• 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I apologize.

I appreciate the gift of the Statue of Liberty from France.

I despise the poem that Denocrats mistake for a founding document.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I apologize.

The Spirit of Liberty, her light shining out to the continents from her gilded crown; holding the lighted torch to lead them to enlightenment and liberty. Not what some social justice warrior from another century tacked to her robes.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I didn't know Lady Liberty would generate so many comments. I have more pics.

From a trip to New York in September of 2017.

XIBGHNy.jpg

fkRpHvZ.jpg

KOSerAt.jpg

cY9u1NA.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Did you get to visit inside?

I know it had been closed for years (decades?) and recently re-opened.
    It's probably closed again now with the COVID 19.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I apologize.

It was a gift from the French people to the American people, not a gift to one nation to another.
    That what makes it even more special.

It was partially displayed in Paris to raise money during the construction since the French government didn't pay for it.

statue-of-liberty-paris-building-process_thumb.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Did you get to visit inside?

I know it had been closed for years (decades?) and recently re-opened.
    It's probably closed again now with the COVID 19.

We did not go up inside. If I remember correctly the crown was closed that day. There may have been an option to go up to a different spot but we had a 6 year old and 3 year old in tow and didn't want to spend the extra cash or energy to haul them up. Particularly since we had already done the Empire State Building the day before.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    It was a gift from the French people to the American people, not a gift to one nation to another.
    That what makes it even more special.

It was partially displayed in Paris to raise money during the construction since the French government didn't pay for it.

statue-of-liberty-paris-building-process_thumb.jpg

By the way Sylvain; thank you from an American to a Frenchman. The statue of Liberty is one of the nicest gifts the American people have received. Especially nice, since it came from the French.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    31543912_10215284378119297_7606992151913693184_n.jpg

There are some folks who don't really get why Roof Koreans are such a big deal to so many people. Well take a knee, and I'ma break it down for you.

These people walked away from their country, their culture, their extended family, and their homes in search of something better. They crossed an ocean, language barrier, and jumped socioeconomic hurdles simple to get here. They did it, legally. They landed in a place where the first question to all Asians is "are ya Chinese or Japanese?"

They learned our language, our laws, our social code. They found community, started businesses from nothing, and tried to give their children a better life. All in a country that was, at its best, completely indifferent to them. Though, mostly, it was pretty racist.

On April 29, 1992 civil unrest (as a result of a police department and justice system they had no hand in creating or corrupting) threatened their homes, their businesses, and their livelihood. Everything they'd fought for was about to be taken from them as the city of LA came down on top of them. They responded in the most 'Merica way possible; they took up a defensive position and said "Stand your ground. Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

That day, these men became more American than most people who were born here could ever be. They were willing to die fighting, rather than giving up their American Dream. They deserve to be honored and remembered for that.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    31543912_10215284378119297_7606992151913693184_n.jpg

There are some folks who don't really get why Roof Koreans are such a big deal to so many people. Well take a knee, and I'ma break it down for you.

These people walked away from their country, their culture, their extended family, and their homes in search of something better. They crossed an ocean, language barrier, and jumped socioeconomic hurdles simple to get here. They did it, legally. They landed in a place where the first question to all Asians is "are ya Chinese or Japanese?"

They learned our language, our laws, our social code. They found community, started businesses from nothing, and tried to give their children a better life. All in a country that was, at its best, completely indifferent to them. Though, mostly, it was pretty racist.

On April 29, 1992 civil unrest (as a result of a police department and justice system they had no hand in creating or corrupting) threatened their homes, their businesses, and their livelihood. Everything they'd fought for was about to be taken from them as the city of LA came down on top of them. They responded in the most 'Merica way possible; they took up a defensive position and said "Stand your ground. Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

That day, these men became more American than most people who were born here could ever be. They were willing to die fighting, rather than giving up their American Dream. They deserve to be honored and remembered for that.

Rep nazis won't let me rep you! :nuts:

Top Bottom