• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There is nothing in it, the belief of fanatics harvested to make coin for the few. When I get the arguments about climate change and man's contribution I always ask HOW MUCH? Can't quantify it? Then it's really just a belief, a religion, a cult. Carbon foot prints make as much sense as Bigfoot foot prints.
    Add to that that the random choice of 400 ppm as the goal to stay below is based on extrapolating conditions in the Pliocene (the last time CO2 was above 400 ppm) as if the same environment would result today, ignoring that the Great Plains were in fact a shallow ocean at the time, the continents were configured differently and there was a great deal more vulcanism going on in the world

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    A friend of a friend of a friend posted this on FB and it came across my feed, so I took screen shots of it. I deleted his name since I don't actually know the guy, but wanted to share it because it is a review from a regular guy.
    Sorry, too much to address here. His #1 pro is Netflix and internet radio. “Regular guy” from jersey, hits curbs every day, drives 100, brain explodes when gas light comes on…

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Buried towards the end: even with a 240V charger, recharge time is a day. Yikes.

The failure, which was a bad one, has more to do with GM's inept engineering than anything else.

The charging thing is certainly a problem, but one of physics given the size of the battery (because of the size and weight of the vehicle) and the fact that electricity only flows so fast from 240.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The failure, which was a bad one, has more to do with GM's inept engineering than anything else.

The charging thing is certainly a problem, but one of physics given the size of the battery (because of the size and weight of the vehicle) and the fact that electricity only flows so fast from 240.
    Being on the cutting edge comes at a price. I’m comfortable letting folks like this work out the kinks for people like me.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Heck I knew a guy that bought a s-10 in the late '80s. It died within the first day. Something didn't get plugged in at the factory so it was running off battery power, but the sensors were reading it was charging so no lights on the dash. Crap happens.
    Being on the cutting edge comes at a price. I’m comfortable letting folks like this work out the kinks for people like me.
    Agreed but in the case of the truck above, it definitely wasn't cutting edge. It was a bare bones model, didn't even come with a radio. Manual everything except brakes and steering.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Agreed but in the case of the truck above, it definitely wasn't cutting edge. It was a bare bones model, didn't even come with a radio. Manual everything except brakes and steering.
    I didn’t catch the options list. I was referring to the EV thing, in general. (I’d think at $115K, that was pretty well loaded but maybe not with the prices as they are these days).

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I didn’t catch the options list. I was referring to the EV thing, in general. (I’d think at $115K, that was pretty well loaded but maybe not with the prices as they are these days).
    I didn't catch the options list either, and may have been pretty well loaded. I mentioned the options on the truck because it didn't have any "cutting-edge" tech that was available at the time, automatic climate control, nothing. It was as old school as you could get at the time. If it was me in either case I'd be pissed, and I know my friend was and it sounds like this guy was as well. But with it not happening to me I can understand that sometimes crap happens.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Well, I stayed out of this as long as possible.
    We have two vehicles that might be considered electric:

1. 2017 Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid (couldn't find an Prius plug-in anywhere). Currently getting 57 mpg combination city/highway driving over 8000 miles. Plugs in to a Class 1 charger overnight and gets 20 miles all electric in summer and 13 in winter. We have a solar setup that feeds into our house grid to provide at least most of the power it takes to charge. Plenty of power, great mileage, lots of room, came with full factory warranty since it was a certified used. No problems so far.

2. 1986 Honda Civic Wagon 4WD 5-speed that I converted to all-electric years ago. Currently under repair due to a burned-out charger. Originally designed for 9 12-volt lead acid batteries (that's how long ago I stared this - 1995), now 34 lithium-ion cells (lighter and more power). Power brakes and steering (vacuum pump system). Used to get 20-25 miles per charge, still holds 5 people and luggage. I am NOT any kind of electrical engineer, but we decided to convert this rather than junk it after the main camshaft sprocket tore loose and messed up the valves. It was burning a quart of oil a week before that. I'm sure if I had more training in electrical stuff I would have made a better go of it. Took out the 4WD shaft to save weight. No gas, oil, coolant or any of those systems. Got us around to school, work and the store fine. Hope to have it on the road again soon?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I guess I’ll be keeping my ‘67 Firebird. At 55 years old and I’ve owned it for the last 40, it’s never failed to start or left me stranded (except for a broken ball joint, they do wear out). If it died crossing a railroad all I need to do is put it in gear, turn the key and let the starter move me to a safe spot.

For all the “progress” modern vehicles have made, this sure seems like a backwards step. All these so-called “saftey features” nanny systems won’t even let you crank the motor without the clutch released. What’s wrong with allowing the car to start with the clutch out and in neutral? I’ve been driving it all these decades and never accidentally moved it while starting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess I’ll be keeping my ‘67 Firebird. At 55 years old and I’ve owned it for the last 40, it’s never failed to start or left me stranded (except for a broken ball joint, they do wear out). If it died crossing a railroad all I need to do is put it in gear, turn the key and let the starter move me to a safe spot.

For all the “progress” modern vehicles have made, this sure seems like a backwards step. All these so-called “saftey features” nanny systems won’t even let you crank the motor without the clutch released. What’s wrong with allowing the car to start with the clutch out and in neutral? I’ve been driving it all these decades and never accidentally moved it while starting.
    Was that yours at CM's memorial?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Just a suggestion..
    You can delete everything after the fully-charge/
    starting with the question mark, everything to the right.

basically, the ?utm_source=facebook... is unnecessary data, telling us you got there from a link from facebook.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Top Bottom