• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    New Reason to not Open Carry...

You might look like a Cop and be targeted just because..
    if you have a CC badge, your chances go up :)

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Not sure if this has been posted here but worth a look in the context of this thread:

Concealed Carrier Robbed of Gun in Philadelphia

Make sure you watch the linked video, too.

I do not think my OC pistol could be taken like what happened here. The CCer who lost his firearm might have had a chance had his holstered pistol not fallen to the floor. No matter how you carry, do it right! Get a high-quality holster and belt!

I thought looking like an unarmed sheep keeps you safe?

And why aren't these people who make false police reports getting fined?!

And the stupid comment of, "if you are law abiding, you'll have a short contact by police." BS! I've had not one bad encounter, but 2 in the same day!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I thought looking like an unarmed sheep keeps you safe?

And why aren't these people who make false police reports getting fined?!

And the stupid comment of, "if you are law abiding, you'll have a short contact by police." BS! I've had not one bad encounter, but 2 in the same day!

If the police are law abiding, you'll have a short/no contact.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Thanks! I'm seeing it much more often in my area.

During my training for the BPD, my instructor told everyone not to mess with people who are open carrying, and that it's perfectly legal. It was good to see that we're training our officers correctly. I even had a SBPD officer thank me for OCing the other day. We're winning.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

During my training for the BPD, my instructor told everyone not to mess with people who are open carrying, and that it's perfectly legal. It was good to see that we're training our officers correctly. I even had a SBPD officer thank me for OCing the other day. We're winning.

Good deal!

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    If the police are law abiding, you'll have a short/no contact.
    I had police tell me they know OC is legal and yet they still harassed me.

That is fantastic to hear!

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I had an SBPD officer thank me for open carrying. Me and my girlfriend, both OC Glock 19s, he pulled into a Speedway as we were walking in. Got himself a fountain drink, and as he walked past us, he stopped, looked at our guns, and said, "Thanks for the help." I told him, "No problem at all. Thank you."

Looks like they've got at least one good one. I hope it's a trend we can continue. My department, along with Elkhart County, is very pro gun. South Bend still has a ways to go, but we're making progress.

Actually, the nastiest encounter I've had with LE while OC was an Osceola cop. That wasn't even that bad, and he was off duty.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    I'm glad to see that the officers are getting a bit more relaxed with seeing OC. I haven't had anything said in Brazil except one gas station attendant asking how he could become legal to carry OC like I do. I don't get near the cross eyed looks from people that I used to around here. I think that's good that people are becoming less focused on the gun and more focused on the type of person that's carrying it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    tbhausen and I had occasion to visit the 46th St. and Lafayette Road wallyworld (Indy) last night. As we were parking the car and getting out an IMPD officer rolled up on us from the front of the store to tell us the store had closed at midnight. He remained in his vehicle while we approached on foot for for a brief and cordial conversation. He never even mentioned my full size firearm I was openly carrying.

:yesway:

El Pistolero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2015
    Fishers
    I like that article, but it all hinges on your defensive situation being caused by assailants who are strangers. I don't have figures but aren't a lot of violent crimes committed by people who knew the victim? It seems to me like if someone you know is determined to attack you, and they know you have a weapon, they will likely plan for that and use it to your disadvantage. Or they will attack you when they know you aren't carrying.

I can count on one hand the number of people who know I conceal carry. If, heaven forbid, I am assaulted by someone who knows me, maybe the fact that they don't know I have a weapon will come to my advantage. Just my $0.02.

Top Bottom