Speedway area
    Yup. I forgot you're coming.

It's going to be a busy day for me.
    Friday 3-11.
    I'll get 3-4 hours sleep.
    Then the Family Shoot.
    Shoot a little in the afternoon.
    Then midnights.
    Sunday I have off days, but then back for 3-11s.

I would never be on board with those hours even as a young man.
    I busted ass in the refrigeration service field but some of your shifts are relentless.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would never be on board with those hours even as a young man.
    I busted ass in the refrigeration service field but some of your shifts are relentless.

Well, any time in the summer sucks.
    But for pure hours, my two worst shifts (length wise) was in winters.
    That snow storm that shut down NWI for a while, I went to work on Sunday, and I left Wednesday*** I think.
    Waaayyy back in the 90s, I did something similar.

But, the hours and the heat are a big part of me wanting to leave in 4.5 years.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, any time in the summer sucks.
    But for pure hours, my two worst shifts (length wise) was in winters.
    That snow storm that shut down NWI for a while, I went to work on Sunday, and I left Wednesday*** I think.
    Waaayyy back in the 90s, I did something similar.

But, the hours and the heat are a big part of me wanting to leave in 4.5 years.

Can you leave then.

I have done a few 4 day turn arounds where we were on our feet for the duration/. Maybe 3 of those. The company was setting up another one and we "All" walked. No freaking way.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Can you leave then.

I have done a few 4 day turn arounds where we were on our feet for the duration/. Maybe 3 of those. The company was setting up another one and we "All" walked. No freaking way.

Walking of the jobs is grounds for firing. The union can't really do much, unless we have a wildcat strike.

One of our plants had heat treat, not near as bad as what you work in, but hot.

On the remote control crane I worked on, in the BOP shop, it was 179 degrees.
    One time working near a combustion chamber at the PreCarb, they used a piece of plywood to keep the heat off me. The plywood burst into flames after a while. And my casio watch stopped working.

But those are exceptions.
    Usually I have to deal with 100 to 125 or so.
    But you don't want to touch a ladle, those are around 500 on the outside. I think Tundish boxes are 300.
    The railings that go over the slab are actually pipe, and we have to have water flow to keep the railing cool. The slab at that point is 1,200 degrees, so the railing would burn you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Walking of the jobs is grounds for firing. The union can't really do much, unless we have a wildcat strike.

On the remote control crane I worked on, in the BOP shop, it was 179 degrees.
    One time working near a combustion chamber at the PreCarb, they used a piece of plywood to keep the heat off me. The plywood burst into flames after a while. And my casio watch stopped working.

But those are exceptions.
    Usually I have to deal with 100 to 125 or so.
    But you don't want to touch a ladle, those are around 500 on the outside. I think Tundish boxes are 300.
    The railings that go over the slab are actually pipe, and we have to have water flow to keep the railing cool. The slab at that point is 1,200 degrees, so the railing would burn you.

We all drug up which is local union slang for going back to the hall. We quite. There is always work for us guys.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We all drug up which is local union slang for going back to the hall. We quite. There is always work for us guys.

I think you had a different situation. Worked out of the hall. Assigned out for jobs. Then when the job was over back to the hall.
    Or at least that's the way millwrights and electricians work here, outside of the mills.
    But inside the mill, our union only covers people at the mill. And we have a contract with the company.
    If he contract is violated, we have to file grievances.
    If we strike, we violate the contract. Then the courts would slam us and the union with fines because of the lost income from the company.

We can only strike, between contracts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom