• Status
    Not open for further replies.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    Just passing thru at the moment. Our county has been upgraded to orange status. Where we work is still red, but daughter says Aldi is open today so she is going to work. Cole will be coming to see us. No sledding today as it is too cold. I told Grandpa to hide the sled. I think we might bake cookies or something.

View attachment 179751
    seems like a Monster Cookie kind of day

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    schmidtbakery.com/cherry-thing-a-ling/

Our annual Cherry Thing-a-Lings are a once a year a treat. It falls during President’s Day Weekend in February. This is the only Sunday out of the year we are open.
    Accepting orders ONLY for shipping.
    Just plan to come and enjoy the wait. Know that every effort is made to get you in and out as soon as possible. Can’t wait to see everyone, and have you taste these delicious treats!

WHAT IS A CHERRY THING-A-LING?:
    A Cherry Thing-a-ling is a fritter type donut that has cherries in it, instead of the typical, Apple or Blueberry (which we also make). It is fried to perfection and then topped off with a cherry glaze! Most of the time they are still warm during our 5 day weekend, and that’s what truly makes them special! Nothing better than a warm donut!! (yes I’m spoiled, I can’t help it) If you have some that aren’t warm, we suggest a quick pop in the microwave to soften and make them ooey gooey delicious! We hope you like them as much as we do!
    VISITING: Our current hours for 2022 are:
    February 17th-February 21st, from 4am-6pm

(We have a line every day, so when we get close to closing, WE WILL CUT THE LINE!, sorry for the inconvenience, but we have maintenance between days that are a necessity to keep the Things-A-Lings coming along. )
    These are the 5 days we make them ALL DAY long!! We try to accommodate everyone these days as best as we can. Thanks in advance for your patience in receiving your tasty, warm treats! Come see us, we LOVE OUR CUSTOMERS and have so much fun making them all weekend long. We usually see old friends and make some new friends along the way. The town goes all out too, with wooden cherries all over town, plus special treats at some of the stores and restaurants in the area. Tuesday, February 15th and 22nd are our shipment days this year (see below) NOTE–2-3 days for shipping!
    SHIPPING:

Current Ship Dates For 2022:

Our current ship dates are February 15th and February 22nd

ALL SHIPPING ORDERS must be called directly to the Bakery. Deadline for shipping orders are as follows

Tuesday, February 15th – called in before February 14th at 5pm.,

Tuesday, February 22nd – called in before February 21st at 5pm.,

or until we reach maximum shipping amounts for those dates.

To place an order for shipping in the United States, please call Schmidt Bakery directly,

812-934-4501

We DO NOT ACCEPT ORDERS ONLINE! Yes, I know this is an inconvenience, but we don’t want anyone to miss out on this annual treat, from delay of message or junk mail horrors. Yes, sometimes those emails don’t reach us, and that makes us sad. So, to take care of that, do the OLD STYLE and call in your order. It’s safer for payment information anyways. No hackers involved!

Our Shipping days are on the Tuesday the week of Cherry Thing-A-ling and the Tuesday after the crazy weekend. A flat rate shipping box will get them to their destination. Call EARLY, we are limited on how many we can ship each day!!

We Suggest a quick warm-up in the microwave when ready to eat. Fresh is still the best, but this comes in a close 2nd if it’s the only way to get them.
    Some have shared with us how they eat a cherry thing-a-ling, they warm it up, add a dollop of ice cream and make it like a “Cherry Pie A la mode” YUMMY!

DO THEY FREEZE?
    Absolutely. As with anything, we suggest putting them in freezer ziploc bags, or some type of sealable bag, that will protect them from “freezer burn”. Don’t waste those delicious treats! When ready to eat, thaw briefly, or just throw it in the microwave to re-warm and soften up. Keep them for the other 11 months we don’t sell them!! Happy Eating.

HISTORY:
    This annual treat was started back in the early 70’s and has become an amazing tradition in our quaint little hometown bakery. We used to only make them on Sundays back then. We got to a point where we were selling out and needed to add another day. So, we added a second day, logically, Monday- President’s Day. And then it still wasn’t enough time so we added Saturday to the mix, and Now Thursday and Friday also.
    2015= 46.260
    2016= 52,452
    2017= 79,920 (started shipping regularly)
    2018=116,748! Unbelievable!! we even shipped out over 400 dozen too! We love it!
    2019= 145,440! Had 2 ship dates, and The City of Batesville created the Cherry Thing-a-Ling Festival downtown with ice rink and ice sculpture.
    2020= 160,716. Shockingly, our first 2 days were the only days with a long line, the other days you could almost walk right in and right back out with warm Thing-a-lings. We keep trying to improve upon our methods. Thanks for your patience over the years, we LOVE OUR CUSTOMERS!!
    2021= 164,160 Incredible year, despite the Pandemic and the HUGE snowstorm that rocked the Midwest and East coast. Thanks for braving the weather and the pandemic limitations. We are so thankful to all of you.

Thanks so much for patronizing our business and giving us the support to continue this FUN and flavorful tradition.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    seems like a Monster Cookie kind of day
    I have never made those. My sister used to make them all the time, and they are good. I was thinking more along the lines of chocolate chip. Hubby likes oatmeal raisin so that's what I usually make. I could make cut out cookies for Valentines day. He likes the butter cookie recipe I use for those.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have never made those. My sister used to make them all the time, and they are good. I was thinking more along the lines of chocolate chip. Hubby likes oatmeal raisin so that's what I usually make. I could make cut out cookies for Valentines day. He likes the butter cookie recipe I use for those.
    Huhumm.....I do know a certain someone who also likes oatmeal raisin cookies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I went out with the blower and it was strangely "sticky". I am hoping for some sun and wanted some bare spots so it might melt off
    same here, even when it is cold out, that blacktop starts melting the snow and ice if it gets some sun on it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom