• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I had the joy of spending time with family member X. Three cars, 5 bedroom home, nice TV's , electronic toys and very high dollar furniture. He went all out on outfitting his new home. He lives in a nice area of Hamilton County, IN.

Two incomes and they have four vacations a year to warm and wet beaches.

I was talking about some things I did around my place. He stated that is what contractors and service centers are for....Why fix it yourself, when it,s cheaper and faster to have a "pro" do it. Everything he needs is minutes away.

He is 47 and has never changed the oil on any of his cars. fixed a toilet, repaired drywall or painted a room. He has never split wood or gone camping. He asked for some help in the garage but had no real tools to do the job. I had better tools in the trunk of my car and I corrected the problem with the garage door.

If fixed some of his car problems over the years.

There was not a spare part or bottle of oil for the cars in the place. He did have half a gallon of window washer fluid!

He is completely unprepared for any event that would keep him home for more than a few days? Other than a case of water and a few cases of beer in the basement fridge, he had no stockpiles of food. They have lived for decades going by the stores to get what they needed for the next few days.

If a crisis lasted for 8 days or more, they would be in serious trouble.

Two of his three cars had less than a third of a tank of gas each. None of them had any tools or simple repair items to help if a vehicle broke down.

He had a nice flashlight, but the batteries were dead.

I left shaking my head. Wonder how unprepared his neighbors are?

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I hear ya brother. I have some inlaws like that. They are nice, but he would be completely useless in an emergency. They consider our rural country life to be "quaint". But turn their noses up at things like building a shed, putting out a garden or raising chickens.
    Funny thing is if something would happen, you would probably be the first person that would come to mind for help.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Maybe you should help your friend instead of criticizing him. Perhaps you could offer your help and wisdom?

Last edited:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    One of my coworkers told me "I probably have enough guns and ammo to hold off the National Guard if I had to." I thought oh, a fellow prepper. So I started talking to him about different survival techniques and other survival tools such as knives and such. Nope. His response was "I'm not really into knives that much. And what the heck is a bow drill?" :rolleyes: I still randomly interject it into conversations with him and hope for the best. Honestly, that's all you can do.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    These people will make horrible slaves when they build the comparative Trojan-like walled city, Teutonia.

All kidding aside, there will be 3 types of people, Wolves, sheep and Sheep-dogs.

You can count your lucky stars he doesnt live in the City of Indpls, because those types and even other types are going to be prey.

People need to learn the value of MSGs.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    I've only recently started really preparing. We aren't rural, so we can't have chickens, etc (for a few years, anyways), but I'm actively buying supplies now. Pretty limited budget doesn't help anything, but better than nothing.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I sent him the list of the 100 things to disappear last night in an email.

The list:
    100 things to go first

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance etc.)
    2. Water Filters/Purifiers
    3. Portable Toilets
    4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
    5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
    6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
    7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
    8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
    9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
    10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
    11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
    12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
    13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
    16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.)
    17. Survival Guide Book.
    18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
    19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
    20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
    21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
    22. Vitamins
    23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)
    24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
    25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
    26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
    27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
    28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
    29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
    30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
    31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
    32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
    33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
    34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit
    35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
    36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
    37. First aid kits
    38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
    39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
    40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
    41. Flour, yeast & salt
    42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
    43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
    44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
    45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
    46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns
    47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
    48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
    49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
    50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
    51. Fishing supplies/tools
    52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
    53. Duct Tape
    54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
    55. Candles
    56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
    57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
    58. Garden tools & supplies
    59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
    60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
    61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
    62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
    63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
    64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
    65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
    66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
    67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
    68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
    69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
    70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
    71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
    72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
    73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
    74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
    75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
    76. Reading glasses
    77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
    78. "Survival-in-a-Can"
    79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
    80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
    81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)
    82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
    83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
    84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
    85. Lumber (all types)
    86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
    87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's
    88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
    89. Lantern Hangers
    90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
    91. Teas
    92. Coffee
    93. Cigarettes
    94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
    95. Paraffin wax
    96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
    97. Chewing gum/candies
    98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
    99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
    100. Livestock

He wrote back this.

