• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So it's only purpose was to cover for the less efficient trucks in their lineup. What is the point?

You guys remember a lot more wagons than I do.
    Just an example of the games the manufacturers have to play to meet regulations. There were a lot of wagons back in the day. Did you watch the video in the other thread?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They did not stop producing cars that sold in large numbers because of CAFE standards.
    They could shift those wagon buyers to minivans and SUV’s that were light trucks and meet the regulations easier. So they did stop producing cars that sold in large volume and had for decades.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just an example of the games the manufacturers have to play to meet regulations. There were a lot of wagons back in the day. Did you watch the video in the other thread?
    CAFE standards should be eliminated. Period. Station wagons would have died anyway. They deserve to die. So do minivans. But. On the subject of minivans, at least Lee Iacocca invented a better station wagon. Not a lot better but better. And not better enough that we should forgive him for the K car.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They could shift those wagon buyers to minivans and SUV’s that were light trucks and meet the regulations easier. So they did stop producing cars that sold in large volume and had for decades.
    That’s not why Lee Iacocca came out with the minivan. The minivan was the station wagon people really wanted. People have very bad taste. Especially in the 80’s.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They couldn't shift anything. People had to WANT to buy them. People bought Minivans over wagons, because they wanted minivans instead of wagons. Wagons didn't just disappear overnight. They were phased out because they weren't purchased. Just as Minivans are starting to be now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They couldn't shift anything. People had to WANT to buy them. People bought Minivans over wagons, because they wanted minivans instead of wagons. Wagons didn't just disappear overnight. They were phased out because they weren't purchased. Just as Minivans are starting to be now.
    Sure they could. Marketing does not work? Shift=stop making the product push the replacement in marketing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's a big carrot:
    I thought maybe that article might be old, because Tesla has been making its network available for over a year. It's not an issue of being "locked". It's a technical. Tesla chargers were designed to charge Teslas, not every other EV make. It's been problematic getting the network to work with other EV's.

I'm not doubting the government is dangling a carrot. But I think what they're paying for is to get Tesla to make their chargers compatible. But either way, government should not subsidize it. I think instead, they need to make standards around the charging system, plug, etcetera, so that every EV can work with every charging charging station. And the best availability of charging stations, by far, is Tesla's. Shortest way to compliance I think is for other makes to adopt Tesla's standards.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    One of the big problems with EV's.
    • fire hazard
    • charge time, which limits use
    • grid impact
    • compatibility of charging stations
    The fleet is still really new but how they handle old age will be interesting to watch. When my Silverado has 200,000 miles on it, it kept running just fine. When that F150 gets up there, wonder what the resale value will be when, to keep it running, the new owner has to spend 10’s of thousands of dollars on a replacement battery.

Top Bottom