• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I don't have ages in mind specifically but I agree with maturity. Was just curious what thoughts were with this shooting of a 6 year old by his 11 year old brother while left alone.

I don't know your kids but, if the 11yr old is mature and the 6yr old isn't a problem child go for it. I threw out general safe ages that kids "better be mature enough" by.

But, if you raised your kids to be mature and responsible, you shouldn't run into any problems. After all, the only time it would be an issue is if something happened...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I don't know your kids but, if the 11yr old is mature and the 6yr old isn't a problem child go for it. I threw out general safe ages that kids "better be mature enough" by.

But, if you raised your kids to be mature and responsible, you shouldn't run into any problems. After all, the only time it would be an issue is if something happened...

I never left my girls alone until they were 12 or 13. Never overnight until they were adults.

'Home alone age' question raised after recent tragedy - 13 WTHR

that is what raises my question.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I never left my girls alone until they were 12 or 13. Never overnight until they were adults.

'Home alone age' question raised after recent tragedy - 13 WTHR

that is what raises my question.

Eh, like the article stated, it's up to the parents. It is extremely sad that the parents lost one child and that the other is charged in the matter BUT, the issue should not be that they were left home alone. The issue should with the 11yr old and the firearm.

I personally have no issue with an 11yr old that is trained firearms safety and knows how to use a weapon having access to a weapon to protect himself and his brother.

However, if the 11yr old is not properly trained in firearms safety, the firearm NEEDS to be secured.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Eh, like the article stated, it's up to the parents. It is extremely sad that the parents lost one child and that the other is charged in the matter BUT, the issue should not be that they were left home alone. The issue should with the 11yr old and the firearm.

I personally have no issue with an 11yr old that is trained firearms safety and knows how to use a weapon having access to a weapon to protect himself and his brother.

However, if the 11yr old is not properly trained in firearms safety, the firearm NEEDS to be secured.

agreed 100%

It's just a sad tale all the way around.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    The last post contained my personal views. However, where I work things are not up to the parents. They have things written in black and white. However, I still have discretion and I use it. I have met 17yr old boys and girls that I would not let out of my sight and I have met 10 yr old boys and girls that I could sit down and have an intelligent conversation, involving very complex subject matter with.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    The last post contained my personal views. However, where I work things are not up to the parents. They have things written in black and white. However, I still have discretion and I use it. I have met 17yr old boys and girls that I would not let out of my sight and I have met 10 yr old boys and girls that I could sit down and have an intelligent conversation, involving very complex subject matter with.

I agree, as of now I wouldn't even consider leaving my son home for 5 minutes alone. The girls at this age I knew I could run to the store and all would be well when I returned.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I agree, as of now I wouldn't even consider leaving my son home for 5 minutes alone. The girls at this age I knew I could run to the store and all would be well when I returned.

Yeah, I don't think my parents left my brother and I home until I was 13 and my brother was 10.

My oldest is 2 1/2, I have a 9mo old (both girls), and one on the way that should be here 1/25/12.... I've got a little bit before I even think about it!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm trying to read up on Indiana law some. I know that Illinois has a law that if a parent leave a firearm where a reasonable person would believe that a child under the age of 14 could access it, it's a misdemeanor. However, it's perfectly legal if the child has their parents permission (or you are the parent) BUT, the consenting parent then becomes liable for any crime committed involving said firearm.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I can't remember the last time I got up before 8am.:laugh:

Just wait till you have kids.... It really does change everything.... It's weird. Some days, I can't wait till I can get a break. Then when I finally get one, I have no idea what to do. It's like I can't remember what I did before I had them....

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Sorry Magic but, it's time for me to get going to bed too. I've got to get up with the kids and I've got a ton of stuff to do before noon tomorrow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    felix0213
    Top Bottom