• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Dry beans and rice. Lots of canned chili, stews, chicken, tuna, meats and SPAM:puke: (Shelf life minimum 3 years and rotated). Water (rotated), coffee, salt, and a lot of PB. I may not like all of this but it will feed me if it needs to. I have a couple hundred Ramen noodles as well and probably a few other items stashed away. I'm lighter than a lot here-probably only a 6-9 month supply if I ration water.

And several bottles of Captain Morgan.

Once the dry food is gone the cats will have to hunt for themselves.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was being a bit of a smarta**, but I do often consume (and intend to do so in an emergency) peanut butter without a supporting platform such as bread or crackers.

I suspect any bread recipe would work. In fact, some of the unleavened flat breads that don't need yeast and that you can cook in a skillet would work well too. A peanut butter wrap any time of day is a treat!

:yesway:

I have just been looking for some simple bread or cracker type recipes. Have flour, etc, packed away, but something to make a sammich out of, would add to it a lot! LOL

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    We always have rice and flour. Soy sauce lasts a long time left sealed. Cans of veggies and tomatoes can be mixed with the rice. Dehydrated meats can be cooked in to change it up. Also beans (pinto usually) and peanut butter. Sugar and spices. Coffee beans. Even fruit juice has a couple of year life.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy

I have just been looking for some simple bread or cracker type recipes. Have flour, etc, packed away, but something to make a sammich out of, would add to it a lot! LOL

I realise this is an older thread, but since it's up again anyway. We used a recipe similar to this one in the scouts to make bread.

Easy No-Knead Skillet Bread - Baker Bettie

All the ingredients have a good shelf life. Might leave the herbs out for a PB&J though.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    I realise this is an older thread, but since it's up again anyway. We used a recipe similar to this one in the scouts to make bread.

Easy No-Knead Skillet Bread - Baker Bettie

All the ingredients have a good shelf life. Might leave the herbs out for a PB&J though.

Grain/flour has kept people alive through thousands of winters and a famine or two. You store it as whole grain and grind it as you need it. That's actually how everyone should do it today. "Whole" grain flour from the store is not really the whole grain. The oil is removed and most of the time chemical residue is left in the grain. Any cereal grain is good to store/prep. You can make bread or just crackers with a few ingredients. Buy it in 50lb bags and it can be vacuum sealed if it is very dry.

Last edited:

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Grain/flour has kept people alive through thousands of winters and a famine or two. You store it as whole grain and grind it as you need it. That's actually how everyone should do it today. "Whole" grain flour from the store is not really the whole grain. The oil is removed and most of the time chemical residue is left in the grain. Any cereal grain is good to store/prep. You can make bread or just crackers with a few ingredients. Buy it in 50lb bags and it can be vacuum sealed if it is very dry.

I'm sure it comes out better that way, but grinding 4 cups of flour by hand is no fun.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    I'm sure it comes out better that way, but grinding 4 cups of flour by hand is no fun.

My family has been making our own flour for a lot of years and we never did it by hand. We've always used a Kitchen Aid mixer and grain mill attachment. Sprouted grain or culturing grain/sour dough makes really good pancakes or bread. It's better for you and less expensive; especially if you order 50lb bags of grain.

If you store it for an emergency I don't think anyone would mind grinding the grain. The link is for a grain mill. Badger Peak has some good prepping items.

Country Living Grain Mill

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    Canned and dried hot peppers and spices are a must for me. Not only can I make Ramen noodles enjoyable and have some nutritional value, but it's a great barter item. Ghost Chili can be a weapon if needed and some peppers do have medicinal benefit for some conditions. It's all about the peppers and spices.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I got flooded in for 2 weeks in '08. I learned to survive on Raman noodles. I shudder even passing them in the store. What I missed most was TP. I guess I'm spoiled. I'm never gonna run out again.
    I store a lot of Tuna now. Even though IF you read the label it's full of veggie crap like cat food now. Even the pure white. Always PB with the home made J in the cellar. I can a lot of veggies now and stock up on canned goods. Rice, beans, salt, pepper, cooking oil, etc. Just the necessary basics.
    So far I'm good on water but I think if SHTF I don't think my supply would last over 3 months. I run a well and OK as long as my back up hand pumps hold out.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Canned and dried hot peppers and spices are a must for me. Not only can I make Ramen noodles enjoyable and have some nutritional value, but it's a great barter item. Ghost Chili can be a weapon if needed and some peppers do have medicinal benefit for some conditions. It's all about the peppers and spices.

+1. My wife has canned up to 200 containers of hot salsa in one season. She started canning hot okra two summers ago. Last summer I saw hot green beans for $9.00 a jar in Whole Foods Market so I figured they must be okay or they would never sell it. We sell green beans in the local farmer's market so I asked my wife to can some with hot peppers; they are the best pickled items out of everything she has ever done. Next summer, Lord willing, we will can more. She canned habanero and jalapeno peppers for the first time this year.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    I got flooded in for 2 weeks in '08. I learned to survive on Raman noodles. I shudder even passing them in the store. What I missed most was TP. I guess I'm spoiled. I'm never gonna run out again.
    I store a lot of Tuna now. Even though IF you read the label it's full of veggie crap like cat food now. Even the pure white. Always PB with the home made J in the cellar. I can a lot of veggies now and stock up on canned goods. Rice, beans, salt, pepper, cooking oil, etc. Just the necessary basics.
    So far I'm good on water but I think if SHTF I don't think my supply would last over 3 months. I run a well and OK as long as my back up hand pumps hold out.

The "veggie" stuff has MSG too. Most canned broths in the store are loaded with MSG. Many years ago I would get headaches after eating Starkist tuna. I called them and they said they no longer added MSG, but there was some naturally occurring MSG in their product. Try to purchase tuna without any "vegetable" broth. MSG may not be shown on some labels, but it is hidden in another item. The best brand we have found is Polar and it is available in the Meijer stores. On Polar's label it says: No additives, no residue, no after-taste. That's the only tuna we buy now.

Top Bottom