• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    What about all the hispanic kids who don't WANT to say it in english every morning?

But it's our diversity that makes america what it is.

Maybe pops could teach him that it's the fact that it's being said and not what language its in that makes it meaningful?

To this ^ , I'd say if they wanted to integrate into society and actually become Americans maybe they should learn the language . This would make their existence here more easily acceptable .

Instead of taking over sections in town putting up all the signs in spanish , maybe they should learn our customs , traditions and business practices .

Maybe , they should do some research and find out what a competitive price for their labor is instead of accepting a ridiculously low rate and destroying the field their working in .

I for one am sick of what they want ! If that makes me a racist then thats a banner I shall wear with pride .

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    To this ^ , I'd say if they wanted to integrate into society and actually become Americans maybe they should learn the language . This would make their existence here more easily acceptable .

Instead of taking over sections in town putting up all the signs in spanish , maybe they should learn our customs , traditions and business practices .

Maybe , they should do some research and find out what a competitive price for their labor is instead of accepting a ridiculously low rate and destroying the field their working in .

I for one am sick of what they want ! If that makes me a racist then thats a banner I shall wear with pride .

Theodore Roosevelt said:
    "In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American.
    If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American."We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, and American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; and we have room for but one soul [sic] loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people."

Seems pretty clear to me.

Blessings,
    Bill

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Why is it against your sons beliefs? Those are some pretty "intense" beliefs for a 14 yr old.

This was already explained in previous posts...my second or third one in the thread, I believe.

If he came home and said he wanted to burn the flag because those were his beliefs I would guess you wouldn't support that regardless of how strongly he felt it should be done.
    You're correct, I wouldn't support that. But given his upbringing, I don't see that being an issue. If it were, I'd have to believe that I had failed in pretty much everything that I've tried to do to raise him right.

I would say it's hard for you to side with the teacher because at least part of you agrees with you're son

Again, I already pretty much stated this in my earlier posts. Did you read them? Of course I agree with him....I've raised him as what I see as a good young man and a patriotic American. However, that was pretty much the point of my initial post, to see if what I was feeling was an over-reaction.

But it's our diversity that makes america what it is (i know bring on the smart-a$$ remarks about the economy crime rates whatever)

That's America, please notice the capitalization. I'm not pointing that out to correct your sentence structure...I'm pointing it out because this IS America. Does diversity mean that each race and/or ethnic origin should pay no attention to such things so closely tied to the citizens of the United States us as the Pledge of Allegiance? I mean, they either have already become citizens, or are working on it, right? So shouldn't these fundamentals be a part of that?

We can't tell you how to raise your son, but most kids learn their core values at home...what did JR. Learn from you?

Again, I've already explained in previous posts early on in the thread, but since you apparently haven't bothered to read them all: he's gotten it from his strong involvement in Scouts, his exposure to like minded individuals in Scouts, and his family, which included parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins.

What did he learn from me? Well, let's see...

• He's learned to be a good, patriotic Citizen that actively takes part in his community.
    • He's learned about his religion, and he believes in God..
    • He's learned the value of hard work and commitment, and is a straight A student taking advanced classes as well as devoting several hours a week to his Scouting projects.
    • He's said since as far back as I can remember that he want's to be a doctor, and the last few years he's narrowed that down to cardiac surgeon.
    • He loves and respects the outdoors. He loves hunting, fishing, camping, and shooting.
    • He talks openly to his mother and myself about things that bother him.
    Where, oh where, did I go so wrong?

Maybe pops could teach him that it's the fact that it's being said and not what language its in that makes it meaningful?

You're right...I could. However, again, the reason I originally came here with this was to seek some advice and see if my feelings on it were an over-reaction.

