• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    It is very much a strawman to equate gay marriage with pedophilia or bestiality. What's your LOGICAL link? Who's even arguing to lower the age of consent? No one that's taken seriously. States that have gay marriage...has there then been a push for pedophile marriage? Of course not. There is no "progression". It's a standalone issue.

Gay marriage wasn't what caused those shopkeepers harm. Their discriminatory business practices did. If they should have the right to discriminate or not is a separate issue and one that's been discussed in other threads. You can argue for the freedom to discriminate for the shopkeepers and/or the freedom for gays to marry without being locked into a position on the other. Separate issues.

In 1986 did they stop with gun control after the machine gun ban? No, they moved on to continue with more silly laws. Do you honestly think if gay marriage gets passed they will pack up and call it a day? They will move on to the next battle in marriage equallity. I did not say there was a logical link. I said you need to take the logic progression. I gave examples of how it has already started. It won't happen tomorrow, but just as gay marriage it will be what people become accustomed to.
    As a police officer you see the decline in moral values everyday. Whether you want to see it or not this is all linked.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No J what's lacking is your knowledge of me. So make your goofy assumptions all you want. I don't care. SCOTUS is tainted and it won't surprise me one iota to see them rule in favor of a same sex marriage. Not in the least. Our government has been infiltrated by goof balls for decades now....we're just beginning to reap what the Godless hippies sowed. For thousands of years marriage has been one man, one woman. Why change it now.

Your bible and history say you're wrong about the one man one woman thing, but we won't let that get in the way of your rant.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Probably bordering on the "no religion" topic here. Let's try not to get this SCOTUS thread locked before the SCOTUS decision is made.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Your bible and history say you're wrong about the one man one woman thing, but we won't let that get in the way of your rant.

There is a definite pattern of polygamy, as has been common in that area of the world for millennia. However, it isn't condoned anywhere in the Bible.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    It is very unfortunate that the people who were advocating same sex marriage when it first gained steam weren't able to come up with a catchy name that didn't involve marriage. Because really, that is the whole issue. It gets messy when you use the word marriage, as it was first defined in religious terms, before the government involved. So naturally, same sex marriage is a huge no-no to many of the religions practiced.

Almost all gun owners I know are pro freedom. And, almost all gun owners I know will agree taht freedom needs to be had for everyone, even if they find that particular freedom unpalatable. I firmly believe that if two people wnat to make a comitment to themselves to be together, then more power to them. While this issue certainly isn't on the same level as race or sex, I can certainly understand where same sex couples are coming from in their arguments for equality.

I know one thing for sure, I am certainly glad I'M not one of the people that has to deal with sorting these laws out! I cannot immagine the amount of crazy they have to deal with form both sides!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Please quote the scriptures that say that.

Many of the old patriarchs of the bible had more than one wife at a time. Solomon comes to mind as the worst offender. Polygamy was the norm for them.
    Exodus 21:10
    2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3
    1 Kings 11:3
    2 Chronicles 11:21
    Deuteronomy 21:15

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In 1986 did they stop with gun control after the machine gun ban? No, they moved on to continue with more silly laws. Do you honestly think if gay marriage gets passed they will pack up and call it a day? They will move on to the next battle in marriage equallity. I did not say there was a logical link. I said you need to take the logic progression. I gave examples of how it has already started. It won't happen tomorrow, but just as gay marriage it will be what people become accustomed to.
    As a police officer you see the decline in moral values everyday. Whether you want to see it or not this is all linked.

I repeat: States that have gay marriage...has there then been a push for pedophile marriage?

I see changes in moral values. Some are better, some are worse. But just so I'm clear, are you saying that gay marriage is linked to crime in some way? That this overarching decline in moral values leads to criminals?

I'm curious, when was the apex of moral values? If we're in decline, obviously there was a high point in our history from which we've fallen. When was it?

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Many of the old patriarchs of the bible had more than one wife at a time. Solomon comes to mind as the worst offender. Polygamy was the norm for them.
    Exodus 21:10
    2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3
    1 Kings 11:3
    2 Chronicles 11:21
    Deuteronomy 21:15

Guess I should have read more posts in this thread, thought it was about gay marriage.

Have any New Testament stuff on Polygamy? BTW, why would anyone want more than 1 wife? I love mine, but couldn't afford or tolerate 2 of them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BTW, why would anyone want more than 1 wife? I love mine, but couldn't afford or tolerate 2 of them.

Historically, cultures that have embraced polygamy have had an imbalance between the sexes or have had great economic divides between the "haves" and "have nots".

Say you are a nomadic culture in a harsh environment with limited resources and frequent wars with neighboring tribes. You'll lose men in fighting, hunting, foraging, etc. You will not have an even distribution of men to women, and people are a resource. If your tribe doesn't breed new fighters, hunters, foragers, etc. then you will be overrun by those who do. You are not going to leave fertile women without a mate and survive. Economic divides are pretty self explanatory as well, the men with the means to raise children do so with a better success rate than those without the resources to do so, which makes them more attractive to mates. Like most "moral issues" its a survival issue at first, once everyone is fed and safe can you start to worry about the morality.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Why are we even discussing polygamy when this topic is CLEARLY about the SCOTUS decision on states rights as it pertains to same sex legal unions?

red-herring.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Guess I should have read more posts in this thread, thought it was about gay marriage.

Have any New Testament stuff on Polygamy? BTW, why would anyone want more than 1 wife? I love mine, but couldn't afford or tolerate 2 of them.

It is. The problem is that most opponents of marriage equality are trying to make an argument that marriage has always been between one man and one woman and attempt to justify it using their deliberately narrow view based on their religion. The facts of the matter are that even in their religion of choice that has not been true. Polygamy was and is fairly common in the Middle East. Just as other forms of marriage are and have been common in other regions and cultures, (but most of these opponents don't look beyond the tips of their nose or limited knowledge on the subject). Their argument just doesn't hold any water in the face of history and reality. As for having more than one wife, I'm with you. Seems like a lot of work.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Why are we even discussing polygamy when this topic is CLEARLY about the SCOTUS decision on states rights as it pertains to same sex legal unions?

Because you made the erroneous argument that marriage has always been between one man and one woman, when history and reality say you're wrong.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom