theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I dunno... what do docs know? :D

Actually, a lot.

I had bronchitis that turned into pneumonia. The steroids and stress of being so sick made my blood sugar spike four times higher than what it should. It was almost in the 400s well after meal times. The hospitalist (hospital doc) told me that my pancreas is 40% dead. He orders a CT Scan and tells me I am now diabetic and will have to give myself insulin shots and pills.

Because I am a (former) cancer patient, I still see my oncologist every three months. I see him on Wednesday and he agrees that I had pneumonia but has no idea why the other doc says my pancreas is 40% dead. The CT scan shows my pancreas looks okay. My liver looks a bit fatty but it has always looked that way according to him. I've lost about 22 lbs in the past 3 weeks. That is good because I need it and have about another 50 to go. I'm still giving myself insulin shots which makes me cry and I'm still taking metforim which also makes me cry.

The oncologist thinks I'll be able to ween myself off of everything but had a "come to Jesus" talk with me about my weight and general health. Fat people are prone to cancer (had it) and diabetes is not what I want to have... and obese cancer survivors statistically will get cancer again unless they change. So far, I've been doing a really good job of counting carbs and monitoring what I've been eating. I'm still taking the steroids to help me breathe (it makes my sugar spike high) but so far it looks like my body still needs the extra help from insulin and metformin.

I'm pretty bummed and all this medicine makes me feel sick to my stomach. I've missed a lot of work and am on emergency leave and I can't imagine ever going BACK to work feeling this bad. I can't think the same on these meds and my stomach is always hurting. I don't mean to sound like I'm having a pity party but good God, I do feel awful. I have no energy and I always feel shaky after I take my meds.

AHHHHHH TOOO SERIOUS FOR PW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

Actually, a lot.

I had bronchitis that turned into pneumonia. The steroids and stress of being so sick made my blood sugar spike four times higher than what it should. It was almost in the 400s well after meal times. The hospitalist (hospital doc) told me that my pancreas is 40% dead. He orders a CT Scan and tells me I am now diabetic and will have to give myself insulin shots and pills.

Because I am a (former) cancer patient, I still see my oncologist every three months. I see him on Wednesday and he agrees that I had pneumonia but has no idea why the other doc says my pancreas is 40% dead. The CT scan shows my pancreas looks okay. My liver looks a bit fatty but it has always looked that way according to him. I've lost about 22 lbs in the past 3 weeks. That is good because I need it and have about another 50 to go. I'm still giving myself insulin shots which makes me cry and I'm still taking metforim which also makes me cry.

The oncologist thinks I'll be able to ween myself off of everything but had a "come to Jesus" talk with me about my weight and general health. Fat people are prone to cancer (had it) and diabetes is not what I want to have... and obese cancer survivors statistically will get cancer again unless they change. So far, I've been doing a really good job of counting carbs and monitoring what I've been eating. I'm still taking the steroids to help me breathe (it makes my sugar spike high) but so far it looks like my body still needs the extra help from insulin and metformin.

I'm pretty bummed and all this medicine makes me feel sick to my stomach. I've missed a lot of work and am on emergency leave and I can't imagine ever going BACK to work feeling this bad. I can't think the same on these meds and my stomach is always hurting. I don't mean to sound like I'm having a pity party but good God, I do feel awful. I have no energy and I always feel shaky after I take my meds.

Don't worry about a pitty party! You have a good reason. I hope you get better soon! Goodnight everyone!

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Yea, lots of carb counting. Trying not to starve myself. I had a "nutrition" shake for breakfast and another for lunch. I had a serving of almonds and a small orange for a snack and for dinner I had fake meat, 1 portion of pasta shells and cheese and a cup of Asian veggies.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy

Actually, a lot.

What type of cancer did you have?

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    Yea, lots of carb counting. Trying not to starve myself. I had a "nutrition" shake for breakfast and another for lunch. I had a serving of almonds and a small orange for a snack and for dinner I had fake meat, 1 portion of pasta shells and cheese and a cup of Asian veggies.

Man that sounds like too much work, but I guess if I had no other choice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom