• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I’ll be interested to see what kind of discussions come up around the movie, “The Road” (released later this month). The film is based on the Pulitzer Prize winning novel by Cormac McCarthy (“No Country for Old Men”). An excerpt from a review by Dennis Lehane (“Mystic River”):

“Cormac McCarthy sets his novel, The Road, in a post-apocalyptic blight of gray skies that drizzle ash, a world in which all matter of wildlife is extinct, starvation is not only prevalent but nearly all-encompassing…. McCarthy may have just set to paper the definitive vision of the world after nuclear war, and in this recent age of relentless saber-rattling by the global powers, it's not much of a leap to feel his vision could be not far off the mark nor, sadly, right around the corner. Stealing across this horrific (and that's the only word for it) landscape are an unnamed man and his emaciated son, a boy probably around the age of ten.

In The Road, the batteries are almost out--the entire world is, quite literally, dying--so the final affirmation of hope in the novel's closing pages is all the more shocking and maybe all the more enduring as the boy takes all of his father's (and McCarthy's) rage at the hopeless folly of man and lays it down, lifting up, in its place, the oddest of all things: faith.”

I’m sure the film version will necessarily be Hollywood-heavy on the action, but the novel itself is a really great read (excerpts at [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307387895/ref=s9_k2a_gw_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1S1MF1H16KH8QFSR8NPF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon[/ame]).

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I will be seeing the movie when it comes out. I enjoyed the book even with its bleak and dark theme.

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I read this book last week.................I can't remember the last time I read a book that I couldn't put down! it was an excellent read for sure. I really look forward to seeing the movie.

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    The Road book was so very bleak. I actually didn't like it. I had just read "One Second After" the week before and I think I've accepted the OSA world, but not The Road's world. Either is possible and of course only those who survive will know....

I am looking forward to the movie though.... we've been very big Viggo Mortensen fans sice the Lord of the Rings trilogy...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I read this book last week.................I can't remember the last time I read a book that I couldn't put down! it was an excellent read for sure. I really look forward to seeing the movie.
    You should try reading unintended consequences. That is worse because it is almost 800 pages long (as opposed to a little less than 100 for "The Road"). I'm reading it right now and have a hard time putting it down, but something has to get done around here, so I have to set time limits for myself to read.

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I just finished reading this one yeaterday and really loved it. The week before I read One Second After, I really liked them both. They present different scenarios and each plot holds true to the authors disaster.

I must say, I'm a little scared with the long delay on the movie. It usually is a bad sign when the film is finished and they're continually pushing it back.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Some thoughts, having seen "The Road"

After waiting a month for this film to finally hit screens in central Indiana, I'll offer these thoughts:

I’d say this is a film about survival, but it’s not a survivalist movie. At its heart, “The Road” is about a father’s love for his son.

The father’s mission was to keep his son alive. He sees his son, and any child by extension, as the future of humankind… if humans would have any future.

There is a recurrent theme of the boy “carrying the fire.” McCarthy wrote it: “He knew only that the child was his warrant. He said: If he is not the word of God God never spoke.”

The boy’s mission was to keep his father connected to his humanity. It was the boy who implored his father to share some food with the 90-year-old Eli (played cataract-eyed by Robert Duvall).

It was the boy who pleaded with his father not to kill the thief, or even to leave the thief naked and shivering on the side of the road. (If you watched “The Wire” on HBO, you’ll recognize the thief as “Omar.”) McCarthy wrote it:
    Papa? the boy said.
    Be quiet.
    He kept his eyes on the thief. ******* you, he said.
    Papa please don’t kill the man.
    The thief’s eyes swung wildly. The boy was crying.
    Come on, man. I done what you said. Listen to the boy.
    Take your clothes off.
    What?
    Take them off. Every goddamned stitch.​

In depicting a devastated forest landscape, some filming took place at Mount Saint Helens National Volcanic Monument.

In showing the value of things in this world, the camera follows the father’s footsteps, kicking through the dust and ash on the floor of an abandoned house, and stepping over and past an overturned box, from which spilled a small pile of worthless paper money and jewelry.

When the father chastises his son with “You’re not one who has to worry about things,” the son, all of 10 years old, retorts “I AM! I AM the one who has to worry.” And the father realizes that this is true.

While the film grabbed my heart, I’ll add that the book does what a film cannot. Like this (McCarthy's words):

Do you think that your fathers are watching? That they weigh you in their ledgerbook? Against what? There is no book and your fathers are dead in the ground.

Highly recommended, people. :yesway:

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I read that book a while back. It could have been written by an 8th grader. The story needed a lot more to it, i hope the movie adds a ton of extra story that was never in the book. Hope it never comes to what the authors sad bit of writing depicts.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    What a let down

Drove from the far westside last night with a couple of friends up to theater at Keystone at the Crossing , the only place in town playing The Road . We were going to catch the 10:00 show and the projector broke and ended up not getting to see the show. I'm tell'in you it must be a goverment conspiracy .

IndianaCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Indy-Southside
    I read this book a couple of weeks ago. This was the first book I read by Cormac McCarthy and it took me a little bit to get used to his style of writing. I must say that I enjoyed the book, but it did paint a very dismal future if something like this would ever happen. I picked up another McCarthy book called Blood Meridian and I'm finding it to be just as enjoyable. He also wrote No Country for Old Men and that movie turned out pretty cool.

Top Bottom