• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Picked this up today, 1901 Colt Army. Issues with the stopping power of the 1901's 38 LC cartridge in the Philippines lead to the development of the 1911 in 45 ACP.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Colt has another idea before the 1911, the 1909 Colt New Service in 45 Colt. Certainly big enough to get the job done, a little late for the Philippines.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe they should get back to making quality pieces again and they wouldn't be going bankrupt.

Now get to work on finding me a 90%+ SandW M66 prelock

I agree completely. Colt is operating much like our government. First comes the startup, then success, then hubris, and then hitting a steep decline while forgetting how they/we got where they/we were at the pinnacle and are now.

As for the 66 no lock, I would help you, but I only bought one of them back when.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A little quick math on the .38 Long Colt:

The .38 Long Colt used a 150 grain lead bullet of .357 diameter, a departure from the Short Colt's .375 heel based bullet, at approximately 770 feet per second. That bullet works out to 0.100 square inch of surface area measured by bore cross-section which is relevant with a basically non-expanding bullet. By contrast, the .45 ACP featured a 230 grain bullet (that's 80 grains heavier, about as much as an entire .380 bullet to put it in perspective) moving at 860 feet per second with a cross-section of 0.159 square inch. That said, we have about 60% more hole from yet another non-expanding bullet. The added weight is also going to help generate effect when striking bone. The added velocity also helps significantly. By modern standards, it is easy to dismiss claims made at the time regarding the .45 ACP especially by troops who used it in its early incarnations, but compared with what it replaced, I can understand how it would have seemed to have been a miracle weapon.

I will grant you that, as with more contemporary 'stopping power' arguments, none of this can be translated into a clear pattern aside from anectodal evidence of putting more dead bodies on the ground per shot fired, but it still demonstrated that there is a much larger technical difference between the two than one might think at a cursory glance.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    To get the revolver shooting again, I slugged the barrel and ran pin gauges through the cylinder. Bore is .370, cylinder is .381, I'm going to try modifying a Lee two hole to make bullets for it.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    That's a very fine piece Leadeye, congrats and thanks for the pics. It's always enjoyable to see a gun with history. There used to be an old gent that attended the gun shows in my area that had a collection of I suppose pretty much every variant of the M-1892 and it's variants. He would display these with period accoutrements, artwork and other memorabilia and enjoyed talking history. Seems like he might have had a Krag or two and maybe even an 1897 shotgun that he'd show sometimes as well. Those Colt's were his pride and joy tho'.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Colt has another idea before the 1911, the 1909 Colt New Service in 45 Colt. Certainly big enough to get the job done, a little late for the Philippines.

A bit late for most of the fighting but it likely saw at least some action, supposedly even the M-1911 got in a few rounds fired . The painting below is an artist's impression of the fighting at the Battle of Bud Bagsak , June ,1913.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom