• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They dont want you to mess everything up, you will probably touch everything and unplug a few wires. :):

So INGO fits in of of those small rack thingy? :dunno:
    And the bigger it gets, the more threads and members it has, the bigger the server needs to be?

I thought that you would need a few racks like that to host HandK's posts alone. :D

It's not about the number of posts, it's about the number of database queries. We have plenty of disk space, but as the traffic to the site grows, it requires more memory and more processor. Eventually, INGO will grow so large that we'll have to separate the database and the web and put each one on its own server. The racks in that picture each hold 42 physical servers. The servers are about 1.5" high, 19" wide, and (usually) around 30-40" deep.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would imagine that big sites like Youtube or Facebook need an entire room like that just to host their site.

Facebook is estimated to have over 100,000 servers. That's about 2400 racks just for servers, not including all of the networking hardware, disk subsystems, and everything else to run them. They need more than just a room like that. They have entire datacenters, and they're spread around the country. Google is estimated to have close to 500,000 servers.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    They dont want you to mess everything up, you will probably touch everything and unplug a few wires. :):

So INGO fits in one of those small rack thingy? :dunno:
    And the bigger it gets, the more threads and members it has, the bigger the server needs to be?

I thought that you would need a few racks like that to host HandK's posts alone. :D

Fenway already told me he had to get a new server because of me!! :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's not about the number of posts, it's about the number of database queries. We have plenty of disk space, but as the traffic to the site grows, it requires more memory and more processor. Eventually, INGO will grow so large that we'll have to separate the database and the web and put each one on its own server. The racks in that picture each hold 42 physical servers. The servers are about 1.5" high, 19" wide, and (usually) around 30-40" deep.

Oh I see, well kinda, at my own non-nerd level. :)

I thought that the server was the entire room or an entire rack, not just a small part of it. :n00b:
    So it means that each of those racks can host 42 websites?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh I see, well kinda, at my own non-nerd level. :)

I thought that the server was the entire room or an entire rack, not just a small part of it. :n00b:
    So it means that each of those racks can host 42 websites?

No, each rack holds 42 physical computers (servers). Each server can host hundreds of websites (depending on a lot of variables). INGO, for example, needs one whole server all to itself.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here's a closeup of one of those racks. Each one of these is a single computer server.

0ajNr.jpg

INGO's entire database could fit on your cell phone and still have room for a couple of movies. It's not that big. But we have a TON of traffic.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Facebook is estimated to have over 100,000 servers. That's about 2400 racks just for servers, not including all of the networking hardware, disk subsystems, and everything else to run them. They need more than just a room like that. They have entire datacenters, and they're spread around the country. Google is estimated to have close to 500,000 servers.

That's huge.
    I guess most people that are internet users like myself but that dont know much about how it works have no idea of the room it takes to "host the internet".
    I mean for me an many people the internet is just a big virtual space, not an actual place with huge builings full of servers that are actually somewhere an taking an entire building.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    No, each rack holds 42 physical computers (servers). Each server can host hundreds of websites (depending on a lot of variables). INGO, for example, needs one whole server all to itself.

Well you know, if you would get rid of those Soviet Russia prohibition rules, this site could take of its training wheels and grow into TWO servers!

:D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's huge.
    I guess most people that are internet users like myself but that dont know much about how it works have no idea of the room it takes to "host the internet".
    I mean for me an many people the internet is just a big virtual space, not an actual place with huge builings full of servers that are actually somewhere an taking an entire building.

I guarantee you that you drive by at least two datacenters at least as big as the ones in those pictures every day of your life and you don't realize it. They're not big on advertising their contents on the outside of the building. :D

Heck, if you see a building at the base of a broadcast antenna and that building is larger than a shed, it's a mini datacenter and probably has at least a couple of hundred servers in it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm going down to the datacenter I work in next week. I'll take some pictures. For now, I'm going to go play XBox.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rhino54
    Top Bottom