• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I personally conceal carry for the simple fact that the "average" citizen is to quick to call the police and say "someone has a gun". I understand law enforcement has a job to do but I dont like having to pull over, get out of the car, get searched, and run my numbers. Of course Im totally legal, you are stupid if you do otherwise. Its just a hassle and takes law enforcements valuable time when they could be attending to real crimes. Although I do believe open carry does make criminals think twice before the commit a crime.

I think that happens far less than you realize. I've been doing nothing but OC for a couple years now. These "average citizens" have been more than friendly and conversational, even the ones that are not particularly pro-gun. I've never had a store/restaraunt/shmoe call the police on me.

This may have to do with where you live, I guess? I carry around Greenwood daily. I carry around downtown Indianapolis slightly less, just because I'm not there as much. I'm sure if I walked around downtown every day OC, I might run into a bit more resistance. That's just my assumption though, and so far my time OC'ing downtown has met no resistance or encounters.

I'm as misanthropic as you can get, but people continue to surprise me with their positive and interesting inquiries about me OC'ing.

Edit: As a side note, I've been carrying far less this week =/ I got in a wreck on Sunday, so I can't leave it in my car while I'm at work downtown, and I've been bumming rides until the car is fixed. Can't bring it in the building with me.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Now if we could just get those "average" citizens who call in to think twice, we'd be on to something. ;)

The average cityzen is not your average citizen anymore. They don't know the rights spelled out by the Constitution and also have been a victim of a crime or knows someone who has been.

The average citizen calls the PD several times a week or at least see "bad" people with weapons. They live in an area where crime is on the rise. Meaning, is there a safe place to live anymore? I know for a fact that if I didn't have my head up my... or noy paying attention someone has thought to disarm me.

I fully believe in home defense and the ability to protect yourself while out on the town. We have all been in "sticky" situations. Two nights ago we had a person held up in an apartment complex with a handgun. My question was if theer were anyone with long guns. another officer and myself brought our M-4s.

These type of actions, both public and LE have made the truely average sitizen paranoid of his surroundings. Until it is fully accepted, be preparred to be stopped and asked for a license and permit. Don't kill the messagener. Stay safe.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    These type of actions, both public and LE have made the truely average sitizen paranoid of his surroundings. Until it is fully accepted, be preparred to be stopped and asked for a license and permit. Don't kill the messagener. Stay safe.
    Permit for what exactly?!

Good luck with me showing the Drivers License as well though...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Is open carrying illegal if you have your CC permit?

There is no CC or OC permit. Everyone who buys a "permit" in this state is issued the "License to Carry a Handgun." There is nothing in the law that mandates how you have to carry your gun. So if you have your "permit" then you can carry it OC or CC. The only illegal way of carrying a handgun is by not possessing the LTCH. If you've got that, you're good to go no matter how you decide to carry.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Is open carrying illegal if you have your CC permit?

There is no CC or OC permit. Everyone who buys a "permit" in this state is issued the "License to Carry a Handgun." There is nothing in the law that mandates how you have to carry your gun. So if you have your "permit" then you can carry it OC or CC. The only illegal way of carrying a handgun is by not possessing the LTCH. If you've got that, you're good to go no matter how you decide to carry.

We just wouldn't recommend carrying it in your hand everywhere you go. Though technically legal, if you think OC'ers get hassled with it in the holster, it's bound to be a ton worse of you just carry it in your hand. Especially openly. ;)

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    For those that open carry

I found myself somewhat joining in on the debate of open carry versus concealed carry, I got a couple of replies like "because I can" and "because it is more comfortable", physical comfort makes sense to me, but I am really curious as to why you open carry. I am not looking for a debate, I am not looking to put anyone down, I am just very curious as to why you feel it is better to open carry? I know I have no control over this thread once it is posted, but I am not looking for a debate and I'm not looking for those that open carry to be a target of ridicule, I'm looking to be educated and who better to educate me on the subject than those that open carry.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    The search button is your friend. I suggest you read through the many threads that have gone over the OC Vs.CC debate ad nauseum.

