chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'll raise your LOL with actual history: Grover Cleveland. :D

Even so, you have to go back a long way to find a major-party nominee without any experience running for office at all.

Perhaps all the way back to Andrew Jackson.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Upon reflection, here's the guilt-free reason I may choose not to vote for Trump: HRC won't win Indiana regardless. Heck, Sanders has a better chance at winning Indiana, apparently.

For those who fancy sending fellow Republicans on a guilt-trip to Hillaryville, this is a polite reminder of how the electoral college works. I have no clue how a national Trump v. Clinton campaign will end, but in Indiana, I don't see any path to blue state status in 2016.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Upon reflection, here's the guilt-free reason I may choose not to vote for Trump: HRC won't win Indiana regardless. Heck, Sanders has a better chance at winning Indiana, apparently.

For those who fancy sending fellow Republicans on a guilt-trip to Hillaryville, this is a polite reminder of how the electoral college works. I have no clue how a national Trump v. Clinton campaign will end, but in Indiana, I don't see any path to blue state status in 2016.

"You're wrong for picking a loser!"
    "Yeah, well, now you're wrong for not supporting the loser we picked!"

There's no way around it anymore. What happens, happens now. Indiana's done. I'm going to go play video games and buy ammo.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My friend, they already did.

But this belies, IMHO, 2 different issues:
    - An overestimation of SCOTUS ability to influence things. It is not a blank slate. I see less risk in another Ginsburg than I do in Donald Trump.
    - If 2A nominees to SCOTUS were that important to Republican voters, Trump would not have the nomination. Seriously, was there someone in the race who would be a straight up lock on nominating pro-2A judges? Gun owners are part of the Trump harem, but it is a marriage of convenience for him. Our sister wives that are more closely aligned with his personal wealth are his favorites.

I'm not worried about ideology. Ideology, the players all know how to deal with. Trump doesn't have a cohesive ideology. He has a cult of personality. That trumps (pardon the pun) ideology more often than not.

I don't fault you for your assessment. I just can't join it at this point.

Fair enough.

One thing. Trump voters already believe Trump will nominate a conservative justice. They've fiercely defended that. They've fiercely asserted that Trump is the most 2A supportive person in the race. So you can't use Trump's victory as evidence they don't care about 2A.

Also, I don't think I'm overestimating the importance of the SCOTUS. The influence of the SCOTUS on law is much higher than it should be. They are every bit a political body. They are too important such that elections too often become about who gets to pick the justices. The only checks and balances the SCOTUS has is essentially the process that appoints them--which IS political! When we see decision after decision split along party lines, that tells me there's too little objectivity, and too much ideology that goes into SCOTUS decisions.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can see both sides - I blame Mourdock voters for Evan Bayh being in DC today. However, #NeverTrump folks that don't buck up and move forward are going to be blame if Hillary wins.

Of course, CountryBoy, maybe you're fine with Hillary being our first female president. :dunno: She'll push the entirely wrong agenda, but at least she knows something about public policy.

Trump - at least the late night shows will have tons of fodder to work with.

Evan Bayh is in DC today? What, is he a lobbyist or something now? :dunno:

No. I am not. :)

Obama is not a populist. Never was. Obama has/had a cult of personality, but it pales in comparison to Trump's.

Neither the electorate nor the elected have ever seen a president like Trump in America.

I'll walk that back a bit. Minnesota. Minnesota has the closest parallel I can think of - Jesse Ventura.

Truth. Trump is exactly like a scaled up version of Jesse Ventura, and, arguably, "Da Turminatah"

Perhaps all the way back to Andrew Jackson.

I'd say Grant is a more recent example.

Damnit you beat me by a minute.

At any rate GP seems to be getting scooped a lot here lately.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    eady believe Trump will nominate a conservative justice. They've fiercely defended that. They've fiercely asserted that Trump is the most 2A supportive person in the race. So you can't use Trump's victory as evidence they don't care about 2A.
    C'mon, man - you know I'm not NEARLY that absolutist. :D

I do think it is nigh impossible to say that Trump was the unqualified most pro-2A candidate on the ballot. His pro-2A supporters voted for him for non-2A reasons, but because his 2A position(s) were acceptable. He netted out better than other candidates overall, but I think it a stretch to say he was the best 2A candidate.

Also, I don't think I'm overestimating the importance of the SCOTUS. The influence of the SCOTUS on law is much higher than it should be. They are every bit a political body. They are too important such that elections too often become about who gets to pick the justices. The only checks and balances the SCOTUS has is essentially the process that appoints them--which IS political! When we see decision after decision split along party lines, that tells me there's too little objectivity, and too much ideology that goes into SCOTUS decisions.
    We'll agree to disagree on this. Come to think of it, I think we reached this same impasse before. :D

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    At any rate GP seems to be getting scooped a lot here lately.

pshaw

busy day. lot of people that are usually out of the office are here, so of course they pile on the laptops with "oh by the way I've got problems"

that, and my interest in the 2016 race is all but gone. It's Trump v Clinton. Nothing I can do to change that

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    pshaw

busy day. lot of people that are usually out of the office are here, so of course they pile on the laptops with "oh by the way I've got problems"

that, and my interest in the 2016 race is all but gone. It's Trump v Clinton. Nothing I can do to change that

Your fast news updates are always appreciated. :yesway:

Next topic; The Donald's VP pick?
    I'm voting for Mia Love...
    MiaLove_16-240x300.png

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Next topic; The Donald's VP pick?
    I'm voting for Mia Love...

First, I am a fan of Mia Love as a Republican and a politician.

Second, though, a black, Mormon, female VP with less experience than Obama had? Yep, it is official. Absolutely nothing would surprise me in this cycle.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom