• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Where would Tesla be without subsidies? If your company needs the government to help make your products survive in the market, perhaps you need a more manly business model.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Where would Tesla be without subsidies? If your company needs the government to help make your products survive in the market, perhaps you need a more manly business model.

Didn't we go over this with Carrier? If it saves manufacturing jobs government subsidies are good...
    But really I would be interested to see if Tesla had trouble moving cars had EV's not been subsidized back when Tesla was benefiting. Considering the cost of the cars already I'd be curious if that extra 4k dissuaded many owners from their purchase. Either way Tesla didn't get to try it's hand at a subsidy free market.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Didn't we go over this with Carrier? If it saves manufacturing jobs government subsidies are good...
    But really I would be interested to see if Tesla had trouble moving cars had EV's not been subsidized back when Tesla was benefiting. Considering the cost of the cars already I'd be curious if that extra 4k dissuaded many owners from their purchase. Either way Tesla didn't get to try it's hand at a subsidy free market.

Yes. We went over it. I think I'll stay consistent and be against subsidies because I think subsidies are wrong, and not just because my candidate is for or against them.

Regardless of the price tag, Tesla is more than happy to advertise the government paid incentives for buying their cars.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Where do you think Tesla has been making it's cars? Where did they build their gigafactory? Have they not held this plan for years? Can you imagine the (rightful) griping we'd hear if someone gave credit to Obama every time someone started manufacturing something here?
    The stories aren't coming any faster, the confirmation bias switch has simply flipped from 'repress good employment news' to 'embrace good employment news'
    Please give examples of the 80,000 manufacturing jobe Obama created and I will be glad to give him credit for them.

I guess we could start with Solyndra.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Where do you think Tesla has been making it's cars? Where did they build their gigafactory? Have they not held this plan for years? Can you imagine the (rightful) griping we'd hear if someone gave credit to Obama every time someone started manufacturing something here?
    The stories aren't coming any faster, the confirmation bias switch has simply flipped from 'repress good employment news' to 'embrace good employment news'

Oh, OK. Thanks for informing me. :cheers:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Do you differentiate between subsidies and tax breaks

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Do you differentiate between subsidies and tax breaks

Tesla gets direct subsidies, indirect subsidies and tax breaks. It also benefits from subsidies paid to customers as incentives to buy "green" cars. To Jludo's point, given the price for Teslas, likely the people who can afford them likely don't think much about the $7500 tax break. But I'm sure they claim it. I mean, it's part of the virtue signaling ritual for buying green.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Please give examples of the 80,000 manufacturing jobe Obama created and I will be glad to give him credit for them.

First explain to me how the executive office "creates" jobs. I got nothing.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

giving your friends a billion dollars for their pet project creates a few jobs I guess.

the presidency "creates" jobs by getting the government out of the way by working to lower taxes and reducing regulations

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

That wa sin reference to a statement made by the current Presidents press secretary, who said that Trump would have to save a thousand jobs 80 or 180 more times to catch up with the manufacturing jobs Obama had created.

I didn't see the media suppressing any stories of jobs being created during the Obama administration.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yes. We went over it. I think I'll stay consistent and be against subsidies because I think subsidies are wrong, and not just because my candidate is for or against them.

Regardless of the price tag, Tesla is more than happy to advertise the government paid incentives for buying their cars.

Consistent? There's no place for that here. From what I understand the subsidy is only for the first few hundred thousand EVs off the line so car buyers can't get them on Tesla anymore. Though we shouldn't be giving anyone subsidies. Or bailing them out.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

Why do you think I'd defend those numbers? It's absurd to say Obama created those jobs just as its absurd to give Trump credit for Teslas factory in New York. Are you giving Trump credit for the new york factory?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The 4k In federal dollars Tesla owners got were tax breaks, it's all bad.

But Tesla is not the recipient of the 4K. The buyer got it off of his tax. The tax break could be realized by buying a hybrid. Toyota, Ford, Honda whoever.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Consistent? There's no place for that here. From what I understand the subsidy is only for the first few hundred thousand EVs off the line so car buyers can't get them on Tesla anymore. Though we shouldn't be giving anyone subsidies. Or bailing them out.

Then why does Tesla have a web page dedicated to all the subsidies you can get if you buy their cars?

You get a phat $7500 US income tax *credit*. And, depending on how commie your state, you get another phat state tax credit or rebate or deduction as a reward for your virtue.

Buy Tesla. Get money back from the givernment. Great business model.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The 4k In federal dollars Tesla owners got were tax breaks, it's all bad.

Oh, it's more than $4K. And it's not really a tax break per se. It's a credit. That's direct money from America's collective pockets to the elitist virtue signaling **********s.

But Tesla is not the recipient of the 4K. The buyer got it off of his tax. The tax break could be realized by buying a hybrid. Toyota, Ford, Honda whoever.

Yes, anyone who is deemed virtuous by the .gov gets the carrot. **** .gov. **** Tesla. **** Toyota, Ford, Honda, whoever.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh. One more thing. Tesla's model 3 starts at $35K. You might be able to get one delivered sometime in 2018. If you live in Louisiana, between state and federal rebates and tax credits, you could own a brand new Tesla for under $20K. That kinda makes the subsidies a prominent part of the business model, wouldn't you say?

I think I should get a rebate for my Jeep. I'll paint it green. I promise.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Maybe I should have asked What good employment news was repressed.

Please give examples of the 80,000 manufacturing jobs Obama created and I will be glad to give him credit for them.

Why do you think I'd defend those numbers? It's absurd to say Obama created those jobs just as its absurd to give Trump credit for Teslas factory in New York. Are you giving Trump credit for the new york factory?
    In my opinion the political environment has a lot to do with the attitude of business es toward investing. For the last 8 years we have had minimal growth and I do attribute that to the Obama regime's anti capitalism agenda. Presently there is optimism. I am optimistic, so yes I believe that we will see more growth and I will attribute it to government getting out of the way. If you were in charge and causing the change I would give you credit.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Oh, it's more than $4K. And it's not really a tax break per se. It's a credit. That's direct money from America's collective pockets to the elitist virtue signaling **********s.

Yes, anyone who is deemed virtuous by the .gov gets the carrot. **** .gov. **** Tesla. **** Toyota, Ford, Honda, whoever.

**** everyone is what I'm getting

Top Bottom