If you find anything new on the topic that you'd like to discuss, then start a thread. My guess is that you'll find both points of view well detailed in your research.

Both sides are well entrenched on the issue.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    For me I have decided to open carry, for the time being, to get more comfortable with the equipment being on my person. Talking about mentally comfortable not physically.

Will most likely CC as time goes by.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Ok, I've haven't carried much but I have OC'ed a few times. For me, CC doesn't make much sense. I'm not very big and the bulge under my shirt is kind of "noticeable". I will probably CC in the winter just because of the type of clothing I wear. Personally I don't see either side as right or wrong.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    There are tons of answers if I do a search, but most of those answers are in the form of debate, I don't want to debate pros and cons, I just want to know why? Again, I'm not looking to debate, I only want to know why people open carry.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    The whole argument is largely a cultural issue than anything. People are not used to seeing guns carried openly, so when they do see one, the knee-jerk reaction is to become shocked at the sight. I view open carrying as an opportunity to exercise my rights as well as allowing the general public the opportunity to get used to the sight of legally carried firearms.

Think of these examples: #1 - If you were walking through the park with your wife, and two guys were sitting on a park bench kissing, your knee jerk reaction would likely be one of shock. That's because you don't see it very often. However, if you were to take a walk in a park in San Fransisco, it wouldn't cause the same reaction, because it is more common. (maybe a poor example, but you see that people are automatically shocked at the sight of things that they are not accustomed to)
    #2 - If my kids (I have 4) were to see someone carrying a gun, they wouldn't think twice about it. If they were to find a gun in a closet, they wouldn't touch it. Why? Because they have grown up around guns, and they are the norm. It takes away the novelty. It is an every day occurrence for them to see someone with a gun.

When we carry openly, it not only shows the general public that there is nothing to fear about legal gun ownership, but it also helps to remove the stigma and novelty that comes along with the idea of carrying guns. If you were to ask the average non gun owner what they thought about people carrying guns, what would their reaction be? I would suppose that the response would be something along the lines of "Guns are evil. Only criminals carry guns." So how do we change their minds? One solution is open carrying.

You see, if the majority of society goes with the mindset that guns are evil, it is only a matter of time that legislation is passed that infringes on our rights. And that legislation is very likely to infringe on both openly carried and concealed firearms.

My other reason for open carrying is that it is much more comfortable than concealed carry. I carry a Glock 23, and have a tuckable IWB holster for it when it is necessary. However, carrying in my OWB holster is much more comfortable than anything else. Sure, I could untuck my shirt and drape it over the holster, but why should I?

Another point to bring up is whether there is any credibility to the assumption that concealed carry provides a tactical advantage. This has been discussed numerous times, but has never been proven.

The bottom line is that it is nobody's concern whether I choose to carry openly or concealed. It has as much bearing as whether I choose to wear a long sleeved or short sleeved shirt. (should you really have to cover up the "guns"?) You can carry any way you like. I'm just glad you carry at all. However, it is nobody's place to tell me how to carry just because they choose not to carry in that manner.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Lots of reasons. Which ones do you want?
    - easy and comfortable
    - great conversation starter
    - deterrent (this one gets debated extensively)
    - and yes, it is my right as a (mostly) free man

I do occasionally CC, when I feel it is the appropriate thing to do. For instance, my wife and I are meeting some friends at a bar/restaurant this evening. Rather than deal with the few bleating sheep that invariably show up, I'll just conceal (like at least 4-5 of the other guys in the group).

On the flip side, we had dinner out last week (wife, baby, and I) and I OC-ed. More comfortable, perfectly legal, and does (in my opinion) convey a "not an easy target" message. I've never had any make on issue of it, and I don't expect it.

I have found it interesting:
    - OC-ers get grief from CCW-ers.
    - CCW-ers don't get much grief from OC-ers, they are just happy you carry.
    - CCW-ers don't give each other grief, and OC-ers don't give each other grief.

Maybe she should start a bunch of "why conceal" threads to balance it out? Kidding, of course. ;)

Top Bottom