What have I learned? I've calmed down alot from my initial post. He and I have had the discussion that it's being said in a different language but it's still the same words. We've also had the discussion that it's his decision on how he want's to handle it. He knows (from those discussions) that if he feels like he's in over his head he can come to me and I'll step in. He also has my commitment that I won't become involved if he doesn't ask me to. If he's commited to saying the Pledge of Allegiance in English (and he probably says it more often than most people here I might add), I don't think I've done so bad in the big scheme of things...

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    This was already explained in previous posts...my second or third one in the thread, I believe.

You're correct, I wouldn't support that. But given his upbringing, I don't see that being an issue. If it were, I'd have to believe that I had failed in pretty much everything that I've tried to do to raise him right.

Again, I already pretty much stated this in my earlier posts. Did you read them? Of course I agree with him....I've raised him as what I see as a good young man and a patriotic American. However, that was pretty much the point of my initial post, to see if what I was feeling was an over-reaction.

That's America, please notice the capitalization. I'm not pointing that out to correct your sentence structure...I'm pointing it out because this IS America. Does diversity mean that each race and/or ethnic origin should pay no attention to such things so closely tied to the citizens of the United States us as the Pledge of Allegiance? I mean, they either have already become citizens, or are working on it, right? So shouldn't these fundamentals be a part of that?

Again, I've already explained in previous posts early on in the thread, but since you apparently haven't bothered to read them all: he's gotten it from his strong involvement in Scouts, his exposure to like minded individuals in Scouts, and his family, which included parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins.

What did he learn from me? Well, let's see...

• He's learned to be a good, patriotic Citizen that actively takes part in his community.
    • He's learned about his religion, and he believes in God..
    • He's learned the value of hard work and commitment, and is a straight A student taking advanced classes as well as devoting several hours a week to his Scouting projects.
    • He's said since as far back as I can remember that he want's to be a doctor, and the last few years he's narrowed that down to cardiac surgeon.
    • He loves and respects the outdoors. He loves hunting, fishing, camping, and shooting.
    • He talks openly to his mother and myself about things that bother him.
    Where, oh where, did I go so wrong?

You're right...I could. However, again, the reason I originally came here with this was to seek some advice and see if my feelings on it were an over-reaction.

What have I learned? I've calmed down alot from my initial post. He and I have had the discussion that it's being said in a different language but it's still the same words. We've also had the discussion that it's his decision on how he want's to handle it. He knows (from those discussions) that if he feels like he's in over his head he can come to me and I'll step in. He also has my commitment that I won't become involved if he doesn't ask me to. If he's commited to saying the Pledge of Allegiance in English (and he probably says it more often than most people here I might add), I don't think I've done so bad in the big scheme of things...

I read your previous posts and was not trying to attack or come at you in anyway, just posing questions for the sake of discussion and thinking. I read the whole thread and those were just some of the things still lingering in my head when I was done so I threw them out (somebody has got to stir the pot occasion.) I think this is a legit and interesting topic and is a great experience for your son, he's able to learn to stand up for what he believes and to defend his position on his own, +1 for letting him decide when you get involved, and being involved enough with him to be able to have these kinds of discussions. I'm not saying you went wrong in his upbringing either. It sounds almost identical to mine and I like to think I turned out more than ok, but the jury is still out on that one I guess...

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Thank you AirbornePFC :) I've had many many questions in my head over this the past couple of weeks, and it helps to lay them out here and get input from others.

I'm definitely proud of him for how he's dealt with this, and the maturity he's used in making the decisions.

He's gonna have a fit when he hears about the Chinese flag being flown at the Capitol later this month....

Everyone stand by for issue #2!

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    If Old Pres. Roosevelt wanted one language he should have passed it through while he was in office.:dunno: SO should the other that followed him.

In other countries they ask there students to speak English and recite the words of the country they live in. Its for practice and respect to where they live.

It would not be an issue, as I am and plan on teaching both English/Spanish to my son while he grows. He deserves the Right to learn and grow as he sees fit when he is older I am just giving him the tools to do so later on.

P.S. not judging you just my thoughts. I'm happy that people believe in different things and ways to approach them.

Top Bottom