The Supremes surprised me with this one.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wasn't sure what the rule was before. I guess I was under the assumption they could hold you for a "reasonable amount of time" to wait for the doggie. And yes, I'm aware of what happens when one assumes. :):

No, the standard is the time it takes to conduct a routine stop. A routine stop can be anywhere from 5-15 minutes depending on what you have, or more importantly, what you can articulate. And you do NOT have to articulate a crime, only suspicious behavior based on training and experience.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, BBI, how long does it take you, to give me a ticket?????

Uhh, probably a real long time. I don't have a ticket book or an in car computer, so....yeah, awhile.

When I was on the street and doing handwritten tickets, I could get it done in 10 minutes or a bit under I'd say, as long as nothing was hinky and I was only writing one.

I'm just curious as to what changed, but haven't read the statement yet. Absent RS/PC you already can't hold anyone longer than it takes to finish the traffic stop to wait for a dog in Indiana. If you've got RS/PC of dope in the vehicle, then you aren't holding them for the traffic violation any longer. I know the basics, but I never cared much about dope one way or the other so never called for a dog that I can recall.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Uhh, probably a real long time. I don't have a ticket book or an in car computer, so....yeah, awhile.

When I was on the street and doing handwritten tickets, I could get it done in 10 minutes or a bit under I'd say, as long as nothing was hinky and I was only writing one.

I'm just curious as to what changed, but haven't read the statement yet. Absent RS/PC you already can't hold anyone longer than it takes to finish the traffic stop to wait for a dog in Indiana. If you've got RS/PC of dope in the vehicle, then you aren't holding them for the traffic violation any longer. I know the basics, but I never cared much about dope one way or the other so never called for a dog that I can recall.

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it ..... Tried to Rep., but I am out !!!!!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Translation: fishing expedition

While I think you either missed a key part of my post, or simply didn't "get it," call it what you want, that's the way I do business on the street, and it will ALWAYS be the way I do business on the street. If you have an issue with it, tough jerky.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, it does cut it. I don't run everybody to IDACS/NCIC, and no officer does. However, if your car has 20 air fresheners handing from the rear view mirror, has on a Grateful Dead t-shirt, and multiple cell phones in view (none of which are illegal), I will take the extra time to run that person's history, while the k9 is enroute; whereas I would not with a soccer mom, in sweats picking up her kids from the field.

Profiling should be illegal...

purplish tinted text should have been utilized.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    The case was remanded to determine whether the officer had reasonable suspicion to detain him, which he did as Justice Thomas pointed out in his dissent He's still going to jail

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    The last time I got a ticket, the officer ran my DL info through SCMODS (State,County Municipal,Offender,Data,System) and it took less than 5 minutes.He said my VW bus was cool.I gave him a couple piney air fresheners,and said have a good day, and went on.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Yeah, it does cut it. I don't run everybody to IDACS/NCIC, and no officer does. However, if your car has 20 air fresheners handing from the rear view mirror, has on a Grateful Dead t-shirt, and multiple cell phones in view (none of which are illegal), I will take the extra time to run that person's history, while the k9 is enroute; whereas I would not with a soccer mom, in sweats picking up her kids from the field.

profiling and fishing at its finest... Is it acceptable where you work to just pullover someone because of what they are wearing and air fresheners hanging on the mirror.

Keep up the good work and soon enough we will be watching you screaming at a citizen to stop resisting six to eight times while you're tazing him on Cops.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    profiling and fishing at its finest... Is it acceptable where you work to just pullover someone because of what they are wearing and air fresheners hanging on the mirror.

Keep up the good work and soon enough we will be watching you screaming at a citizen to stop resisting six to eight times while you're tazing him on Cops.

Lol, I have an emp in my car that I activate to thwart cameras.
    I always find it funny how much the public doesn't understand about police work. You'd be a good candidate for a citizen's academy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The last time I got a ticket, the officer ran my DL info through SCMODS (State,County Municipal,Offender,Data,System) and it took less than 5 minutes.He said my VW bus was cool.I gave him a couple piney air fresheners,and said have a good day, and went on.

Once he found out you weren't an Nazi from Illinois he must have cut ya loose.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    So what do you do if the stop is taking too long? Tell him you are leaving, wait around for the dog and take him to the Supreme Court, or just peel out and raise the bullet proof shield?

Yesterday there was a squad car in front of me at the light. The light changed and the car just sat there with the officer looking down and doing something perhaps on the computer. I felt myself thinking about reaching for my horn. I didn't, but wondered how much trouble I would be in if i did? He eventually looked up and moved.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So what do you do if the stop is taking too long? Tell him you are leaving, wait around for the dog and take him to the Supreme Court, or just peel out and raise the bullet proof shield?

Yesterday there was a squad car in front of me at the light. The light changed and the car just sat there with the officer looking down and doing something perhaps on the computer. I felt myself thinking about reaching for my horn. I didn't, but wondered how much trouble I would be in if i did? He eventually looked up and moved.

If the stop is taking too long, you issue their/your paperwork and cut them loose. And go ahead, and blow your horn... a little honk will do. It's no big deal.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So what do you do if the stop is taking too long? Tell him you are leaving, wait around for the dog and take him to the Supreme Court, or just peel out and raise the bullet proof shield?...

All of the above...

...or explain it to your lawyer and let him take the steps to gather the evidence of the length of the stop and use it is a motion to suppress.

No charges were filed you say? Oh, then you do nothing about it.

Govern yourself accordingly.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    This decision is long overdue.

"Drug" dogs are a scam. Their purpose is to create probable cause where there is none.
    This decision really isn't about dogs. It's really more about detaining people without at least reasonable suspicion and pursuing unrelated criminal investigations. It wouldn't have mattered what means he used to investigate.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Lol, I have an emp in my car that I activate to thwart cameras.
    I always find it funny how much the public doesn't understand about police work. You'd be a good candidate for a citizen's academy.

I am sure one day you will wish you had a emp in you're car to make a video go away. And alas I have already done my career in LE and I retired about 6+ years ago so no academy is needed here. I worked with a few guys like you over the years, you guys tend to forget whom you work for, the public and you are part of the public. The police / sherrifs dept are not soldiers or marines, you are citizens / public.
    I would love to see the interaction between you and someone you are fishing with tell you NO a few times and watch you're reaction.
    I bet you puff up like a blowfish. Do the public a favor and stop the fishing, leave it to those guys on tv in the Bearing Sea. They are much more enjoyable to watch than peoples civil rights being crushed on Cops TV every night.

Top Bottom