement than anything else.

Also, most of the students on campus were completely oblivious to the fact that there was an armed, probably mentally ill, gunman near campus. They were pissed about PARKING. Parking lots. Being late to class. Junk like that.

Geniuses...

Good to know it ended without any casualties, as well.
    Link here.

Last edited:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    most people were unaware...they got the jag alert but didnt know anything else until i informed them...that was the scary part. one of my friends lived in the apartment next to him and got some crazy pictures

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    most people were unaware...they got the jag alert but didnt know anything else until i informed them...that was the scary part. one of my friends lived in the apartment next to him and got some crazy pictures

Pics or gtfo.
    No really, he was next door? Wow.

I just got out of my night class and one student said this (paraphrased):

Man, parking was wonderful! There should have police activity every day!

:nuts:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Oh lord no! Frank, it was in no way meant to bash police officers. I had just assumed that since they can't communicate with the man, and he may come out shooting due to PTSD or mental illness, that the officers would have to take him down, and 'less than lethal' methods would take a backseat to the survival of officers. It was more of a 'i hope no one gets hurt' statement than anything else.

I appreciate the clarification.

The officers on scene were communicating with the guy as much as they possibly could. He was armed with at least one long gun and officers were standing within 10 feet of him trying to get him to peacefully surrender. At one point SWAT did deploy a beanbag shotgun but it was ineffective. Thankfully they didn't have to escalate to deadly force and the situation was resolved.

I have only dealt with a few PTSD sufferers, and it is an eye-opener to see firsthand how someone is affected by combat or any other type of violent encounter. Unfortunately not everyone can be "talked down" and the situation successfully resolved.

Top Bottom