XXXX,

I'm sure you have most if not all of those items so wifey and I are coming to your place.

I wrote back

IIIII,

Funny,

Yes you are welcome in an emergency, but you have to remember, my family comes first.

I hope you take that list and go shopping for some items to keep in some rubbermaid containers that you would bring to our place in an emergency.

Two of your cars did not have enough gas in them if you had to drop everything and drive to my place.

Something else to think about. What if we had to come to your place in a disaster? How would you handle 5 more people to deal with for more than a few days with no power or water? You would not want us to show up with nothing, would you?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've only recently started really preparing. We aren't rural, so we can't have chickens, etc (for a few years, anyways), but I'm actively buying supplies now. Pretty limited budget doesn't help anything, but better than nothing.

Prepping, or survivalism, isn't so much about what you store or buy, it's about mindset and attitude. Most people approach it just from a what you can stock attitude, but really it's a multiple approach. Get as much training as you can for the events that are most likely. Study new things, talk with like minded folks to see how they do it.

I live on an income that Longbow's relatives up there would probably consider poverty level, but I am pretty sure I lead a richer life, and I am fairly certain that I can weather things life can throw at a person better.

As far as what you buy and store, store what you use and use what you store. Instead of trying to buy a year supply of food at once, take a look at all of the consumables you use, and make a goal to increase it in stages. First stage is to be able to go a week or two. Next stage is to be able to go a month or two. Next stage is six months to a year. It's not a good plan to have a lifetime supply of ammo and TP and only a week of food. Having a plan and setting acheivable goals in increments can help you feel better about what you have done and to avoid panic about what you still need to do.

Finally, in spite of the fact that I can live for a year without resupply if TEOTWAWKI happens, let's look at a few interesting details:
    SHTF on INGO I've noticed since June 2010:
    1 Emergency appendectomy
    1 Divorce
    5 Serious car accidents no serious injury but car totaled
    2 Serious car accidents- injury requiring hospital
    7 Lost jobs/no new job ready to go
    6 Family deaths
    4 children born
    2 significant flooding events

Note there have been no zombie apocalypse or major social collapse in that time, but each of these I grant you that these are just little figures I've been noting as I see them, and I may have missed a few. I don't think I missed a ZA or major social collapse. Each one of those little SHTF or other events were life changing events for the folks involved.

Just something to think about when you prep.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I had the joy of spending time with family member X. Three cars, 5 bedroom home, nice TV's , electronic toys and very high dollar furniture. He went all out on outfitting his new home. He lives in a nice area of Hamilton County, IN.

Two incomes and they have four vacations a year to warm and wet beaches.

I was talking about some things I did around my place. He stated that is what contractors and service centers are for....Why fix it yourself, when it,s cheaper and faster to have a "pro" do it. Everything he needs is minutes away.

He is 47 and has never changed the oil on any of his cars. fixed a toilet, repaired drywall or painted a room. He has never split wood or gone camping. He asked for some help in the garage but had no real tools to do the job. I had better tools in the trunk of my car and I corrected the problem with the garage door.

If fixed some of his car problems over the years.

There was not a spare part or bottle of oil for the cars in the place. He did have half a gallon of window washer fluid!

He is completely unprepared for any event that would keep him home for more than a few days? Other than a case of water and a few cases of beer in the basement fridge, he had no stockpiles of food. They have lived for decades going by the stores to get what they needed for the next few days.

If a crisis lasted for 8 days or more, they would be in serious trouble.

Two of his three cars had less than a third of a tank of gas each. None of them had any tools or simple repair items to help if a vehicle broke down.

He had a nice flashlight, but the batteries were dead.

I left shaking my head. Wonder how unprepared his neighbors are?

With modern cars even a small tool set will not help much....

Having a running car is not a need, it is a convenience... who's to say you would even have a car to use when it comes down to it.

