• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I think my rant will get a few people butt hurt but here it goes.
    I think the term "Hero", now a days, is being used to loosely. Back in my day, that term was used for people who had performed actions that most people would not do. Like carrying a wounded comrade miles so that he can be evacuated safely, leading an assault charge against an overwhelming force. Just because someone survives a tragedy doesn't make them a hero.

The same thing has been done with the word "Miracle"

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    I agree with the OP.

I think too many (especially in the media, and the bleeding-heart crowd) conflate "victim" and "hero" -- to the detriment of both.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    To your kid you're a hero, to the neighbor not so much. The term hero has always been somewhat open to interpretation. To those of us who came back from war the heros are the one's who didn't get to come back but to many who stayed here we are all heros.
    The term is over used in our over hyped society but nearly as much as 'Shocking' Urgent" "life changing" and OMG.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    What we have is a failure to communicate

Glorification, exaggeration, villification, and prevarication are all used by the media in their over-the-top efforts to sell ink and air time. Others, some internet posters for example, use similar tactics with a generous sprinkling of crudeness and bile in an effort to compensate for their lack of grammatical skills and an inability to communicate in a mature, intelligent manner.

WTF? :dunno:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Agreed to an extent. For me, someone who willingly puts their life on the line day in and day out are heroes as well. LEOs and firefighters to me are heroes because of the dangerous jobs they do and the lack of self importance they exhibit to do the job they do. My cousin was just deployed for the third time, my dad was in the military for 25 years and would regularly work 2-3 jobs so that our family could live comfortably, another one of my cousins was killed over in Afghanistan a few years ago. Those people may not fit other people's definition of a hero, but they are heroes in my life.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    When I was a kid, some of us in our neighborhood would start playing "superheroes" and began picking characters (Batman, Superman, etc.) to assume, and one of us would stop the debate cold with "Yeah, well. I'M (insert name here)!" If that was a real person that we knew, it was just a given that the individual was a hero to us, no matter what the rest of the world thought...it was generally someone we wanted to emulate, for obvious reasons.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am an old man now, but I was taught and believe a HERO, is someone that knowingly puts their own life in jeopardy to preform a deed that really help others (saving their life, preventing injury etc.). To say someone is a hero for doing their job, or rescuing someone without danger to their own life and limb is not truthful. Not to say they are not good citizens and very nice, good/great people, but certainly not a "Hero". It requires bravery to be a Hero, many times that is forgotten.

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    All this talk about heros made me think of a sermon i once heard. basically it is summed up like this: There are alot of people that we would consider to be a hero. But there is one man who is clearly a level above anyone who has ever been called a hero. His name is Jesus Christ. He left paridise, came to live on this earth for 33 years, gave his life in a very brutal and painful manner, so that all of us can can be forgiven of our sins and have everlasting life. And in doing so, he knew that the majority of the people he died for would hate him, and turn down his gift. But he did it anyway. That my friends, is a true hero.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    All this talk about heros made me think of a sermon i once heard. basically it is summed up like this: There are alot of people that we would consider to be a hero. But there is one man who is clearly a level above anyone who has ever been called a hero. His name is Jesus Christ. He left paridise, came to live on this earth for 33 years, gave his life in a very brutal and painful manner, so that all of us can can be forgiven of our sins and have everlasting life. And in doing so, he knew that the majority of the people he died for would hate him, and turn down his gift. But he did it anyway. That my friends, is a true hero.

1x3syp.jpg

Top Bottom