• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will you be participating in the "Special Antlerless Season"?

• Total voters

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Still have buck tag left on bundle the deer bundle.

My two deer so far have from from the family farm in Martin Co, so I might venture into HNF in Lawrence/Monroe county's during this special season to put another in the freezer if my son or I don't get one this weekend.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Normally, I'd say ... heck no. Freezer is full (buck for me, and a deer each for my daughters). Honestly, I have had my fill of Indiana's "war on does".

But I will probably go out for a nice doe. My church made a request for additional deer meat this year for some special projects. I normally donate 50+ pounds to them, but they might need more they feel this year.

On top of that, I just took delivery of a 450 Bushmaster upper and I am dying to see it flat lay out a deer.:ar15:

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Not me.I agree that way to many deer are being killed.I believe the DNR(desperatly needs restructured ?),under pressure from insurance companies,is trying to destroy our deer herd,and doing it with the blessing of hunters under the guise of "doing their part".I live in Ripley County and honestly don't think we have 10% of the deer we had 10-12 years ago.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I've had illness/weather keeping me out of the woods this year, only managed one doe so far. I'll definitely be in the woods unless I can get another one or two before.

Rattler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Indpls
    Absolutely not, no doe's will be killed on any of our farms. Most of the neighbors on the same page will not even be going near the woods hopefully they will all stay in the bottoms or in the standing corn that was left.

Agree with sportsman. We own/have access to several properties in 3 different counties and I would say without a doubt that #'s are way down over the last 2-3 years on every single one of the properties. EHD and overharvest of does (on adjacent lands ) for sure. We haven't taken a doe off any of the farms now for the last 2 years so hopefully that will help.

I realize you cant generalize about every part of the state but hate to see people complain about lack of deer sightings and then they're the first ones that harvest 3-4 does each..........

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On the little suburban thicket we hunted, saw more big does this year than last 5 years. More deer overall (not just the same groups)..............but oddly bucks way down (in fact we haven't seen any, but the guys right next door have, and lost at least one, put enough pressure to spook any others).

Just the way it goes.

Other smaller place I can hunt, never been really good. They saw more deer in gun than ever before. Bow was spotty, as usual.

Up north on bigger BFE ground, does and bucks both are like dinosaurs.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I stopped counting does last night in Brown County at 22 and that was just what I saw while leaving my hunting area. Of course all the deer I saw were as I was LEAVING my hunting area.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I stopped counting does last night in Brown County at 22 and that was just what I saw while leaving my hunting area. Of course all the deer I saw were as I was LEAVING my hunting area.

That seems to be my luck. Not see much/nothing all day and then see all the eyes shining on the drive home.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    We are over-ran with does. The herd needs thinned out some. I will be taking one or two more hopefully. I found a new recipe for deer to supplement my jerky intake. Between my daughter, myself and wife we have been on a pretty healthy deer diet!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I hope to be in the stand in the morning, despite the rain. Some of my areas seem like the deer numbers are down, others seem fine. Will hunt the areas I haven't been in as much this year. 2 does in archery thus far, still holding out hope for antlers this weekend

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I voted "maybe" in the poll when the thread was first started but after thinking about it for a couple days I don't think I'll go out anymore this year. Maybe do some yote hunting over Christmas break. Need to thin them out more than the deer anyway.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Be sure your county is a 4 and up....

13INHD-eRegs-Bonus-Ant_opt.jpeg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Counties having numbers associated with them, cartridge specs............what a crazy system! ;)

Hey Willie, how long has IDNR had such a map? IIRC it's been a long while.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Counties having numbers associated with them, cartridge specs............what a crazy system! ;)

Hey Willie, how long has IDNR had such a map? IIRC it's been a long while.

The county bonus map has been around probably since they started having specific bonus permits. Since this is only the second year of the "special antlerless season" this particular shaded map indicating what counties that can be hunted during this "special antlerless season" is in it's second year.

I'll bet there will be some folks busted thinking their county is OK or the "special antlerless season" is statewide...anyone want to cover that bet? ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Oh I also expect there to be some "oops" in that regard.

Standard fine ought to be punishment enough :)

Don't even need the map shaded IMHO, the rules say "over 4".

It's non sanskrit in them odd shaped boxes yo.

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I'm not hunting the special antlerless season, and still haven't figured out a reason why the DNR even created it, unless it is so that kids on Christmas vacation can have something productive to do. We already have 32 days of hunting with some sort of firearm, and they act like that isn't enough. I saw way more bucks than does this year, so I didn't even bother going out in muzzleloader season either since my buck tag was filled in early archery. I took a doe with my bow, and one with my muzzleloader in firearms season (on a different farm), and I heard that a guy got permission to hunt one of my spots and killed a doe and lost another one, so I figure I'd better leave any remaining does alone.

Top Bottom