To give you an idea on my thinking I have at least one flast light that does not take batteries..........

The last thing I would ever prep for or worry about is a working car.....

For a big natural disaster your car will be near usless anyway.

P.S. Just because you don't see preps does not mean he does not have any hidden... and for all you know he is playing dumb to keep you away if things get bad.......

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The unexpected..........

Now toss a major fire into your preps.......

BTDT. No insurance because I couldn't get any on my place. Lost all but three guns. Most of my ammo, reloading supplies, 90% of my food and other preps. Most tools. This was in February a few years ago.

Lived in the partially heated shop for three months. Had a few showers outside in 20F weather next to a roaring fire. Worked 18 hour days 7 days a week for several weeks. Was glad I had the shop but was prepared to live in tents during that time (I own a bunch of tents, stored in various outbuildings.

Still had a significant amount of what I needed to rebuild stored in seperate buildings/outbuildings, but it still cost me about $15k and three months to get a cabin built, plus basic "necessities" cost a fortune when you have to go buy them all at once. A bunch of people helped with the rebuild effort.

Now preps are broken up and more evenly distributed around the property, including a basic set that are in what is essentially a bombproof location, so even a major tornado wiping everything else out will leave us with the basics for several weeks.

The biggest thing that enabled me to get through wasn't the help from friends and strangers. That was appreciated. It wasn't owning a sawmill and a lot of timber and the means of making lumber and digging basements with the tractor and the like. It was the skills I had and the attitude I kept throughout. Crap happens, you salvage what you can, ensure you can survive the immediate future, and then move forward.

grumpe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    whiteland
    People don't expect anything bad to happen here in the US of A. Most powerful country. People will continue to believe what they see on their local news. Continue to believe "they" have their best interest at heart and "they" will keep this country going.. nothing bad can happen here.. that is for "all the other small country's" Most people will never hear the truth because they do not want to and believe it just will not happen here. They are happy with all the small changes, they are happy with their 2 mortgages, 2 car loans, all their 6 children at schools, their 30.000 dept in credit cards, ect. ( Do ya believe they are still going to the FL beeches on vacation because the news said too... stimulate the economy.. the oil is gone.) Because that is the way it is done here, that is what is expected of them. People will never change their opinions of their way of life. These people will be hurt the most when the SHTF. Others will pray on them and do what they want to these people. Ignorance is bliss - don't forget that: The power of their local TV - what they say is the truth. They are all too happy and content to think of next month... 6 months from now. They are all too worried about this year's Christmas card and how they are going to impress everyone else.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Wife use to ask why I had some much ammo around the house, and than Katrina happened and no more questions.

Yeah, when 9/11 happened, I grabbed my Garand and made sure the ammo was handy, just in case. Didn't know how widespread the attack was going to be.

When Katrina hit, I went and filled up 2 cars before the gas prices skyrocketed, and had my wife stop on the way home from work to fill her car up. And then made sure our stores of gas were topped off.

Some people are just clueless how interdependent and fragile our society really is.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    My wife is talking with the sister in law about basic preps "she" does, and planning for Thanksgiving Dinner. Seems SIL read the email I sent to him and it opened her eyes.

They are talking "just a few extra things each week" and some must haves if the power goes out.

Looks like one of them has an idea. The 100 items list looks like it might be a shopping list for them, minus the livestock.

About a year or so ago, one of my brothers was in the same unprepared state. He is much better now, but has a long way to go. The forth kid slowed him down on prepin.

BlisterPac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Great list - saw wagons and carts - didn't see bicycles. I think a bicycle in good working condition would be valuable. We also have a tow behind cart that might come in handy as well (transportation in severe gas shortage situation, small children bug-out situation, etc.)

Also - good to see lumber on the list - can also double as fuel, especially left over scrap (i never throw those away).

Started prepping years ago, probably prompted by having children.

It's doesn't take make for a SHTF situation - just look at what happened around Ames, Iowa this year. Serious rainfall/flood - no clean water for days...

Top Bottom