• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should the US military keep the M4 or is time for a new rifle?

• Total voters

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You could have at least waited until tomorrow, maybe show some respect for those who used them to win a World War and fight the Chinese and Russians in Korea.

I have plenty of Respect for the VETERANS that won those Wars and Conflicts. Just not the Equipment that was used.

People won and lost those battles not the equipment. ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ansc7.jpg

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    You could have at least waited until tomorrow, maybe show some respect for those who used them to win a World War and fight the Chinese and Russians in Korea.

Not sure if this was ment as a joke but ya.......

Both of those rifles are not suited for modern combat which is what Jeremy was talking about. We arnt fighting enemies with bolt action guns anymore.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I just get tired of listening to the Armchair Commandos that Know for a Fact what it is like but have yet to venture to far beyond Our Stateline...

I could see that being annoying. I've never been in the military, so I don't even offer an opinion when I read threads like these.

I was just laughing because of the timing of your comment.:):

They are fun at the range, but I wouldn't want to carry a 12 lb M14 all day. I have a couple of ARs, but I don't make my living with them. Nothing but respect for active duty and veterans.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I could see that being annoying. I've never been in the military, so I don't even offer an opinion when I read threads like these.

I was just laughing because of the timing of your comment.:):

They are fun at the range, but I wouldn't want to carry a 12 lb M14 all day. I have a couple of ARs, but I don't make my living with them. Nothing but respect for active duty and veterans.

Here is a question for you?
    How much does 210 Rounds of 7.62 in Mags weigh?!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Don't know. Too much to carry all day.

You already said the Rifle weighs 12 lbs.
    210 rounds in mags weighs in at around another 16 lbs. We are at 28 lbs of gear and have yet to speak of Armor, Water, Clothing, Food, etc...

An M4 weighs in at around 6 lbs, 7 mags for a 210 round payload is 7 lbs. For a combined total of 13 pounds...

So for the toll which would you want to hump across broken terrain all day?! ;)

Last edited:

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Here is a question for you?
    How much does 210 Rounds of 7.62 in Mags weigh?!

Don't know. Too much to carry all day.

I know the answer!
    IMG_0864.jpg

This is 210 rounds of 7.62 in 10 20 round mags and one 10 round mag since you wanted 210.

Shall I break out the 5.56 mags next or so should I just break out the scale on my "Modernized M1A"?
    SAM_0889.jpg

I could remove the Leupold for a Aimpoint, add a Surefire TacLight to give a realistic riflemans set up..

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    You already said the Rifle weighs 12 lbs.
    300 rounds in mags weighs in at around another 24 pounds. We are at 36 pounds of gear and have yet to speak of Armor, Water, Clothing, Food, etc...

An M4 weighs in at around 6 lbs, 7 mags for a 210 round payload is 7 lbs. For a combined total of 13 pounds...

So for the toll which would you want to hump across broken terrain all day?! ;)

I would probably just try to catch a ride, regardless of the weight of my gear.:)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I know the answer!
    IMG_0864.jpg

This is 210 rounds of 7.62 in 10 20 round mags and one 10 round mag since you wanted 210.

Shall I break out the 5.56 mags next or so should I just break out the scale on my "Modernized M1A"?
    SAM_0889.jpg

I could remove the Leupold for a Aimpoint, add a Surefire TacLight to give a realistic riflemans set up..

And the answer is still the same, to damn much...

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Oh, Im not saying its light by any means! Im in favor of the 5.56 as the standard round over the 7.62.
    I know enough about the "SUCK" of too much gear. I was a 240B Gunner for years. 15 months of witch I was in Iraq with the 101st walking down canals and goat trails.. It sucked, but your everyone's best friend when SHTF.

Both rounds have its place is what I'm getting at with this. Very true most of the time we couldn't take full advantage of the range of the 5.56, we were to busy shooting, moving and communicating to be able to take that 300 meter shot. While the 240s, and SDM m14s took great advantage of our range and penetration. We work in a hand in hand relationship, but we could never switch back to 7.62 as a standard round. The weight it too much.

Top Bottom