• ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have had something on my mind for about a year. Its a design for a surpressor. does anyone know if i can make my own surpressor, or wil i go to jail? Do i buy a tax stamp for it? if so how? and yes i know i misspelled surpressor. its late and i am tired. i guess what i am asking, if i design something, and make it myself, how is it illegal? John Browning, Samuel Colt, Ugene Stoner, Mikhail Kalashnikov, Fn herstal, Ingram, on and on, what magical powers did they have that let them produce weapons and not land in jail. I think some of the world best inventions started in the head of an everyday person, put together in his workshop by his own two hands. Damn this country was founded on this belief. sorry for the rant, but the i would like to know the answer. Can i build a surpressor?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Pretty sure there was an almost identical thread posted on this earlier today. Odd for that question to come twice in one day. :n00b:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...encer_in_indiana_and_you_will_go_to_jail.html

[STRIKE]
    I think the way the current laws are written, you have to have a license to actually manufacture a Class III regulated item. So, if you do not have a license to manufacture, then making one is therefor illegal.
    [/STRIKE]

ETA: I was apparantly incorrect in my understanding, so have crossed out my original info that may have been incorrect. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Oh crap! This last post is dead wrong. It is perfectly legal to build your own suppressor if you have an approved Form 1 in hand before you start. It's the same as building an SBR. You assign your own serial # and put down a caliber and overall length you plan to make the can. Once the form comes back approved, you can construct your can. You may not make any extra parts though. If you decide to change the baffle design, you have to destroy the old ones first.

Sorry for the wrong info previously conveyed. Check out some other suppressor forums, you will find lots of DIY info and ideas there.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    thank you, i had no idea someone else asked this question. but now i am really pissed off. a thought that keeps running through my head, if something is illegal, you pay some money to someone to make it legal, then it is not a tax, it is a Bribe. just a thought.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I am not sure if that will help. What if my first design of baffles does not work, or needs modifing, or i make a whole bunch of different baffles just to see which one works best. The problem i have is when henry ford built the first assembly line the government was not allowed to step in and make any rules on how it worked or if he had spare parts, or if he built more than one. thats inventing and modifing. your thoughts?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I am not sure if that will help. What if my first design of baffles does not work, or needs modifing, or i make a whole bunch of different baffles just to see which one works best. The problem i have is when henry ford built the first assembly line the government was not allowed to step in and make any rules on how it worked or if he had spare parts, or if he built more than one. thats inventing and modifing. your thoughts?

Some of the reasons to buy one that's been professionally designed, manufactured, rigorously tested, and with a manufacturer who will replace broken and damaged parts as/when necessary. (full disclosure: I own Huntertown Arms, a suppressor manufacturer).

While you can do it, ask yourself if you should. Do you have a commanding nowledge of fluid dynamics and materials? Do you have engineering and machining skills? If the answer is no you would be better served to buy, not build, a suppressor.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    While you can do it, ask yourself if you should. Do you have a commanding nowledge of fluid dynamics and materials? Do you have engineering and machining skills? If the answer is no you would be better served to buy, not build, a suppressor.

While that's true, it's awfully damn cool to say you made your own.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I truly appreciate your advice, and i will think hard on it. I will have to say i would have less problems buying a suppressor if they were not so exspensive. a 1200 dollar can on the end of my 400 dollar gun seems dumb.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Oh crap! This last post is dead wrong. It is perfectly legal to build your own suppressor if you have an approved Form 1 in hand before you start. It's the same as building an SBR. You assign your own serial # and put down a caliber and overall length you plan to make the can. Once the form comes back approved, you can construct your can. You may not make any extra parts though. If you decide to change the baffle design, you have to destroy the old ones first.

Sorry for the wrong info previously conveyed. Check out some other suppressor forums, you will find lots of DIY info and ideas there.

Thanks for correcting me...I'll edit my post so as to make sure I don't mislead anyone else. :ingo:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    While that's true, it's awfully damn cool to say you made your own.

I TOTALLY agree! I have the best job in the world. But I also have millions of dollars of equipment and great engineers at my disposal.

I truly appreciate your advice, and i will think hard on it. I will have to say i would have less problems buying a suppressor if they were not so exspensive. a 1200 dollar can on the end of my 400 dollar gun seems dumb.

If you are paying $1200 for a suppressor then IMHO you're buying the wrong suppressor.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    wont lie saw your video on cheap ar surpressor, and was real impressed. I do not want to try to build one for an ar or ak or a rifle of any kind, but i would be nice to tinker around with something just to say i can. i am not looking to start a buiness or make thousands of cans. just had an idea for one, that probly would not work any way. but paying for parts and my time to do it, then i have to pay big brother so i can build something in my workshop, does not seem fair. what do you charge for a .45 can?

Top Bottom