actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought the same thing when I saw it .:laugh:

Mostly, it'll be for pulling people out of snowdrifts.
    Give me better control than hooking a tow strap up.

Also, don't forget, various things affect the rating
    10,000 means it can pull 10,000 on a flat hard surface, with the spool almost empty.
    Snow or sand will increase the effective weight.
    If several layers of cord are on the spool, it will affect the torque applied to the motor.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, week after thanksgiving, who's helping me put Christmas lights up?

Speaking of which, I probably should install my Christmas controller sequencing software onto my laptop.
    If I sit at my desktop, my back seizes up and I can't get out of the chair.

I think I figured out, and solved, a problem with a song that didn't work last year.
    I left my controller on the porch after Halloween.
    So I can edit that song, safe it on a SD card, and test it out.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Also, don't forget, various things affect the rating
    10,000 means it can pull 10,000 on a flat hard surface, with the spool almost empty.
    Snow or sand will increase the effective weight.
    If several layers of cord are on the spool, it will affect the torque applied to the motor.

Oh, I get it. A 10k winch isn't always enough to pull a 9k truck out of a mud hole. Resistance can be a *****!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh, I get it. A 10k winch isn't always enough to pull a 9k truck out of a mud hole. Resistance can be a *****!

I'm a noob, so I had to research.
    https://www.warn.com/blog/2011/01/20/how_to_choose_the_right_winch.shtml

So you're looking to buy a WARN winch. How do you know which one to get? Well there is a formula for making sure you get enough winch for your truck, ATV, or side x side.

For trucks, it's simple. Take the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and multiply it by 1.5. For example, if you've got a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon two door. A quick visit to Jeep's website shows the vehicle's GVWR is right about 5,000 lbs. (2,268 kg). Multiply this by 1.5 and you'll get your minimum capacity. In this case, it's 7,500 lbs. (3,402 kg). A WARN M8000 is a good place to start, but for some extra grunt, you can move up to a 9,0000 or 9,500 lb. winch. Remember, you can always go up in capacity.

On the powersports side of things, it's slightly different. If you've got a sport quad or a smaller ATV (under 300cc), a 1,500 lb. winch, such as the XT or RT15, is a good winch to get. If you've got a larger ATV (300cc or greater in size), then you'll want to setup up to a 2,500 lb. winch, such as the RT or XT25. For the biggest ATVs, a 3,000 lb. winch i(XT or RT30) is the way to go. Now, if you've got a side x side, you'll likely want the RT or XT40 with its 4,000 lb. capacity specifically designed to pull the extra heft of a UTV/side x side.

One note for powersports buyers: You'll have a choice between wire and synthetic rope. Keep in mind wire rope is better for utility tasks and for winching in abrasive situations that might be hard on synthetic. However, synthetic is lightweight, easy to handle, and is great for use in mud.
    A lot of users recommend multiplying by 2.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Resistance is futile
    resistanceisfutile.gif

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    A niece sold, total replacement if not intentional damage.

It is looking like this SHOULD happen. The consultant is going to call. She felt like all but the smallest sauce pan should be replaced without question, but I told her I pretty much assumed they would replace a complete set with a whole new one. I will have to pay shipping to return them but that is WAY cheaper than buying new pots and pans.

My daughter is signing up under her to sell so this is an added incentive to keep mom happy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom