• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm wondering how long before the government simply outlaws the IC engine and forces electric cars on the public. The investment in the big green mistake is getting so big that it's failure will be unpleasant for leadership.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm wondering how long before the government simply outlaws the IC engine and forces electric cars on the public. The investment in the big green mistake is getting so big that it's failure will be unpleasant for leadership.
    Hasn’t places like CA already done that? (Effectively, anyway by 2030 or so?)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't know a single vehicle that can determine that you are driving while impaired and take over control on its own. We're not talking about OnStar here.
    One thing I love about INGO is it gets me to go do a lot of research.

That's not exactly what the law says, but I also did not see the actual law until now.

That is going to add a lot of cost to a car, if they can figure out some way to actually do it. Ideas in articles I read aren't going to work. Monitoring the air the cabin for alcohol for instance. A designated driver with a car full of drunks wouldn't be going anywhere.

For others that have not seen the actual law
    1699632668695.png
    1699632685787.png

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...p&cvid=9b7101a0216543d8a779726869109943&ei=99 -'Overcharged': Major Study Shows True Cost of Owning an EV, 'Fueling' Equal to $17.33 Per Gallon
    Would be helpful to see more studies on true costs, even on ICE vehicles also. Too much GOV involvement in both, JM2C.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...p&cvid=9b7101a0216543d8a779726869109943&ei=99 -'Overcharged': Major Study Shows True Cost of Owning an EV, 'Fueling' Equal to $17.33 Per Gallon
    Would be helpful to see more studies on true costs, even on ICE vehicles also. Too much GOV involvement in both, JM2C.
    "The “EV transition” is just government cronyism backed up by the usual combination of state subsidies, taxpayer-backed loans, well-designed propaganda, and regulatory edicts. Policymakers would be wise to distance themselves from this project."

Hear that, republicans?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    if they can figure out some way to actually do it.

Here's an idea. Get two group of volunteers, one sober and one drunk. Have them drive cars that have special monitors and record all the parameters. And then feed that data to chatGPT and have it figure it out. Isn't that how we problem solve now? :):

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Can't they put them underground?
    It's much more expensive to bury and makes maintenance/repairs more difficult & costly too.

In open air, high voltage can bridge an air gap at about 10Kv per inch of air, so no insulation needed. In soil (much less wet soil) a fault in insulation can be a near dead short.

wires hanging above aren’t ready for life underground without some modifications, the most important of which is insulation. Electricity wires are, by their nature, very warm, as they’re channeling currents to and fro. In the open air, this heat can dissipate, but deep in the soil it can’t. That’s why utilities wrapped their underground wires in plastic and surround them with a conduit like oil to keep things from overheating.

While that may sound simple—anyone with a backhoe could do it!—it’s not. Depending on the density of the local population and the terrain, undergrounding can cost billions of dollars.
    That’s not the only cost, either. Repairing underground systems is often more expensive than repairing those suspended in the air. “When the power goes out, there are two obstacles that [utility] faces before they can fix the line,” Kury says. “One, identification of the fault, and then two, access to the line.” While smart grid technology is making identification easier—devices could tell the utility exactly where in the system a given disruption lies—access to underground systems is hindered. Repairs often require disruptive digging, which is only made more difficult by frozen soils in a blizzard or floodwaters that often follow hurricane-force winds.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    It's much more expensive to bury and makes maintenance/repairs more difficult & costly too.

In open air, high voltage can bridge an air gap at about 10Kv per inch of air, so no insulation needed. In soil (much less wet soil) a fault in insulation can be a near dead short.

Thanks. We had no overhead wires in the Chicago suburbs, nor do we here in SW Fort Wayne.

Top Bottom