mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I built a fire in the upstairs wood stove so maybe we can warm things up a little around here. Gonna make a pot of chili....

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    braved the elements and made it to speedway for a fountain diet pepsi. roads are packed ice but passable. The alley was a mess to get out of, but I did it.
    Saw the boss was at work so now I am waiting for a call to go to work.
    I know I can make it now.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Krogers looked to have 3 employees on staff today, family video had 1, two gas stations open here but nobody in them, not much moving in this little town...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Daughter made some great chili last night. I saved just enough to make me an omelet tomorrow. MMmmmmm....chili Omelet

Still trying to convince stubborn daughter to stay home because she is not supposed to be on the roads and that she will NOT get fired if she doesn't go to work. I have no idea where she gets this stubbornness from.....no idea at all.......

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Well... The server has 64 GB of RAM and for optimal performance it uses a good portion of that for caching. For example let's say you want to write a 2GB file to the disks but the disks are busy doing other things - we can either hold up the other processes and write our data, hold on writing our data and let everything else run, or cache the data and write it as soon as the disks are available/not busy.

The first option would cause everything to halt but that one write - not good in a shared environment. The second would cause whatever process was trying to write to halt until there was disk write available - not good in a shared environment either because it could happen to everybody at any time. The third option is what *should* happen but the 'slab_cache' most notably the dentry cache is building up to huge levels [it never should go above 2~4gb and it's going up to 30~40gb].

In short - the system is cutting off it's nose to save it's face and it's not something I can prevent.

The funny part is that we use SSD Cached I/O to prevent issues like these - but when our backup system is running and this issue happens it compounds to the point of things basically coming to a halt across the board.

A few options:
    1. Disable our R1Soft backups - don't want to do this but probably will have to.
    2. Deal with people complaining and explain it's not something within our control but we're working with our software vendor - less than ideal.
    3. Disable R1Soft and use an alternative backup system - this is what we're doing but it's much more wasteful and much less robust - but you gotta do what you gotta do.

What's most irritating is that if I weren't a decent server admin I'd never have even caught this - it would have just been random unexplained lack of performance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well... The server has 64 GB of RAM and for optimal performance it uses a good portion of that for caching. For example let's say you want to write a 2GB file to the disks but the disks are busy doing other things - we can either hold up the other processes and write our data, hold on writing our data and let everything else run, or cache the data and write it as soon as the disks are available/not busy.

The first option would cause everything to halt but that one write - not good in a shared environment. The second would cause whatever process was trying to write to halt until there was disk write available - not good in a shared environment either because it could happen to everybody at any time. The third option is what *should* happen but the 'slab_cache' most notably the dentry cache is building up to huge levels [it never should go above 2~4gb and it's going up to 30~40gb].

In short - the system is cutting off it's nose to save it's face and it's not something I can prevent.

The funny part is that we use SSD Cached I/O to prevent issues like these - but when our backup system is running and this issue happens it compounds to the point of things basically coming to a halt across the board.

A few options:
    1. Disable our R1Soft backups - don't want to do this but probably will have to.
    2. Deal with people complaining and explain it's not something within our control but we're working with our software vendor - less than ideal.
    3. Disable R1Soft and use an alternative backup system - this is what we're doing but it's much more wasteful and much less robust - but you gotta do what you gotta do.

What's most irritating is that if I weren't a decent server admin I'd never have even caught this - it would have just been random unexplained lack of performance.

Now that makes sense to us dummy's....at least to me.....:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nope, I'm still lost. Of course my knowledge of computers is limited to fixing it with control alt delete or the escape key, if those don't fix it I'm out of ideas!

I do the regular in boox maint. on my lap top but past that I have a son and daughter.....they can do it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom