• ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    says it all

This seems to me to be the most well thought out thing I have read all in one place. I am a relative beginner to this site and handguns and I think I can just about get all I need to intellectually know from this article. I have not and don't plan on carrying anytime soon till I get comfortable with the idea of possibly having to use it. The huge responsibility of carrying and possibly using it. YIKES.
    I noticed one of the last sentences is about "his personal protection plan" I will investigate that more.
    I probably would lean more toward concealment right now. I remember the old adage "don't tip your hand before it's time" but after reading this article I understand the other side better.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    This seems to me to be the most well thought out thing I have read all in one place. I am a relative beginner to this site and handguns and I think I can just about get all I need to intellectually know from this article. I have not and don't plan on carrying anytime soon till I get comfortable with the idea of possibly having to use it. The huge responsibility of carrying and possibly using it. YIKES.
    I noticed one of the last sentences is about "his personal protection plan" I will investigate that more.
    I probably would lean more toward concealment right now. I remember the old adage "don't tip your hand before it's time" but after reading this article I understand the other side better.

That's excellent to hear. It is well that you are taking the time to be sure you're making the right decision. The important thing about deciding between OC and CC is that you need to be comfortable with your decision and understand that there are some situations when one may be better for you than the other.

Welcome to INGO, and have fun learning more about guns, safety, and carrying.

EvilleT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Evansville
    I cc here, I dont mind OC, but I believe it would be reasonable to expect people to question and call the authorities at times, which would led to, hopefully just showing your permit and being on your way. And although I hate to say this, there are those who put a gun on there belt just so the world can see how powerful they are. I realize its just a few, but it only takes one to make us all look bad.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I believe it would be reasonable to expect people to question and call the authorities at times, which would led to, hopefully just showing your permit and being on your way...

This would only be reasonable if they knew that Indiana had a pay-to-play licensing scheme and simply desired to ensure that the carrier had paid their permission fee to the state.

Most calls are unreasonable, based on ignorance, as they also do this with long arms and even in states which do not require any carry licensing at all.

I'll generally take the time to answer polite questions, but calling the authorities for simply carrying is ridiculous and should be corrected on the phone rather than dispatching an officer.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I cc here, I dont mind OC, but I believe it would be reasonable to expect people to question and call the authorities at times, which would led to, hopefully just showing your permit and being on your way. And although I hate to say this, there are those who put a gun on [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] their belt just so the world can see how powerful they are. I realize its just a few, but it only takes one to make us all look bad.

Question: how does one discern the reason a person open carries? I suggest that you can't determine that by looking at them. Therefore, all open carriers make "us" look bad?

I'm not calling you out (maybe a little) but how does an open carrier, for whatever reason, make anyone else look bad?

bulldogxray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    I thought that was well said and addresed different perspectives. Sometimes I carry concealed and sometimes open. I carry my colt 1911 45 so it is hard to conceal I usually just have a fleece unzipped so it is kind of concealed but not really.

I do carry concealed when I am in the mall. I try to to freak out anyone and if there is a maniac coming to the food court to do some damage the only thing that happens is how I react once a maniac has been identified.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I don't OC because of people's ignorance. I have learned to be comfortable with cc. On top of the ignorance about firearms. I don't need any prejudged thoughts or actions affecting my life negatively (however rare it may be).

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I don't OC because of people's ignorance. I have learned to be comfortable with cc. On top of the ignorance about firearms. I don't need any prejudged thoughts or actions affecting my life negatively (however rare it may be).

You can choose to carry however you wish but that seems like a pretty lame reason IMO. I was raised to make my own decisions and not give a rat's ass what other people thought.

What other gems in life do you miss out on for fear of the unknown? How do we combat their ignorance while hiding what we are doing? What ways do you spread information about OC so that one day all those who fear the ignorance of misinformed people can experiance the freedom and liberty of making their own decisions?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've been OCing the majority of the time for the better part of two years now. The incidence rate (overhearing someone making a comment, getting a stare, or someone asking me about my weapon) regarding my weapon is probably less than 1%. In general, most people I see smile or if we are in the same aisle looking at some piece of merchandise, they will establish small talk, but it never leads to firearms. It could be that they are just assessing and getting a sanity check of me for their own comfort level...but all in all, it's been a really good experience.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    You can choose to carry however you wish but that seems like a pretty lame reason IMO. I was raised to make my own decisions and not give a rat's ass what other people thought.

What other gems in life do you miss out on for fear of the unknown? How do we combat their ignorance while hiding what we are doing? What ways do you spread information about OC so that one day all those who fear the ignorance of misinformed people can experiance the freedom and liberty of making their own decisions?

However lame it's the reason. I tend to avoid conflict and do not like to draw attention. For those that could care less about others opinions and welcome any issues, more power to them.

There are people out there that thrive on making life hard on others and I don't want to give anyone any reason to make me a target, again however rare.

It's a shame but its how the world is, the great part is I can choose to carry however I see fit. What makes one person comfortable and works for them may not work for others.

Last edited:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If I am wearing a t-shirt I CC, and if I am wearing a collared shirt, tucked in with a belt and all that, I OC. Never gave it any other thought than that. I just think it looks funny to OC in a t-shirt. Most of the time I wear dress shirts, so most of the time I OC. And if it's cold I OC with a jacket unzipped, so it's like OCC? LOL

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If I am wearing a t-shirt I CC, and if I am wearing a collared shirt, tucked in with a belt and all that, I OC. Never gave it any other thought than that. I just think it looks funny to OC in a t-shirt. Most of the time I wear dress shirts, so most of the time I OC. And if it's cold I OC with a jacket unzipped, so it's like OCC? LOL

Sounds to me that you JFC.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I never open carry. I want the "bad guy" to not know that I have a firearm so that just in case he is actually willing to shoot, that he doesn't just do it first, then rob me. But, to each, their own.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I never open carry. I want the "bad guy" to not know that I have a firearm so that just in case he is actually willing to shoot, that he doesn't just do it first, then rob me. But, to each, their own.

Don't you just hate when that happens? It seems to happen every time us OCers go anywhere.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

You are much more likely to be mistaken for a typical sheep and bashed over the head for your wallet since they don't know you are armed.

I guess it is about risk management and I prefer to place my chips in a more likley scenario of deterence and ability. If they SEE I'm armed they are much less likely to target me since criminals are after easy prey. If there would be a case where I WOULD need it then it is easier to deploy from a good belt holster with no clothes in the way of my draw.

The deeper the concealment the more things can go wrong if you need your gun in a hurry- and any time I can think of that you would actually NEED your gun, it would be in a hurry.

Top Bottom